“An excellently located superb hotel”

Barcelo Costa Vasca
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Whenever a client insists on booking a hotel on my behalf a cold sweat develops on my brow! In the case of the booking made for me at the Barcelo Costa Vasca I really had nothing to worry about. Check-in in the modern lobby was quick and efficient (although it's been a while since a hotel in Europe has asked to see my passport). My room, located on the fourth floor, was extremely bright, spacious and perfect for my stay. The beds were exceptionally large and comfortable, the bathroom (bath & shower) excellent. I particularly liked the distinctly separate desk area (with lots of electrical wall sockets) as I had work to do on my laptop during the stay.
The buffet breakfast was superb (particularly the selection of fresh fruit for the healthy and waffles and caramel syrup for the likes of me). The evening menu, while a little limited in choice, is superb value at just €14 for three courses plus a complementary digestif. Coffee and snacks at the bar are also good quality and value.
Location wise the hotel is well placed being just 250m from the seafront and the beach. The geography of San Sebastian means that nothing is too far away with the downtown shops, bars and restaurants being no more than fifteen or twenty minutes walk.
If there was any criticism to be had whatsoever it is the charging for the car park - €20 per day to stay in the open over-ground car park or €25 to park underground. If the actual room prices were not such good value this could almost be a deal breaker but, that said, the charges didn't taint my stay whatsoever.

Room Tip: you can't go wrong even with a standard room!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,871)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

All facilities included here, good location, great service and lovely rooms. This hotel was very easy to find and staff at reception are very helpful speaking several languages. The spa facilities were fantastic and the rooms even had balconies. Excellent sized rooms as well with plenty of space to move around and store belongings.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Although we only stayed one night, this hotel is worthy of mention. It is near the "new beach" area of San Sebastian- about a 5 minute walk. The hotel is very modern and has a very open feeling to the lobby. The staff was very friendly and spoke good english. We did not use any of the hotel facilities other than our room but they looked nice and inviting. The room was very spacious and had a good view with a large window to create as much light as you would like. However, we needed sleep so the black out curtains were a nice touch. I would consider it a large room by european standards with plenty of room for the two of us to move around. The bed was very comfortable with crisp new bedding wrapped around it. The bathroom was very nice with a great waterfall type shower head. The included blow dryer already plugged in was nice for my wife. Hardwood floors throughout the room and great climate control. What more could you want for slightly over 100 euro!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ColoradoSean
Reviewed October 13, 2012

While I was there the hotel was undergoing some renovations, I can't say that this ruined the experience however of course it is not the best option. The rooms are tidy and very clean, the bathroom as well. I also enjoyed the breakfast a lot. If you don't mind walking you can roam around the city on foot. If I ever went at San Sebastian again definitely I will use this hotel

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AkmalMagdy
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Excellent quality large hotel a pleasant 30 min walk along the beach to the old part of San Sebastian, Has car hire on site which was handy, although it was closed on Sunday when we wanted to leave, so we had to pay for an extra 24 hours rental, plus expensive 24 hours parking! The room and bathroom were really good, the pool and pool facilities excellent, there is a very small fitness room and a spa with amazing massage therapists, for rainy days! Also, we didn't want a full breakfast buffet, so it was great to have the option of (really nice) coffee and croissants very cheaply in the bar.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2012

it is a good old, well renovated hotel. Fairly good service, great breakfast, comfortable room,...I have not checked the spa and gym but the outdoors pool is a must in good weather. Well located, close to the beach in the most beautiful city in the world !!!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Most reviews on here are bemoaning the car park costs - happily we took the train from Madrid and a taxi from the station (7 Euro) so no such issues with us.

The location isn't great for the centre of town but we thought it was fine. It sits atop a quite steep hill with the La Concha Beach about a 5 minute walk away. The hub of the town is a 20 minute walk but that was fine - our weather was great and the scenery marvelous.

The hotel was a more business than tourist but that just meant it was professional and efficent. We stayed in room 607 which was on a corner and had a larger balcony as a result. The room was large with twin beds shoved togther to make a double. There is also a desk to do your business and a pricey mini-bar which we quickly cleared out to make way for our Aldi bargains!

The bathroom was lovely with twin sinks but no lock on the door! The shower was good although ours dribbled a bit. There was a good offering of freebie toiletries including toothbrushes and show shine sponges.

The out of town location meant it was peaceful at night and we had no trouble sleeping after the walk home from town and nightcap in the bar below.

The hotel has a spa which was didn't use but it did have a nice pool and free loungers.

The breakfast here was excellent and I took full advantage of the piles of fruit and cakes. There was also some fried options although the thick cut bacon didn't appeal. There is a chef on hand to make up your own choices at no extra cost and he did me a great cheese and chorizo omlette. They also offer Cava and wine if you need the hair of the dog. There were also lots of drink options including Netpresso cartridges and a selection of tea bags and chocolate powders.

The hotel also does an evening meal option of 3 courses for 14 Euros. This is posted daily in the lift and I think it suffered from poor translation as we weren't tempted too often. When we did go it was excellent with my 'chicken thigh' a great crispy offering with a potato gratin and a mushroom suace - and I don't usually like mushrooms! This was great quality and value with the wine in the 10 Euro range.

The bar is massive with plenty of TVs and a pool table. The drink was reasonably priced as were the bar snacks. I had an excellent beef and mash that just fell apart in the mouth for 12 Euros.

We stayed a week here and personally I'd have been happy to move in permanantly. As mentioned it is a bit out of town but as a jogger this gave me more routes and there is plenty to explore.

Well recomended - as long as you leave the car!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner to double your balcony size.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple