“excellent site in San Sebastian”

Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra
Windwardside
“excellent site in San Sebastian”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This recently renovated (e.g. all modern conveniences) historic hotel is remarkable for its location and view of the entire bay that makes the city famous. It is worth it to pay for the seaside view rooms (with small balcony,SRO only) for viewing the sunset, constant people promenade, and the city at night. Staff was very helpful, and the valet parking a valuable asset. Well worth the price. Staff was helpful in finding a good regional restaurant. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: ask for seaside view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 18, 2012

There are several reasons my wife and I keep coming back to Hotel Londres. In no particular order they are: the proximity to the beach, the design and style of the hotel, the hotel's bar room, the neighborhood, the rooms and balconies facing the ocean, the helpful staff, the patio tables/restaurant, the beautiful boardwalk it sits on, the proximity to the Parte Vieja, and that's only off the top of my head. Surely there is more.

I did complain this year about two things: 1. a chambermaid knocked while entering our room while I was not dressed and while I exclaimed loudly that we were in the room and to please not come in now, she inexplicably kept coming and trying to hand me a wastepaper basket that belonged in our bathroom. I was literally holding a pillow over my undressed body with one hand and waving her out with the other. She insisted on leaving the basket which she laid on the floor as she walked out. What the heck????
2. There was a very loud celebration at the port which involved a bandshell pointed right at Londres. I was hoping the break the bands took at 11:30pm would be the end of the music, but I was wrong. 2 different heavy metal thrash bands came on and played until 2am.
It was *insanely* loud in our room despite our double-pane balcony doors and all that. We didn't sleep that night until 3am and we had to leave the next morning at 11. We eventually changed our plans and they gave us a 1pm checkout so that we could sleep another hour that morning.

I inquired and received a message from the hotel's GM that the port celebration was not under their control and they apologized for any inconvenience it may have caused us.

My response was simply that a 4-star hotel in the line of fire of a bandshell should have some details about what's going on and a schedule of the festivities to some degree. I would even go so far to say that in that very small city, they might even have a say in the event since they would be so affected.

So, we had a less-than-stellar experience this time around, but we *will* be back. From New York City, we travel for pleasure frequently around Western Europe and Hotel Londres has been, and still is, one of our favorites.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

We found the hotel to be lovely. The old staircase, chandeliers and beautiful sitting area looking out onto the beach were fantastic. This was a little more on the expensive side for our trip, however I think you get what you pay for and in this case it didn't disappoint. The bathrooms were large and well set out, the bedroom was of a reasonable size. The breakfast was great with so much choice. Location was great if wanting to head to the beach, also very central to the town with most things within walking distance. The train station was a little bit of a treck but definately manageable.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in July, Excellent value, perfect position overlooking the bay- make sure you ask for a sea view room- and the staff were fabulous.

Prompt attention to anything we needed. Good beds, lovely rooms and the stff made it all most enjyble

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed July 14, 2012

The hotel is very well located just at the sea front and quite near of the old town, where you can find the best bars an restaurants in San Sebastian. The soundproofing of the door is poor, and the services should be a little better. The price that I paid is the same that I pay in any hotel during the peak season. I really did not see a better hotel in SanSebastian than this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I'd heard good things about this hotel but in my view it was just too oldy worldy. The view however was outstanding and the staff friendly. Its very conveniently located next to the shops. Not sure I'd go back.

Room Tip: Make sure at check in you state that you dont want non-smoking as its allocated by default
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Plano, TX,USA
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Hotel londres

I just spent 4 nights at the hotel Londres in room 313.  It was listed as a Jr. Suite with an ocean view.  The hotel location was ideal: literally on the beach and adjacent ti the old town.  The only comment is that the parking is a bit tricky.   It's necessary to make an immediate turn via the taxi/bus lane when turning away from the beach.  There is a diagonal driveway that puts one in front of the hotel.  My advice: have the valet take care of it.  The parking price for this is competitive and life is short.  The room had a great sea view and wad well furnished with a lot of historical items from Mati Hari's life.  She spent a lot of time in the area and is a historical interest for most of us.  My son slept on the foldout couch and we had good privacy.  Note that the doors did not lock, however.  Everything worked well during our stay and I would  stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012