“Surprised”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 10, 2018

We were traveling with our parents in San Sebastian & staying at the Maria Cristina. After a few days of constant Pintxos and Basque cuisine, the parents fancied a change of flavours and so we opted for Cafe Saigon. Although the name suggest it a Vietnamese cuisine, its more a mic of Thai, Chinese and Vietnamese. I must confess, I didn't really hold much expectations given the exceptional variety of the local cuisine in San Sebastian.

We ordered the beef pho, tom yum soup, duck curry, mix vegetables, duck salad & fried rice. The beef pho was pretty good, though they served up cabbage instead of beansprouts & the basil was a little on the mean side... otherwise beef was tender & the soup pretty good. Also I liked the duck ... the skin was crispy & the meat tender and served along with curried aubergine..... not what I expected of a duck curry but the flavours wasn't bad.

Overall, the quality of the food was better than expected. Whilst the flavours were of some of the dishes were not 100% authentic, it a good alternative for those craving some asian flavours .

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed November 17, 2018

This is an Asian influenced restaurant. The food didnt live up to the standards set by the hotel...not sure if this restaurant is independantly owned.
The ambiance wasnt up to snuff and the service was mediocre. We left disappointed.

Reviewed October 26, 2018 via mobile

We went to Cafe Saigon and had the fixed menu with wine last night.
It was very tasty and the service was just great.
Went back again this afternoon for imperial egg roll ( light and not greasy), beef and rice noodle soup, and Singapore noodles. All were very good and we're planning to go back for more before we leave San Sebastian. Highly recommend and five stars.

Reviewed October 21, 2018 via mobile

Maria Christina ought to be ashamed for letting this eating disaster under its roof. The chef has no clue what he or she is doing. Wonton soup more like wrotten fish souped up. Spring rolls so beautifully displayed on the Menue is a frozen rectangle all fake ChineseV/N in Europe put out. Sea bass frozen stiff , thawed in a microwave and an attempt at a cover up with herbs on top of its shrivelled up body. Fried rice was literally that. When complaining there was no attempt at remedying! I keep telling myself don't try eat Chinese/Vietnamese in Europe but I fall prey to false luring by unscrupulous vendors. Come consult with me,I will show you how it is done. In the mean time stop lying to your customers. My advise don't go!!!

Reviewed September 23, 2018

Even that it is called Saigon it is more Chinese than Vietnamese and what a pleasure to sit here after a day of sightseeing. Quiet, pleasant service and authentic food with no gimmick. A surprise.

Date of visit: June 2018