“Potential to be better”

Ranked #5 of 74 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
“Potential to be better”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

First impression : could
be better, was made to wait anit to get into their private parking as we had a rental, and no
clear directions were given.

Location : right in the heart of the old city, so do not expect bright sunny rooms but very handy location for restuarants and shopping. As we had a rental, going to the beach was no
issue, otherwise the closest beach is about 12 mins drive.

Room : had the best suite of the house with living room and little terrace. th room is dark but is offset with the terrace. Traditional and original design and furniture which I love. The bed was comfortable and bathroom huge although I am always abit weary that I am going to walk into the glass door to the toilet. Double sinks and huge rainwater shower is a welcomed options with lovely luxurious shampoos and bodywash. The downside is that the power socket is so low that it is so uncomfortable to plug in for charging the phones.

Service : generally service is good but not quite 5 star, missing the warmth here, and not as switched on as I was expecting. Turn down sevice is terrible, coming back at 7pm to find room all dark, windows and blinds all closed, a shame as it is still bright outside and as it was so dark, we could not figure out where the light switches were. Also the free mini
bar with only mineral water seemed alittle weak with 2 tiny bottles of water provided and we had to ask a few times for water, a nuisance really. Was also
dissapointed to find the same
lollies from the night before's turndown, not a good point for us. We found the night manager to be the nicest and genuinely warm and sincere.

Food : first dinner was included in our package and it was good but had to wait too long between courses and when I mentioned that the 7hr cooked
lamb was not well excuted as I was expecting it to fall off the bone, in which he replies yes it is
as I saw it in the oven when
I come in the morning...still, my lamb was not falling off the bone, perhaps 10hrs would get better result. Breakfast was pretty standard and limited but service was very good and she remembered how we liked our coffee and yoghurt, very attentive something to praise about.

Services : loved the private use of the spa but the spa itself was a joke as it is only programmed for 1 min each time as were told, ruined the whole experience really, shame as it was a lovely space. BUT the massage was EXCELLENT! I think it was Jose, he really knows his stuff, he manages to touch and release all your tensions in the right spot because he listens to your body and follows his instints rather than just giving you a standard massage...a shame we never got to experience more of his talent, definate wow factor and highlight during this stay.

Overall, a food experience but not one I would return in a hurry.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank drmandymoore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Irvine, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Booked this hotel for 7 nights during July 2013 as part of my 25 Wedding Anniversary celebrations based mainly on the reviews within tripadvisor. First of all the house has been masterfully turned into a boutique hotel by its owners and the surroundings are full of character and there are wonderful public areas for you to use during your stay.

We were welcomed by a friendly and professional receptionist whose English was second to none. We were provided with a glass of Champagne whilst we went through the formalities of registering and then the Hotel Manager gave us a guided tour of the Hotel and facilities.

The public areas within the Hotel are truly wonderful and can be used as an extension of your room for relaxation. There is also a small sun terrace on the roof for the use of residents.

The location of the hotel is very central and most of the attractions and shops can be reached comfortably on foot. Despite what other reviewers have said about having difficulty in locating the hotel on arrival, our transfer service from the airport had no difficulty.

There is a restaurant within the hotel which will provide breakfast or about 19€ per person. However, feeling that this was a bit expensive, we went elsewhere for a lot less.

Now the issues which I felt let the hotel down slightly. The Hotel is rated as a five Star establishment and in my opinion the room which we were allocated (Room 8) fell short. Whilst the bed was big and very comfortable the only available seating in the room was two very old rattan/leather covered hard backed chairs which were not comfortable in the least. The floor was covered in a sisal type floor covering which was hard and uncomfortable on the feet.

Also, light sleepers be warned, the nearby church bells sound every quarter hour and hour, 24 hours a day. At least you will know what time it is in the middle of the night without having to look at your watch.

The suggestion that a complimentary mini bar is provided is a bit misleading. A small fridge is provided within which you will find 4 small bottles of water.

The bathroom provided is fabulous covering almost as much floor space as the sleeping area. It has a bath/shower and a separate walk in wet room/shower. The only drawback with the walkin shower is that the rest of the bathroom floor needs a mop and bucket afterwards since the water goes everywhere! The towels provided were frayed around he edges and I know that some people will feel that I am being a bit picky, however, it is attention to this type of detail which truly makes the difference between the genuine 5 star hotel and those which are still trying to aspire to such standards.

The price paid was 5 star and in my opinion, the hotel fell short.

Room Tip: Previous trip advisor reviews have identified rooms to avoid. Make contact with hotel before arriva...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Doric1
Irvine, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The hotel here is lovely - very quaint! They have done a great job of renovating the building.

