“Overrated. I don't know why this is rated so high.”
Review of Pension Ondarra

Pension Ondarra
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Don't get me wrong. The rooms are beautiful, and the staff are nice. And it's always nice smelling with the aromatherapy scents. There is free juice, tea and water.

What's not to like?!? It is damn hot in the summer and it is really noisy. So you can't open the windows. And I have a USD400 Bose noise cancelling headphones and little earplugs and even using both together didn't do the trick. I had to close the windows and open my door at night, just not to get a headache from the stuffiness. Even then it was noisy, so even during wintertime it will be a problem. Too manu drunken unruly Spaniards at the wee hours in the morning!!! Too bad ALL rooms face the street, as I saw from their floor plan.

Too bad. I love the room. But it's a matter of wearing high heels that hurt your feet so bad because all you needed was a comfy pair of sneakers.

And before I forget. Because of their bad logistics, they tried to double charge me. I paid in full the first day because their reception is not 24 hours. Just to make sure I settled before I leave. Guess what. A day after I left I got a note saying my cc didn't work and if I can give another cc. They were apologetic after. But if it did work they would have double charged me and it would have been a hassle.

They need to get the basics right. A quiet room for a good night's sleep is quite basic!

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank bankergirl1016
soypensionondarra, Owner at Pension Ondarra, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

First I ask my deepest apologies, it is not to our satisfaction That the stay of a guest is so very uncomfortable and annoying.
Indeed, opened its doors Pension Ondarra on August 13, 2011, and the average temperature Considering That of San Sebastian is 15.6 ° C, we thougt That using double windows and thermal insulation, air conditioning would not be Necessary, but we were wrong. There are Certain days of summer, it's hot, and can Effectively stay uncomfortable.

We have used the last few weeks to close Pension Ondarra and install air conditioning in all rooms and public areas.

We'd love to meet you some other time and get you'll take another impression of us.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Good location, a few blocks from the beach and a short walk from the old town. The rooms are very tastefully decorated, with small but stylish bathrooms. There are many very good cafés close to the pensión where you can have breakfast. Bottles of water and fresh coffee are available free of charge. Helpful staff.

On the downside, the rooms don't have air-conditioning, and are very hot at night. In addition, there was some noise from the street and from neighbouring rooms (the shower in the room next door was particularly noisy), so we didn't sleep too well. The rooms have TVs but the reception is very poor, with frequent pixellation and loss of signal, making them unwatchable.

Room Tip: All the rooms overlook the street, so expect some noise at night.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael S

Thanks to reviews like yours, have helped us to find the weaknesses of Pension Ondarra and we reacted. We have installed air conditioning in all rooms and lobby, and we have a new TV antenna that ensures perfect reception of both Spanish channels and some international.

We deeply thank you to help us improve!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

You will not be disappointed if you stay here. I had no idea what to expect but this hotel far surpassed my expectations for a 2 star hotel. The location is perfect as you are less than 5 minutes from the beach, 5-10 from the old town, and right next to some amazing pintxo bars. There is a lot going on in this area, however it is much quieter at night when you want to sleep. Ondarra is clean and everything is brand new. There is good closet space, a nice bathroom/shower, desk, etc. The owner is particularly nice and friendly. He even helped me park my car in the garage... (It had been a while since I drove a manual and I was a little nervous about the garage). He gladly helped and made me feel very comfortable. The free water and espresso machine are an added bonus, plus the free wi-fi! Do yourself a favor and book a room here! :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Erin S
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I am travelling alone, so I got the single room.. read that it was small.. But was pleasant surprised as it was not that small for me... I stayed 6 night and like it a lot..

The Nespresso machine in the reception arial was great touch together with the water.
The free use of computer... and of course the owner Andony ( not sure about the spelling ) that was most helpful .
The place was spotless ,, for me a great location, away from the old town, but walkable to most of the city. Some complain about there was street noise.. but you are in a city.. so there will be noise, but not a lot in my mind. I do not sleep with air-con anyway , so did not miss it . Just an open window.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Galapita
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Very contemporary in decor with light wood floors, white walls and dark brown and grey accents. It was spotlessly clean throughout. Our room was quite small (we could only open one suitcase at a time), but not unexpected in Europe. However, the closet had tons of hangars as well as a bunch of shelves, so it was easy to stash things away so you weren't tripping on them all the time. The bathroom was very modern and had places to put toiletries; the towels and bed linens were quite nice. It was in a great location across the bridge from the Old Town and shopping area, and close to the beach and the train station as well. A computer terminal in the lobby was free as were bottled water and coffee - a very nice touch. No breakfast, but there are a number of places within a block, so it wasn't a problem. The front desk guy (whose name I've forgotten) was quite friendly and helpful. He even had a list of what to order at each of their recommended restaurants! The only problem was finding it. It's on the first floor (up one flight from ground level) in a building on a street with offices, shops and apartments. We didn't see a sign and had a heck of a time finding it when we arrived. The lack of A/C was fine for us since we were there in mid-April, but it would definitely be a deal-breaker in the warmer months. But in the cooler months, we'd definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ItchyFeetBTS
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Nice place, clean, great service by the personnel, trendy and extremely well located. Downside is that there's no airco and the street is very noisy. Good price/quality. No breakfast but there are at least 3 places within 50 meters.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sreinyer
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

If Ikea and Apple teamed up to make a small hotel in an urban beach town this it what they would create. Nice, clean, simple, short walk to everything, and more affordable than most places we checked.

I would only suggest they add air conditioning. It was rather cool when we were there and the rooms were fine but any warmer and I would have been uncomfortable.

Parking garages are close but expensive in San Sebastian so factor that in. There is a very close place to do laundry across the road. Recycle bins are close by as well.

Wifi was free.