“Great location, delicious seafood but a bit pricey”
Review of Marinela - Igeldo

Marinela - Igeldo
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are known for our fresh products, quality customer service and table side scenery that is unforgettable, offering great grilled seafood and fish. The establishment is open from March till the end of October and we can welcome up to 80 guest.You can enjoy our traditional sailor´s dishes like fish soup, baked stuffed crab or squid in black sauce.We are located in the heart of San Sebastián´s shore, near by The Paseo Nuevo, The Old Town and The Aquarium offering great views and a unique atmosphere.
Reviewed September 24, 2018 via mobile

An outdoor table looking out at the marina was the ideal setting for a delicious lunch. The staff was friendly and multilingual. We had the white asparagus, grilled prawns and grilled monkfish which were all delicious. The prawns were small but so lip-smackingly good that we ordered a second plate to demolish. Everything was on the pricey side but so fresh and tasty!

Date of visit: September 2018
NathanL1693, Gerente at Marinela - Igeldo, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2018

Thank you John!

Reviewed September 20, 2018

I really enjoyed two visits to this restaurant in the heart of the port of San Sebastian. It is a very small terrace restaurant. On my first visit I ordered Salmon, however the waiter, on establishing that I was from Ireland steered me away from something that I could have at home as their Salmon comes from either Ireland or Norway. I accepted his advice and changed. On both visits my companion and I both had seafood, and why not? They had a display of seafood on a shelf waiting to be cooked and served. It was almost like it came out of the sea, went straight to the kitchen and then back out to the restaurant on a plate ready to be enjoyed. The staff were extremely efficient and very knowledgeable about their product. A decision to let the waiter choose our wine was an excellent one as he did not let us down. The one surprise was that they do not serve coffee. The reason given for this was that their kitchen is too small for coffee machines, the restaurant itself is too small for people to linger over coffee after a meal and if anything went wrong with the coffee after a nice meal, patrons might remember the coffee rather than the food. A good choice I think. For the benefit of Irish readers, this restaurant is a favourite of one of our most popular celebrity chefs, though I'd better not name him due to privacy laws. I'll certainly head this way if I'm ever lucky enough to be in San Sebastian again.

Date of visit: September 2018
NathanL1693, Gerente at Marinela - Igeldo, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2018

Thank you! See you on your next visit to San Sebastián!

Reviewed September 15, 2018 via mobile

No idea why there are good reviews for this restaurant. The food was really terrible!! Service was snobby and it was VERY expensive!!
Had prawns which were really tiny and way too greasy and the hake which was also cooked in way too much butter and mostly bones. Baited and switched me too with an up charge when I thought I was getting the meal of the day price. AVOID!!!!

Date of visit: September 2018
NathanL1693, Gerente at Marinela - Igeldo, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2018

Hi,

Thank you for your review, to clarify we don’t use butter in our kitchen, only olive oil.
The prices are in the menu are exposed to everyone in every language, no prices are hidden. we are sorry to hear that they weren’t appropriate for your budget,

We hope you enjoy your Camino De Santiago.

Reviewed September 10, 2018 via mobile

We managed to get a table for 6 of us here on a Saturday night during the regatta weekend. I shared monkfish with a friend, it was simply cooked but absolutely delicious. Two other friends shared a seafood barbecue platter with lobster, prawns and scampi. All amazing.

Date of visit: September 2018
NathanL1693, Gerente at Marinela - Igeldo, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2018

Thank you Louise!

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

We were only on San Sebastián for a day trip and were very fortunate picking this restaurant from Trop Advisor. The scallop starter we shared was delicious as was the monk fish and grilled hake. I would definately eat there again as were the people at 2 neighbouring tables.

Date of visit: September 2018

Thank you! See you on your next trip to San Sebastián!