“Just OK”

Rekondo
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Service was mediocre and the food was only slightly better. It's fine but nothing to rave about. I ordered the steak and it really looked like something I could order at a diner. I will say that the wine selection was fantastic. So if you like wine, then it may be worth a try.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I am giving this five stars for its catagory, which is not the same catagory as Mugaritz or Martin Bertasagui, but of a straighforward cooking restaurant that is friendly, comfy, and efficient. Their specialty is grilling, and though I am not a steak eater, I had a to die for ribeye to accomany the red wines that I had planned to drink. I was not disappointed. I am told that this list is the biggest in Europe, and that would not surprise me. The list of Spanish wines in particular is astonishing. Dozens of vintages of Lopez de Heredia, Rioja Alto, CVNE, Vega Sicilia, Marques de Caceras; you name the producer, and the vintages go back many years, to the 19C in some cases. Prices are very cheap for these older vintages. 1964 Riojas for under $200. The location is lovely, and in warm weather, the terrace is perfection. Ask for a table away from the street.

1  Thank Nefelokokigia
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone wishing for an excellent meat dinner together with a nice wine. The wine list is extraordinary, it's a complete book! Perfect service, also in English (which is defenitely not the case evrywhere in Basque country). Our teenagers also loved the meat served suggested by the restaurant. Make a reservation. Several people had to turn around in the door while we where there not being able to get a table.

1  Thank Pholof
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Our hotel recommended this restaurant - and weren't we very glad! Our group of 7 enjoyed
a beautiful dinner on a Sunday evening in June - terrace closed but our view from inside
was lovely. We had called ahead to book, which was a good thing - they were quite busy as the evening progressed.
Seafood carpaccio was an absolute standout, and the roast pork was very highly praised.
The wine list is one of the most extensive I've seen, and the owners must have spent many, many years building an diverse and spectacular cellar.
We were highly amused to find the 'house' red than night was a bottle from 1986! it was no standout but definitely quaffable :)
Service was reasonably friendly - if a little perfunctory - certainly no extra smiles or chitchat from the staff.
This is not a cheap restaurant, however we all agreed it represented great value given the quality
of the food and the setting.....we will defintely return.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

When we got there, it had rained, so the terrace had to be closed and our table had to be given away, so we had to wait a bit. For that, the maitre served us a few free drinks - nice one. The views are great, the food is on the top range of San Sebastian - where the bar is already pretty high - and the service was very good. The highlight is the desert - dont miss the chocolate fondant, is like no other you have seen. Lowlight is that you have to reserve pretty in advance not to be left on the door. Parking might be an issue. Atmosphere is a bit too loud for the standards but that is a given in Spain.