“Only one Michelin star....deserves a second!”

Amelia by Paulo Airaudo
Reserve a Table
Thu, 6/27
8:00 PM
Description: Amelia is located in the romantic area of ​​San Sebastian, its location is particular; "hidden" in a little busy street, a few meters from El Buen Pastor Cathedral. We are a modern restaurant, with capacity for 28 diners, where we only serve tasting menu; Combining different flavours, textures and memories in creations, to make this trip an unique experience. Our work philosophy focuses on using seasonal, sustainable, raw material and the revaluation of forgotten products. We mainly relate to small producers who share our values, who go over markets, to provide us fresh and top quality products daily. The winery of Mario, our sommelier, shares the same philosophy; Covering different countries of the world, making sure its method of production is biological or biodynamic. He has chosen to serve 90% of our wines "by the glass", giving our diners the possibility to taste the greatest variety possible. Welcome!
Reviewed October 15, 2018

A truly wonderful and memorable evening deserving all the great reviews. I was rather nervous at first since it was a surprise menu but since there are 14 courses/bites, I knew there would be more than enough to eat and was right. Interesting and different, beautifully presented, attentive service. Chef Paulo Airaudo is clearly extremely passionate about delivering the best in every respect - whole experience was worthy of 2 M stars. It was our wedding anniversary which was acknowledged on arrival and were offered a small glass of sparkling, lovely touch. The wine list is varied (leaning on Italian),chose a white which was extremely well priced and excellent so don't feel obliged to take the wine flight.

Hard to remember all the 14 courses (apart from a few standout dishes - blinis, chicken wings, fish, aubergine and desserts to mention a few) since I took no notes or photos but at the airport while waiting in the Lounge, I wrote a list, then found, left on a table a printed menu from the night before us! Working my way through what we ate, there were minor alternatives of core ingredients, clearly keeping all ingredients so fresh based on availability, very clever especially since apart from the chicken wings there was no meat as such; there were sweetbreads which I couldn't eat, I tasted a tiny bit and gave the rest to my husband who enjoyed both plates!

My only disappointment was since Paulo is Argentinian I though he may present a course linked to his heritage, also it would have been nice to receive a menu on departure, not before as loved the surprises!

We came to San Sebastian for a couple of nights just to 'eat'. Amelia did not disappoint, if we lived here, we'd be back frequently!

Date of visit: October 2018
2  Thank MayaNSL

Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

My parents and I went last night to Amelia for dinner. We are from California and we know and love fine dining-culinary experience.
We sat down and were welcomed with a very engaging gentleman.
We don’t speak Spanish and very surprised to be able to converse with him in English.
He discussed with us the different options and wine pairings.
The food was exquisite and his wine service were flawless.
Doesn’t feel like it was only his second day as he mentioned to us early in the conversation.
Don’t remember his name but he will be a great asset to this amazing restaurant.
See you soon I hope

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank petermoon1884
Reviewed September 19, 2018 via mobile

This restaurant has one Michelin star. We had a visit to the kitchen at the beginning. Nice experience. Food excellent. Service and waiters very professional. I think they will get a second star soon.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank hernandod451
Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

We visited Amelia with two other couples and we were blown away by the dinner seasonal tasting menu. Each course was very creative, full of flavor and perfectly prepared. With only one exception, the matching wines fully complemented the food. The welcome visit to the kitchen and the chat with the chef were great additions to a wonderful dining experience!
Book in advance if you plan to visit San Sebastian.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank giancarlob
Reviewed August 7, 2018

The experience was interesting. It is certainly innovative, different from the more traditional restaurants in the Basque Country, including the ones with Michelin stars. In this regard it seem to us that the restaurant would belong more in places like London or NY. Indeed most of the customers were foreign.

I could not make any negative comments. Perhaps the menu was a little too long for me, too many dishes (about 14 if I counted well). I would have actually enjoyed it more with just 11 or 12. I was too full by the time the last dishes came.

We were greeted by the very friendly chef and owner in the kitchen when we came. It is impressive to see the ultra-modern kitchen where about a dozen cooks from all over the world are working with full concentration. The restaurant itself is pretty small with place for perhaps 25-27 people at most. It has a nice post-industrial feeling to it.

The dishes were original and superbly presented. And yet I would say that only 2 or 3 of the 14 were truly memorable (the tuna tartar, and the egg yolk and chicken wing). The rest I will probably forget soon.

The service was efficient, friendly and multilingual.

As a summary, interesting and enjoyable experience, but it will not become a place I visit regularly.

Date of visit: August 2018