“Location, location, location!”
Review of Pension Regil

Pension Regil
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at Pension Regil, and our host Inaki was fabulous.
The location is perfect, a short walk from the beach and the old city. San Sebastian blew us away, and being close to the beach made it even better.
Our room had a small balcony overlooking the street below and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom is tiny but it has everything you need.
It is up a flight of stairs, so just keep in mind that you have to carry your luggage upstairs or give Inaki a call so he can come and assist you (which he very kindly offered to do for us).
Next to the entrance on street level there is a small pinxtos bar that looked delightful, but when we came back later (it was a Sunday) it was unfortunately closed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the street, it is beautiful.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ECVP
There are newer reviews for Pension Regil

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Great place only 2 min walk to the beach and about a 10 min walk to the old centre. Be aware that nothing is open on sundays.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I spent 2 nights at the Pension Regil (34 euros per night, single), and enjoyed a brilliant stay. The pension is located just one block in from the beautiful La Concha--a truly spectacular beach in cleanliness, view, width--and within a short walk of the Parte Viejo, as well as the mountains that cap each tip of La Concha. My room was fairly spartan, with a single bed, small, clean private bathroom (shower only, but who comes to San Sebastian for a bath?), and a small enclosed balcony overlooking the street below; I was concerned about this proximity to the street at first, but it turns out that San Sebastian goes to bed fairly early by Spain's standards, and gets up late too, so I was never once bothered by the street noise. Above all, the innkeeper, Inaki, really helped make my stay perfect.

I arrived at dawn on the train-hotel from Salamanca, and Inaki buzzed me in and showed me to my room, whispering, "Check in later--sleeping!" in the quiet hallway. I rested for a few hours, and when I got up, he greeted me warmly, gave me a map of the town, which he promptly marked with his favorite pinxto bars and sights, and answered a few questions that helped me plan my day. He was always enthusiastically warm and friendly, knowledgeable about the city, and flexible in helping me with my strange arrival and departure times. I can't wait to go back to San Sebastian and stay again at the Pension Regil, for the price, proximity, security, and sincere friendliness of Inaki. Great town, great pension, and a great person to meet.

Room Tip: If you must have a place in which to nap in the afternoon, you might ask to stay in one of the rooms...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2012

At 42 euros + tax for a double room, this is probably one of the cheapest places we have ever stayed in! We had only 24 hours in San Sebastian, so wanted to be as central as possible and the room was just a place to get a few hours sleep. The bathroom was tiny and the room itself very small -not much wider than the bed - but it had a bay window with 2 chairs and, incredibly, a sea view! Free wi-fi too! Staff were very friendly and helpful and we would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: We had Room 1 and the only issue was size. I'd happily pay a bit more for a bigger room, if avai...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Pension Regil is a no frills, but comfortable spot in the middle of San Sebastian. The proprietor is friendly, responsive and knowledgeable. The rooms (our group rented three) were inexpensive, but certainly comfortable, safe, and served our needs as a rest spot between exploring the area. You can certainly spend more, but it will be hard to get more!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Inaki was very friendly and nice, and was happy to show me all the cant miss sites in San Sebastian. The room was cleaned every day and was very cozy. The location of this pension is perfect, a short walk to the beach and close to many restaurants. Overall I had a wonderful stay.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I have stayed here twice, once in 2010 and once in 2011. The 1st time I stayed in a room without a window but it was clearly mentioned to me it was the last available. It was still worth it for the price and a short stay. The 2nd time I got a window room with a cute balcony, nice ocean breeze and people watching. The owner and his staff are exceptionally warm, welcoming and helpful. Rooms are very, very clean, beds are comfortable. The beach, Old Town and a nice supermarket are all within short walking distance. I highly recommend this pension and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Request a window room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple