“Small hotel but perfect location.”
Review of Hotel Niza

Hotel Niza
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Situated right at the mid point of La Concha Beach, this small hotel (containing the world´s smallest bathtubs, I´m sure)¨is wonderfully located.
My daughter, son in law, and grand daughter had one of those lovely oceanfront rooms and the view is truly spectacular. As I was in a single, my room (for about $45 less) was street view but air conditioned (and their bathtub was no larger :)
Staff was wonderful and spoke English; buffet breakfast not worth the cost, but coffee in the restaurant or next door at a cafe overlooking the sea was all we needed.
Do eat pinxtos for every lunch and go down to LaVina for fabulous cheese cake.
Loved San Sebastian, it´s the best European beach I´ve visited.

Room Tip: We asked for ocean front and were told maybe. If you are a single, tell them that you are willing t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mench

Reviewed June 13, 2012

perfect view from the room. i think there are some that might not have a bay view so definitely recommend a room with a view of the bay.

its so close to the ocean that the waves are almost too loud at times. luckily that helped me sleep.

staff is very friendly, internet works in the room. this was the perfect spot.

Room Tip: request a bay view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We loved this hotel! The room was a sea view on the 1st floor and although the bathroom was very small the room was clean and had everything we needed. The view was amazing - right overlooking the beach. The reception staff were very friendly and although we had a language barrier they tried their best to help us with bus times etc. The breakfast was lovely and the lady working at it every morning was very friendly and helpful. There is a door that leads directly to the beach and as the weather was so good it was great to just head out and lie in the sun. We tried to have dinner in the downstairs restaurant but it was fully booked and we were gutted as it was our last night and it looked lovely - stupid of us not to book. Instead we had dinner in the upstairs bar and it was really good - especially the dessert and the wine. All in all really good hotel and we would definately go back.

Room Tip: Definately ask for a sea view room
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Although much of the hustle and bustle of the city is in Parte Vieja (Old Town), I could not have been happier that I chose to stay at Hotel Niza, which is about a 5-10min walk from Old Town. The hotel is literally RIGHT on the water, and also it is on the end of a string of hotels, so you don't feel as if you're boxed in on either side with big tall buildings.

The hotel is about a 5-10min cab ride (I think I paid under 10euros) from the main train station. Once at the hotel, it's literally right outside the door and you're at the main beach (La Concha). It is also a very central location of the beach, so it's about a 5-10min walk down the boardwalk to the west/left to a pleasant part of the city with some local shops and markets, and then also a 5-10 minute walk down to the east/right into Parte Viaje, which is where all of the main shopping and Pinxtos (tapas/bars) places are. Also, it is an easy walk to the Aquarium and the famous "Jesus statue-" a gorgeous hike with fabulous views.

The restaurant bar that is downstairs is also very good. They have two flatscreen TVs in the bar area that allowed me to watch one of the futbol games while I ate, and it was usually filled with people who seemed to be locals to the area - which is always a sign that the place is good. It also was reasonably priced; I got 2 tapas and a glass of wine for under 20euros.

I did not do breakfast there because earlier reviewers said it was not that great, and it was 11euros so I passed. You can walk into Old Town or even over to Antiguo (the aforementioned part of the city to the west/left of the hotel when facing the ocean) and find some very good bakeries and markets where you can get a good breakfast for about 5euros.

The hotel also lets you borrow umbrellas, which was a nice perk for me at the time because there were lots of intermittent showers. Also, at check out I was having trouble with my train ticket, but I didn't have a phone to call the customer service of the train station, so the receptionist so kindly let me borrow the hotel phone to make a long distance call!

Overall - I highly recommend this place. Although I didn't have an "exterior room" with a view (that earlier reviewers will rave about, and I could see how awesome it'd be, but there are no single rooms on the exterior unfortunately), I still had a nice, clean room that I enjoyed.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Abby L
Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

We had a comfortable, sun-filled room with a small balcony overlooking the bay for 110 euros a night, a great value. Classic old elevator. Helpful staff: restaurant recommendations and reservations, travel directions, taxis. Excellent breakfast buffet with a view of the sea. The same space is a bar/restaurant the rest of the day, with good food and excellent service. The location is perfect: right in the middle of the boardwalk. The beach is great, and a wonderful community space (eg 13 kid soccer matches Saturday morning at low tide).

