“Absolutely spectacular”

Akelarre
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was on a holiday trip in the area, and as I had wanted to try a 3-star restaurant for some time, I decided to try Akelaŕe. I even stayed an extra day as it was off-season and they were closed for Sunday dinner and whole day Monday and Tuesday (so check out their opening time if you want to go there and are on a tight schedule), but it was sure worth the wait.
The service was brilliant, very nice, friendly and accommodating. I wanted to taste as much different food as possible, so I chose the tasting menu, of course. As I however don't like fish very much, there was no problem at all with exchanging a fish course with a meat course of a different menu.
The food itself was not only absolutely brilliantly presented and explained by the server, but it was also cooked to absolute perfection (which you would, of course, expect in such a restaurant).
And the sommelier brought for each course a glass of a different and great wine (or sidra / cidre, in the case of one course), excellently paired to match each dish perfectly.
I was there on a clear March evening, and the views directly out over the sea pretty much revealed only the lights of lighthouses, boats and coastal dwellings as the rest was a pitch-dark night, but the views during daylight hours and especially during sunset in summer must present an awesome panorama of the Bay of Biscay.
For this restaurant visit, I paid probably the most I ever paid for a single dinner (except perhaps once in the Intercontinental Hong Kong), but it was absolutely worth it!!!

2  Thank CosmoExPat
There are newer reviews for Akelarre

Reviewed January 19, 2013

The setting is like the Big Sur in California. We watched the sun set into the sea ... very romantic. The food was all so delicious and the presentation like works of art. The wine list was great and we recommend the 9-course tasting menu. It was our favourite restaurant in San Sebastian

1  Thank Nicole_shongololo
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Akelare has 3 stars and delivers, different from Martin Berasatogui, not quite as stylized in their service it comes accross a bit warmer and it must have beautiful views during the daylight hours, we were there on a dark and rainy November night. But we all come for the food, it started off with what looked like a bit of sand from the beach with some random shells,shrimps etc. it not only looked good but was tasty as well, the courses of the tasting menu keep on coming and the wait staff has fun presenting them e.g. oh, the chef forgott salt and pepper and just pile of what looks like salt and pepper on your plate -- it's delicious - and every one has a chuckle. The food is unique, delicious but don't expect any thing traditional invention and presentation is being pushed to it's limits. Great wine list, we had wines by the glass and they were dazzeling. The service, charming, caring you just felt good. Expensive, yes but that is the way 3 stars are. We will be back.

1  Thank Peakclimber46
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Since I was so amazed and enjoyed the restaurant last June, we went there with my mother for the second time.

The service and the view, were as good as before. (of course) however, the only disappointment was that they were serving the same course menu after a half year later.

Wish they could change the course menu more often, that's the only wish I have now.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We went to Akelare the night after an extremely disappointing dinner at Arzak the night before. We were concerned about the curse of the 3-Michelin star, mainly that you expect the absolute perfection that nobody can deliver on ( or people on Tripadvisor complaining about their designer shoe getting caught on the carpet??)

From the moment we walked in, the service was flawless. The staff were enthusiastic and excited themselves about the food and presentation.

Halfway through the tasting course I started to feel ill and told them I couldn't go on. They were wonderful. My boyfriend finished his tasting menu while I looked on in envy while they brought me a camomile tea immediately to settle my stomach (I was feeling a bit pesky prior to arriving, nothing to do with the food there!).

Every single plate was exquisite and even though we were both doing the tasting menus, they only charged me for what I had eaten. Though I'm sure given my poor timing they had already prepared my next plate I was never charged.

Without doubt my favourite 3-Michelin star restaurant in any country I've been.

5  Thank Silverswisstracksuit