“Greatest little hostel in town”
Review of Lolo Urban House

Lolo Urban House
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Booked on line , provided with excellent directions. Hostel is centrally located in one of the pretty squares off the main Boulevard. Über clean and tidy , young team of staff very helpful . Large pleasant bunk rooms , plenty of WCs and showers . Breakfast included. Far and away the best hostel accomodation I have ever stayed in .

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Lolo Urban House

Reviewed May 14, 2013

20 of us stayed here during a 2 night stag do in San Sebastian.

We were greeted at Check in by 2 very friendly staff members who helped explain the rooms and gave me the breakdown of what was left to pay.

We were took to our rooms.

Its just what you would expect from a professional Hostel.
We had 3 rooms of 6 beds.

All were big spacious rooms and all the beds were clean and had good linen.

The Older 2 of our group had a private room in another building of the Hostel, and they said it was perfect for them.

The Location was excellent.
It was quiet and it felt very safe and secure.

There were several showers on our floor and despite 18 of us needing a shower early on the final morning, they were all hot.
A couple of the shower rooms were bigger and better than others, but all were decent.
And although not sparkling clean were clean enough.

I would stay here again when coming with a group of friends.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is one of the most discussing places I have ever been to! I traveled for a month and half with clorox wipies with out opening the package because every place I went was clean, until I ended up in this place!
Lets talk about the room first, the beds have seen better days, they are worn out and need to be replaced, the duvets and pillows I believe have been there before WWII by the looks of them. I was only able to lock my room from the outside, meaning when I went to bed my bedroom door was open for anyone to walk in. I was in room number 4 and you can hear all of the noise outside.
Regarding the employees, As a fluent Spanish speaker, I expect to be able to speak Spanish in San Sebastian, but instead I was forced to speak English because the employees spoke a level of kindergarden spanish or none at all. I could understand if I was asked to speak Euskera which is the proper language of the pais vasco, but spanish is the second language. There is no security or anyone available after 10:30pm, so if there is an emergency or unruley guest you need to take care of it yourself.
The first night besides the horrible bed was quiet, the second night which was on a friday there were a group of guys who had their doors open as they were getting ready to go out and were screaming to talk to each other. SInce there was no one to go to, I got up out of bed at midnight and asked them to be quiet. They left and started screaming outside at 5 am drunk and then came inside and started screaming in their room hanging out on the balcony (my luck my room was right next to theirs) and no one stopped them. The hostel has a rule sheet that says anyone that makes noise after 10 pm can be expelled from the hostel, but since they have no one working there at this hour no one can expel anyone.
The next day since I couldn't sleep I decided to talk to the manager, the hostel opens its front desk at 9 am, this is when u can have your breakfast by the way. So if u want to start your day early u are out of luck. I was told the manager wouldn't be in till the afternoon, I then asked for the book of complaints (libro de reclamaciones) which by law they are supposed to have. The guy who spoke no spanish was not from spain had no clue what it was. So I gave him two options either I get the book or I call the police to bring me complaint sheets. The manager was able to come down right away (he lives upstairs).
After giving my complaints, and the manager gave me [--] answers I asked for the book of complaints again. He couldnt find it and bla bla bla One hour later I got fed up I called the police and all of the sudden the book is in the other locations and I had to wait for him to get it. The police reminded him what the laws were, they are supposed to have a book in every locations, and they are supposed to give u the book when u ask for it.
OH, and I met a guy that stayed in the hostel for a few days, but because he didnt have money to stay there anymore, he was sleeping in the park across the street, and they used to let him come into the hostel to use the internet. So non guest were allowed to hang around. Safe place!
Please find another place to stay, this place doesn't deserve customers, it should be closed down!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank maggie30
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Had a very good stay in Urban House, I was greeted by very friendly staff that were willing to help me out with anything. The location was perfect as it is close to everything. I enjoyed my stay at Urban House and would recommend it too everyone, thanks for the stay

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed at Urban House one night only. Never again. It was dirty, run down, and wildly overpriced. The owners have no regard or respect for their clients, and are obviously in it only for the money. My private room was dark and smelly. It had one pokey window opening onto an internal light well. On the other side of the light well and open to it was the bathroom. I had a choice of no ventilation at all, or what air, and stench, came in from the light well / bathroom. The bathroom served about 8 rooms, had no shower curtain so it was constantly wet. Towels were not supplied. My room had only about half the number of lights as there were light fittings and was unswept. The pillows and duvet were old and stained. Just dreadful. Avoid Urban House.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've been with my wife in Urban house for 4 days 13-17 August 2012 during the famous "Semana Grande".
We were accomodated in a double room with bath at first flor in an apartament in Fermin Calbeton (old town).
during the "Semana grande" that apartament is very noisy because is located at first floor just up a tapas bar that close at 6 a.m.
than the windows was without curtain it mean that we could't open it because too close with front building and near the street level (no privacy).
Room very dirty, the linen weren't clean when we chek in.
bathroom close without fan.
No towels in bath.
Conclusion: price like an hotel but with service and room value like an hostel

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2012

After traveling for 3 months in and out of hostels, this one would have to be the worst! This place stinks, filthy dirty and I'm currently wide awake at 5:30am not only due to the noise but the random people coming in and out of my room and also worried that the walls are gonna collapse on me! Security is terrible and the whole place is in desperate need of TLC.. my dogs kennel is cleaner than this dump. And when I say dump that's putting it nicely.. My advice is ask a bum for his bed for the night because it would be better than this rubbish!

• Stayed: September 2012