“Wonderful experience”

Arzak
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2018

We went for the tasting menu as it gives you a great variety and takes the hassle out of ordering. The food was just art on a plate. The tastes were fantastic, the service great without being too pretentious and wine was excellent, best Pinot Noir I found in Spain.
yes the food is bloody expensive but you know that before you go.
The monkfish and Hake were both great as was the big truffle dessert.
I have probably had better meals in Australia but it was still great.

Date of visit: June 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (2,971)

Reviewed June 16, 2018 via mobile

We had been looking forward to Arzak for months and booked it as a splurge meal on the last night of our honeymoon.

While we had amazing meals at both Michelin starred and hole in the wall restaurants during our three weeks in Spain, Arzak was one of the worst meals of our trip. We opted for the tasting menu and felt that everything up until the main course (pigeon for me and lamb for my husband) was bland and uninteresting. The flavors just weren’t there. Additionally, we found the service disinterested and the waiters seemed to be just going through the motions.

We were really hoping to be blown away by Arzak and it makes me sad to write this review, but I would pay attention to the mixed reviews here and suggest spending your money elsewhere.

Date of visit: May 2018
2  Thank Jessica12826
Reviewed June 15, 2018 via mobile

We visited 3 different 3 Michelin star restaurants in this region and this was disappointing.

The service when we walked in was a huge let down. They couldn't not locate our booking for a while and one would have expected them to ask us to sit down or even offer a drink of something. It took them 15 mins to locate this - while we were kept standing we even showed them or email confirmation. This set the tone for the rest of our experience.

The food was nothing special. Lack of innovation and flavours that didn't quite go together. Plating sub par.

What's worse is that we could hear plates and cutlery clanking while they carried dishes up and down and loading the cutlery drawer in the dining hall. Did not need to see not hear this.

Our server was a tad arrogant even intimidated us, had his hands well on the table and resting on my partners shoulders at the start for drink orders. We haven't built rapport yet, maybe too soon for personal space.

Some of the first was dressed in shorts (what looked like surfer shorts and slippers)

As you are a three star this review is judged by standards and certain protocols a three star should adhere too. Highly recommended Akelarre or Martin Berasategui.
Begrudgingly paid the price. As customers, it is unfair when food and service is not up to standard, you still have to pay the bill.
I hope you take this feedback as a means to improve and no malice was intended here.

Sometimes one is left wondering when a star has been held for a long time if complacency comes to play as aware of the Michelin politics as well.

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank rietvar
Reviewed June 15, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I arrived for our 8:30 reservation and found out our names were not on the reservations list. We determined that I had missed an email from Arzak 2 months ago. Totally my fault. Their response? THEY found ME a reservation at another Michelin star restaurant (Zuberoa) and then squeezed us into Arzak for 2:00 p.m. the next day. Talk about customer service! Wow. Unbelievable. So we loved Zuberoa... but that’s for another review.

When we arrived at Arzak the next day at 2:00 p.m. they asked us if we wanted to see the kitchen. They knew our son is an aspiring chef. So we walked through the kitchen watching the staff of 25 to 30 busily going about their work.

We chose the tasting menu and every morsel was creative, delicious, perfectly presented, and mind blowing. The service was impeccable. The wine pairings were perfection.

Really I can’t say enough about our experience. Meeting Chef Juan Mari and his daughter Chef Elena was also a treat. If we come back to San Sebastián again, this will be the first place I book. Magnifico!

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank fredh832
Reviewed June 13, 2018

It was a plan that was made over some time to visit Arzak. When booking from overseas, there is some doubt, but not with Arzak. Being treated like kings and queens for the day is what Restaurante like this is all about. Sitting down to the full tasting menu was the only way to go. Course after course we were treated to amazing plates of art. The flavours and experiences in each dish showed the creative and out there abilities of the family of chefs. From start to finish we were treated to a theatre of food and to top off the day we met the great duo Juan Mari and his daughter Elena. Our traveling group have a habit of meeting some of the top chefs in the world and I hope it continues forever. Love Arzak

Date of visit: April 2018