Whether the hotel merits 5 stars is another matter. It is not luxurious. For example the bedroom is carpeted in what I can only describe as sisal. I would have preferred the traditional Spanish tile floor - more hygienic I would have thought. There are two hard backed chairs in the bedroom - one with a wooden seat - the other with a raffia seat.

The bed is big and very comfortable and I have enjoyed good sleep - apart from the chiming of the church bells every 15 minutes,

The crowning glory of the room is the bathroom - it is huge. Big deep bath - separate walk in shower with a rainfall head and the sink is a fancy designer type. The towels, however, have seen better days and need replacing,

The wardrobe is in the bathroom and has drawers at the bottom, so the hanging space is half height - great for a man- but nowhere to hang dresses.

There are a number of lounges dotted around which have comfy sofas and chairs, so there are plenty of alternatives to the raffia chairs. There is a tiny sun terrace on the roof with 4 loungers.

So, if you want character, the hotel has it in spadefuls - if you want luxury - look elsewhere.

There is currently construction work in the adjoining building with work starting at 8 am. It looks like they have just got started on a renovation project which will take a while to complete.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carolyn111_12
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed for business reasons and let me tell you Imregretted the business time away from our room. The hotel is situated in the old town, inside a courtyard and the accommodation is grand on a scale like I have not really seen before unless it was a suite at the George V in Paris. The rooms are individual and there is a small spa which I didn't visit. The bathroom was enormous and really well fitted out. Only slight let down was the lack of a great restaurant for dinner although I believe they do functions there. Situation perfect, staff wonderful. Grandeur guaranteed.

Room Tip: All rooms are splendid but ask for one with access to roof terrace.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Tunbridge Wells UK
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had a most enjoyable five-night stay here at the end of June. We thought the rooms and décor were charming. There was not much of a view from our room, but situated as this hotel is, in the epicentre of the old town, that would have been an unreasonable expectation. It was easy walking distance to most of the sites we wanted to visit.

What made the hotel stand out was the quality of the staff and the level of service. Everyone was spontaneously friendly, and almost uncanny in their anticipation of our needs. Nothing was too much trouble.

Quality of the restaurant and variety of the menus were excellent. If I have a very mild gripe it relates to breakfast. There was nothing to complain of except rather a lack of imagination but he room wasn't cheap; we may have been more forgiving had breakfast been included in the price. As it was, after our first morning we breakfasted in the square around the corner.

All in all, though, this was one of the best city-centre hotels we have stayed in. We will certainly come back on our next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johnhopkins
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at four hotels in mallorca (in order): can cera, son brull, jumeriah port soller, and la residencia (see my other reviews for the other hotels).

I enjoyed Can Cera very much, and I felt it was a wonderful value for the money. I researched a lot of hotels in palma, and this really is the best one. The location is much more quaint and quiet than the ones in the center (like hotel tres or puro, both of which were incredibly cheesy-looking when I peeked in). And yet Can Cera's location is still very safe. You can walk everywhere quite quickly, which was important for us because we were only staying in palma for two days.

My one gripe is that our room, a junior suite, was incredibly dark---really no outside lighting to speak of, besides a window that opened directly into the central courtyard where anyone passing by or eating at the restaurant could see inside. This wasn't a terrible problem for us, as we only stayed at the can cera two days, and used can cera as our base camp to get changed and to sleep---we spent our days at beach clubs (las terrazas, puro, both of which I recommend) and then at night we went out to restaurants. But, it was difficult to overcome jet lag in a room that had no natural light.

So can cera was great for our purposes as a convenient comfortable "stop over", but is likely to be less desirable for someone looking for a quality room with great views.

PS Check out their spa. It is simple, but also free (you need to make a reservation though). We enjoyed it very much!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cambie032
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had originally booked the sister hotel Calatrava, but sadly they had a problem with their booking system and transfered us to this hotel for the 1st night of our stay.
I didn't mind at all when they suggested it as I had already read the great reviews.

The Can Cera is in a perfect location with a great courtyard area. Our room was was actually off this courtyard, and we loved it. It was a large room with a fab bathroom. We couldn't fault it at all.
The breakfast was ok, it didn't have a huge choice but what was there was good. The coffee was lovely.
Its a small personable hotel, with great staff, great rooms and superb location.

Its very different to its sister hotel Calatrava. We loved both hotels and would struggle which one to choose the next time we visit Palma.

I forgot what a great city Palma is.

Looking forward to our next trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends