“Great local hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Parma Hotel
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Great local hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

The hotel Parma was just in the perfect spot to enjoy the flavor of old town San Sebastian. We were across from the CUBE, the beautiful boardwalk and beach and just a block away from the center of town. Pintxos haven! The food was reasonable and exquisite nearby. This hotel was quite nice, clean and offered a varied breakfast buffet. The staff was quite helpful in locating restaurants and other points of interest. I would return and stay at this hotel while in San Sebastian. Great Location!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
iazurza, Propietario at Parma Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thanks very much for taking the time to write a review and for your compliments.

Next time you visit us I would be happy to greet you in person.

Iñaki Azurza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

If you are going to San Sebastian this hotel has the one of the best location in town close to old/historic centre. Next time you may want to go somewhere less noisy. The staff was amazing. I think i met 4 or 5 of the receptionist. All of them were very friendly and helpful all the time. The rooms are relatively small, the walls are thin and there is some traffic noisy coming from outside. Those are not matter because San Sebastian is very beautiful town and you will be outside all the time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
iazurza, Gerente at Parma Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. As the Manager of the Hotel, I always insist that hospitality is the most important part of our work. I am proud to hear that we did a good job with you.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

The goods: location is perfect. It's right by the Old Town, about 15 minutes by bus from the central bus station and about 5-10 mins stroll from the beach front. It is also very close to the old town centre, where the restaurants and bars are. Staff are *generally* friendly - I say generally and I will elaborate further on in my review...

Prices are not bad as well - I'm guessing due to its location, demand must be quite high for it so I guess the price is fair and good. There is also air-conditioning in the room in case it gets hot, although we didn't use it at all.

The bads:

The walls in the hotel are EXTREMELY thin. We could hear the usual noises - next room using the bathroom, people walking outside etc.
We also got a room which was on the ground floor, right next to the road pavement which meant we could hear every passer-by's conversation very loudly. This became a problem on Sunday night, when we had groups after groups of loud party-goers making drunken noise right outside our window up until 4-5 AM. We then had a ridiculously drunk and loud group of guests in the room right above ours shouting, throwing furniture (god knows what were they throwing around) and behaving in general, inconsiderate behaviour at about 4 AM as well. We rang reception to complain and about 5 minutes later, we could hear their phone rang (yes, the walls are that thin). I don't think the guests picked up the phone, so another 5 minutes later we could hear the reception banging on the door telling them to be quiet in French. This didn't seem to have any effect at all, as the noise carried on for another hour or so by which point we were just too annoyed to complain again. Safe to say it ruined our last night at San Sebastian as we had an early train to catch the next day! In my opinion the person in charge of the reception should have checked from time to time to ensure that the noise had really disappeared - if I could hear it all the way from the ground floor (and my room was extremely close to the reception!), he must have heard it too!

To add to the bad experience, on the last day when we were checking out, we also asked for directions back to the bus station. The guy gave us bus directions which did not seem clear to me so I asked him a few questions, but he got very impatient and told me to just take the bus as it'd take me straight to the bus station. From our experience with the bus, his advice that the bus would take us right outside the central bus station did not exactly sound logical and true enough, the bus stop that he told us to alight at was actually still about 10 minutes walk from the central bus station. We didn't mind that, but that actually justified the questions that I was asking him but clearly he was too impatient to answer them.

I'm in two minds about whether I'd recommend the hotel or not - the last night's experience really ruined it for me. I'd say - if you find other hotels in the same area with the same rates, go there instead. Otherwise, Hotel Parma may be a good option but make sure you notify them that you don't want a room which may have a lot of noise if you mind that.

Oh and I forgot to mention - they take photocopies of your passport when you check in, which is fine. However, I'm not sure this is done in the safest way as when we came to check-in, someone's passport was just lying on the front counter available for anyone to grab and run away with. We made sure to wait by the reception until our passports were photocopied (which took a while as there was only 1 person by the reception to deal with a few customers at that time) - so just be careful. I'm sure nothing would have happened but it pays to be safe sometimes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank pink_hoshi28
iazurza, Director General at Parma Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
We appreciate your honest opinion, and deeply regret your negative experience. Sometimes it is difficult to neutralize rude noises and drunken customers, however we will try to improve our performance in these unpleasant situations.
The desk staff strive every day in giving the best possible attention to all our customers, and reviews like yours make us strive further.
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed for 1 night in the Parma hotel in San Sebastian in July 2012 after a ferry trip from Portsmouth to Bilbao. Good location from the ferry as a relatively short drive and well located in the town close to the beaches and old quarter. The room was clean and bathroom was ok, however, the room we had did not have an external window and was very dark, I persoanlly did not like this so would suggest checking upon booking if you feel the same. Parking was a nightmare! The town was very busy and the street parkign spaces totally full. The hotel does offer spaces, but you have to negotiate one way systems and for me terrible traffic to get there.
Overall the hotel was 'ok' fro one night, although I personally would not stay there agin.

Room Tip: Check to see if the room has a window, many were 'internal' and no view, even of a building!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

I had so much trouble figuring out where to book a hotel inn San Sebastian. Because some of my top choices were sold out, we ended up at the Parma Hotel. Our lack of selection turned out to be good fortune. Our room was more than comfy. The location of the hotel couldn't have been better and most of all, the staff was knowledgeable, friendly and hospitable. I will go back to San Sebastian and when I do, Parma will be my first choice. I love that place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank labonnevie
, Director General at Parma Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Madame:

We really appreciate your kind compliments and your nice words about the staff. I always insist that hospitality is the most important part of our work, which is why I am proud to read your words.

Many thanks and best regards.

Iñaki Azurza
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stay at the Parma Hotel two to three times a year. It is located in the Parte Vieja (the old town of San Sebastian) which is a labyrinth of narrow lanes with an overwhelming concentration of pintxos (tapas) bars. It's a short walk to La Concha Bay and the surf beach by the convention centre and minutes from the wonderful shopping avenues of the city and the fabulous fish market. The Parma has 27 rooms with a guest parking facility (16 Euros daily) in the Maria Cristina public car park, a short walk away. We know the staff well and have formed a close friendship with them. It is perfectly located, clean, comfortable, well priced, good value and we would not stay anywhere else. For us it's home from home in our favourite city in Spain.

Room Tip: book an external room- one that has a sea or street view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cheryl S
, Propietario at Parma Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Cheryl:

Many thanks for your kind words. We strive every day to make our guests feel at home, and reading your words seems like we got it with you, which fills me with pride.
I sincerely appreciate the human relationship with customers and employees of the hotel, and this relantionship makes my job worthwhile.
Bedford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Travelling down to Malaga stopped for 1 night, it is a clean Hostel, couldn't call it a Hotel, all No Smoking,, No car parking, No lift, and to add insult even at 118Euros for one night, no Breakfast included. I will say the room was clean and the bed was not bad. We would Not recomend it if you are travelling, try the Ibis Hotel.

Room Tip: Dont stay here if you are looking for value
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
iazurza, Gerente at Parma Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Sir:

We regret that you found the Hotel expensive, but when the demand is high (we were fully booked that week) prices logically go up. You had a sea view room in San Sebastian, which is the most expensive city in Spain (even in salaries), in a very located Hotel in the city center. We find that the quality of the Hotel added to a good location is worth the price that you payed.
If you ever visit us again, ask for the parking, because we do have one.
Many thanks and best regards.