“Very nice” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Astoria 7
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
“Very nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

Beautiful room, very quiet, very clean. Price was very reasonable given the quality of the room and hotel. Breakfast was included and was plentiful but not very exciting (but the oj and coffee were excellent). Staff were friendly and spoke excellent English. Location is a bit far from the center but otherwise pleasant; proximity to buses and taxis was a plus for us. Only drawback for me was the smoke detector directly above the bed that kept blinking all night long (two tiny red lights that indicated it was operative, I guess; didn't bother my wife but bugged me). We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Julie Christie room is very nice.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank David I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Algonquin, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

I came into town without a reservation and was accommodated in a lovely room with all the amenities of a 4 star hotel for a quick one night stand. I was able to catch a cab just across the way who took me all around the town so that my sightseeing could be accommodated. I love this town! I will be back - nothing wrong with this place - very comfortable rooms, beds and lovely baths.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank consolegal
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

Great ambience!! Neat, comfortable, artsy, and well locate. Few minutes walking to the beach, and place of interest. Good for couples or families too. Staff is friendly and very helpful. We'll be back!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

Found this place while walking down the street after arriving in San Sebastian by train. Got a decent deal for a 5 night stay. Clean room, decent sized shower, lots of charm actually. Hotel restaurant was pretty decent and the free breakfast was good. Downstairs lobby was very inviting and a good place to start or wrap up the day.

Cons were not many, had an ugly view toward the rear of the hotel. We were in the Melanie Griffith room which had a big picture of her above the bed and well, that was kind of weird.

A good value in my opinion.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

Clean and friendly staff - you expect these at this level of a hotel.
Breakfast is very average and they would not ask you if you would like to have anything from the kitchen such as eggs, bacon etc. So do make a request, if you wish to have some hot breakfast. They forgot to give us a wake-up phone call on one morning, so you should have your alarm clock ready just in case. Parking 16 16euro daily.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

My husband and I visited San Sebastian and stayed in the hotel for 2 nights in late November. We took the bus from France and the hotel was literally across the street from where the bus dropped us off.

The room was a great value. It was the nicest room for the least expensive price of our whole trip. I am not sure if this was due to time of year or not, as I know San Sebastian is a beach town.

The hotel had a nice cafe where we were able to grab a quick, late lunch upon our arrival.

The room was large and very clean. The bathroom was amazing. It was almost as good as my bathroom in the US!

I know some people commented on the location. It is about a 10 minute walk to the center of the city. Personally, it did not bother me, as I live in a large city and am used to walking places. And I find it nice to have a walk after eating a meal.

It was also very conveinent to catch the bus to the airport. The bus to the airport cost less than 3 Euros, whereas a taxi would have been about 35-40 Euros. The hotel location was perfect for arriving and departing town. Personally, I'd rather have the hotel be close and conveinent for arriving and departing town. I am more than fine walking when I am touring around and to and from dinner and don't have my suitcases for me.

The hotel had a very nice gym. I enjoyed a long workout both days I was at the hotel.

Another fun feature was that the hotel had a library of movies with DVD players in the room. I was fighting a cold, so didn't feel up to doing much, so we enjoyed movies one evening.

The hotel staff was very nice and spoke great English and French (the languages I speak). Our last night, they made a great dinner recommendation.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChicagoTraveller76
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed in the Ursula Andress room during our stay here at the Astoria 7.
The clean and crisply designed room had a large black and white photo of Ursula hung above the bed and we felt well cared for under Ursula's comstant gaze :-)
This hotel really was terrific -- it's a former cinema that was converted to a hotel and all the rooms have a movie star name and theme -- sounds kitchy but in fact it's so tastefully done that it actually leaves you amused and charmed.
The staff was superlative and we received several very excellent dining tips from Adorre the head chef of the Astoria 7's cafe and restaurant.
The location is easy walking distance to the beach, the old town and the center and the local public transport buses run right out front. Another big plus was that the inter-city bus station is right across the wide street out front and we easily caught our bus to Bilbao from there -- couldn't have been easier ....

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple