“Best cheesecake in the world!”
Review of La Vina

La Vina
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Whether you consider yourself a cheesecake connoisseur, or just a food lover, the cheesecake at La Vina is something that you will remember long after the other memories of beautiful San Sebastian have faded. It's totally unique and the recipe is a closely guarded secret (so far). It's interesting to note that when we couldn't remember where La Vina was after our first visit there, almost every restaurant in San Sebastian knew where we meant, just by mentioning "cheesecake". It's famous, as it should be! Don't miss this culinary treat if you're in San Sebastian! YUM!

2  Thank hankmail505
Write a ReviewReviews (1,479)

Reviewed April 15, 2012

All that we tried was better than we expected. Hongos (mushrooms), shrimp, pulpo (octopus). . .

Reviewed January 3, 2012

Every time I go to San Se', I stop at La Vina for the cheese cake. When I returned home last September, I decided I needed to find a recipe for the tarta to keep me going between visits. 7 eggs, 1 kilo of cream cheese, 1 3/4 cups sugar, 1/2 litre of cream, 1 TBS flour. Good luck finding an implement to combine it all in your non-commercial kitchen. I started with the electric mixer beating the eggs, then added the sugar, cream, flour. I added 1/2 tsp vanilla. I beat this well with the whisk beater. Then with another bowl and the paddle, I beat the cream cheese. Trying to combine the two proved to be too much for my mixer. I guess if you had that professional kitchenaid it would all fit, but I had to batch it. The recipe called for a immersion blender--I am gonna buy that for my next attempt--so if you have one of those, use that. You want it smooth. Line a 9 inch spring-form pan with parchment and make sure it carries up several inches above the pan--it will be important as the pie rises and rises in the oven. Pour in the batter. Place in a 430 degree Farenheit oven for 30-50 minutes. You want the top to turn a dark brown and the parchment to brown. My recipe called for 30 minutes but it was still too unset in the center. I kept it in the oven until it was almost completely set. The color will be your best indication of doneness---you want it dark and carmelized! Take out, cool on a rack and then put on your comfy pants and enjoy! My Tarta rose 2 inches above the springform--like I said, it's like a souffle.

8  Thank Planet09
Reviewed October 24, 2011

From another world just fantastic! If you have one desert on your trip make it this one.

1  Thank ardis5
Reviewed October 15, 2011

It's all in the title. Tarta de queso, or cheesecake, to die for. They also have some delicious hot tapas and one of the bar staff looks a bit like Nathan Fillion, but the reason to be here is cheesecake. Not to be missed in San Sebastian.