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Withyscott
Reviewed May 22, 2012

So annoying, booked a reservation Feb 12, 2012 for a stay June 19th 2012.
A few weeks go by and I am looking at our itinerary and realize I don't have a confirmation from this particular booking in my travel folder that I'm using in my email account to track all hotel, flights etc confirmations and booking info.
Contact the hotel to ask why I never received a confirmation, please could I have one and request an ocean view room; since my credit card was charged I had assumed it was booked and wasn't really worried.
With about a week of back and forth (due to the time difference between Spain and Canada) it finally came to light that I was actually charged a no show fee as the reservation had been booked Feb 19th 2012 - which I found surprising since I'm very careful with date selection.
Still not acknowledging the "non receipt of a confirmation" I ask again, why didn't I receive any confirmation and what is your policy on sending people confirmations.
Reply from hotel "our policy is to send a confirmation, you should have got yours X date"
I reply again I did not receive a confirmation, I'm really upset I was charged a no show in error, is your hotel willing to take any responsibility or look into the matter considering I never received confirmation.
Response your confirmation should have been sent x date....
So I'm not sure if anybody even checked to see if a confirmation was sent out, but at this point I am no longer interested in staying at this hotel and am filing a claim against them through visa to get refunded the money they took from my card without my authorization.
I recommend staying in chains for this reason.....no B.S. and dependable policies.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank robotasaurus
recepcion, Director General at Hotel Niza, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Dear Ms. Fort,
As we have already explained to you and proved, with the booking reservation that we sent you last week by email, you were the person who made the reservation for February instead for June. Nobody else made the reservation or amended it. You put all the booking information such as your name, room type and of course the dates.
- On the same date that you made the reservation you should had received to the email address you wrote on your booking (as the Hotel did), the confirmation for your reservation. We have checked with our booking engineer and the confirmation was sent to you on the 12th February at 18:15h. If you have not received it on your inbox probably it is because your email account might had detected it as a spam and deleted.
- We clearly explain in our Terms and Conditions of our web site and with the booking confirmation, our cancellation(s) and no show policies. "- The reservation can be cancelled with no cost until 18:00 PM of arrival day. The credit card is used only as a guarantee; there is no charge when booking. Only if no cancellation or no show in the hotel or arrival after the 18 hours, the hotel reserves the right to charge the first night on your credit card (and after checking it)."
On 19th February you did not arrive to the Hotel (it was clearly a NO SHOW) and we charged after 18h from the credit card given on the reservation.
- At the Hotel Niza we are sorry for all this misunderstanding, but we think that you should have checked your booking and be more careful when you put the reservation’s dates in order to avoid unpleasant surprises.
- We really do not think that you are in the position of complaining on Tripadvisor, just because we did not refund the first night we charged for your NO SHOW.
Hoping that you can now understand that we cannot accept any responsibility for this mistake, best regards,
Mr. Alberto Essery.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed here for several nights in Sept. 2011, and we absolutely loved this charming hotel. The hotel kind of feels like a hotel Hercule Poirot would stay at if he ever came to visit San Sebastian.

Our room was spacious and nicely decorated, with a very elegant bath. We did not have a sea view but had instead a view over the street, which was entertaining in itself. We were told that the rooms with a sea view are booked months ahead, so next time we will book as early as possible. Very quiet location, we experienced no noise while staying here.

The old school-elevator is very cute. Nice and efficient staff. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel as there are several nice cafès in San Sebastian that serves breakfasts.

Very good location by the city beach, and a 10 minutes enjoyable walk to the old quarter. The hotel offers parking in a garage nearby at E15 a night.

We would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Book as early as possible to ensure a room with a sea view. But rooms without sea views are also nic...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple