“Bad hostel in a good location”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Lolo Urban House

Lolo Urban House
Sydney, Australia
“Bad hostel in a good location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

Stayed at this hostel not by choice during running of the bulls festival in July 2010. My friends and I were part of the busabout tour.

Ok so...

Good: location and staffs are friends. The hostel is very closed to restaurants, the beach, the shops. In short, it is well located.

Bad: The shower, where do I even begin. There are two showers for the whole floor. It was kinds small, old and not the cleaness shower. You have to push a small button to get the water going which lasts only a few seconds. Then you have to push it again. And again. And again.(This goes on until you finish showering),

The common room, small, messy, dark. You can hear whatever going on in the common room from all of the rooms. Which means lack of sleep at night.

The bed, not comfy, not sure if the sheets are clean.

Next time I go to San Sebastian I would definetely pay more. San Sebastian itself is a very very beautiful town. Go crazy with the pinxtos!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed at this hostel during 2 nights at the beginning of August. Since I have read some reviews I expected messy check-in because they have more buildings where the accommodation is offered. But you can't complain because they explain it in arrival info. I stayed in the building on the corner of Elcano and Bengoetxea street, 2 minutes walking distance from the main building on Boulevard.

First of all, I was surprised by attitude of the staff. They were all helpful and answered my questions with smiles on their faces. The second positive is definitely the location. My house was approx. 2 minutes walking far away from Playa Concha Beach.

I stayed in 4-beds dorm, which was clean, with terrace and lockers. Wifi access was free in the lobby as well as in my room (but not sure if in each of them). Showers and toilets were OK, could have been cleaner...

They also offer free breakfast but I didn't try it. 50 metres from the hostel you can find very nice cafe which offers great breakfast (coffee, croissant, fresh juice...). Kitchen with amenities is possible to use as well.
I recommend you to buy food at the big shopping mall "La Bretxa" at Boulevard street, where you can find supermarket, laundry service etc. Only a few steps further you can find Information center for tourists where you'll get all the essential information about what to do there. They speak also English and French.

To sum it up, San Sebastian is amazing (but expensive) city and Urban House is a great place to stay during your visit. But if you prefer quiet place to have a rest and sleep well, choose the other one.

Room Tip: Write an e-mail in advance in order to get a building (room) which meets your expectations.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

If when you hear the words ´backpacker hostel,´ your mind conjures images of lumpy mattresses atop shaky bunk beds, piles of clothes and change sprinkled throughout your mixed dorm, ink-jet-printed hostel happy hour specials such as ¨2 x 1 wine or beer 1,50€, 7 - 9 pm,¨ you´ve hit the jackpot! Considering I spent all of 18,50€, I suppose I shouldn´t have expected more, given Urban´s fantastic location on the fringe of old town and close to the Concha beach. My room had a balcony that allowed a picture-perfect view of the gorgeous plaza, and I relaxed there with a book for part of the afternoon just before taking a nap.
As in all hostels, you´re at the mercy of your room´s location and your roommates. At 4am when torn from my slumber by several shouted renditions of ¨Jack & Diane,¨ I cursed the plaza. At 6:30am, when awoken by the extended inane babbling and giggling of my dorm mates, I cursed them. They displayed a total lack of respect for the fact that they were sharing space with others -- I´ve already mentioned their numerous piles.
Urban´s common area is dark and kind of made me sad, but their showers plain perplexed me. In one, a soiled, white towel laid crumpled on the tile before the entry, attempting but failing to cover a missing floor tile. The shower had only one button, and since a small circle in the center was red, I correctly inferred that after depressing it, the water would be hot. Don´t wet yourself at once, your chance comes 10 seconds later, when it´s a tolerable lukewarm. If you are the size of a hamster, then you might get completely clean on the first button push - congrats! If you´re any larger, you´ll have to face the consequences of pushing that red button again and dealing with the scalding water. This isn´t enchanting.
The workers who were there were a kind bunch of kids.

I think next trip through, I´ll dish out more to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank bearandtree
newton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

The staff was very friendly. Hilary helped me get settled in to my room; showed me around Old Town, taught me about pintxos and made sure I had everything I needed. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Jersey Channel Islands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

Was a complete nightmare only staying one night, spent half of the time trying to get our room sorted out where we staying,the staff couldn't work out...were we in this hotel or another one around the corner?Which was stressful considering they watched us bring all our belongings upstairs, Although when the aussie manager did arrive he seemed to take more control and was very helpful and apologetic!He definitely made the best out of a bad situation!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these San Sebastian - Donostia hotels

Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

Given the absolute disrepair of the building, our wonderful hosts Anna & Kate did everything they could to make our stay a very pleasant and welcome one. They were very helpful and accomodating and would highly recommend staying here if not for any reason except these two women. Whilst the building and facilities were not up to date due to no fault of the staffs own, we had a fantastic time here and would do it all again in a flash.

• Stayed July 2010
mjn_00
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

I was surprised to read such a negative review of Lolo Urban House, I think this could well be one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. The hostel itself is clean, spacious, very social and in a brilliant location - in the heart of the old town right next to all the best tapas bars and many beautiful sights. The staff were really friendly and helpful, I don't think we would have had anywhere near as good a time if it hadn't been for their great suggestions of places to eat and things to do, they even took us all out for drinks and dancing!
Overall, a brilliant hostel and an excellent holiday.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple