“One of my favourite restaurants- ever!”

Basmati Indian Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 2,310 Restaurants in Palma de Mallorca
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Shahin Awal, the owner and chef of Basmati restaurant, is an excellent ambassador for Indian food in Palma de Mallorca. For almost 20 years, diners in Palma de Mallorca, diners have enjoyed the flavours of India through Shahin?s cooking, whose success lies in dishes made from authentic family recipes. One of his specialities is Peshawar Nan, a bread made with dried fruits, honey, coconut and almonds. The restaurant is beautifully decorated, playing music that instantly transports you to India. The menu offers a wide variety of options both at lunchtime and in the evening.
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I have bee going to Basmati Restaurant for many years now; I guess you could say most of the celebrations in my family have been under the dim light and soft music in Basmati! However, last visit was with my current partner, who had already heard so much about my favourite Indian Restaurant that he was happy to give it a go - he did not know, however, that Basmati was soon to become one of his favourite restaurants ever, too!

Where shall I start? Shahin's neverending hospitality starts from the moment you cross the door. The flower petals sprinkled all over the floor and the tables, and the lovely Indian decoration turn it into what I consider to be one of the most romantic restaurants ever: if you're after a romantic dinner do not hesitate, Basmati is the one for you!

The delicious food, propped with the amicable wine which never keeps flowing, makes the evening almost fly away! I especially love Shahin's thoughtfoul explanations on everything he brings out; I have been going for many years now and trust me, I never get tired of the menu because it is forever changing!

Before I went to India last year Shahin said to me: -Trust me, you will miss my food - and boy was he right! This is a truly innovative and creative style of cooking so if you just want your cheap and unflavored curry, do not come here!!

If however, you want delicious food in a beautiful restaurant by a welcoming and smily chef, Basmati is the place for you.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

The steps had rose petals strewn on them as we arrived, also the tables. I thought this was a nice touch. We chose the vegetarian set meal which was fantastic, a range of interesting dishes, you could have them hotter or not so hot as you wish. The staff were very good and the chef came out to our table to talk about the food. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are in Palma.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We recently celebrated my sister-in-law's birthday here and had the most wonderful evening.Starting at the entrance with rose petals scattered on the steps we knew we were in for a delightful time.The welcome received from chef/owner Shaheen was warm and genuine,the decor is so pretty and the food delicious.This is a tasting menu so no decisions about who is having what!Shaheen explains each and every dish that is brought to the table and the food is all made with natural ingredients and is so,so delicious.In short,10 out of 10! P.S going back tonight!

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Authentic Indian food made without using ready made sauces or cream and using the freshest produce available on the day.

It is a set menu €27.50 each and we went as a family of four (2 adults and 2 children) after reading great previous reviews on Tripadvisor.

We received a wonderful warm welcome from the owner with rose petals everywhere.....a nice touch.
As one of our children was just 9 years old and vegetarian, the owner made a special effort to bring some additional special dishes for him !!

He outlined the set menu and we enjoyed a great bottle of chilled house wine. It all sounded wonderful and indeed was delicious with great depth of flavours.

Food and wine is excellent as is the warm hospitality and Asian decor.

Well done for making it a wonderful special evening filled with great memories !

1  Thank Goodfood2day
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely looking restaurant - on a corner 2 blocks up from Santa Catalina market . When we walked in the waitress seated us, but took ages to ask us what we'd like to drink. The owner/chef (?) then explained the menu pricing ( including wine, water and coffee) and that the 4 courses were without choice - the starters were a pumpkin pakora and asparagus bhaji- all the food was good - when it came to the bill they had charged extra for sparking water ( they include tap water with set menu!) extra for a cortado and a cappuccino ( don't know what's included ? Nescafé ?!) and then 8% tax ( I have never seen a restaurant add tax on afterwards ) we left feeling ripped off for what was a nice (but expensive ) curry . BEWARE of the extras .