“Best "regular" restaurant”

Bodegon Alejandro
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We had lunch there twice and tasted different stuff everytime. I liked it better than La Muralla but they're both close in price and taste. It is a great restaurant at just below star level. Don't miss the desert!

There are newer reviews for Bodegon Alejandro

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This restaurant is very highly rated so we decided to dine here. Our restaurant experience would have been better, I'm sure, if we had ordered something more exotic. My spouse ordered steak and I ordered fish. Both were delicious but not better than I had experienced elsewhere. I was a little disappointed because I wanted to order the tasting menu but it was not possible for only one person to order that, and the other order off the menu. My spouse wasn't very hungry so I gave in and ordered off the menu as well. At some of the tapas places in the area, I had food that was just as good in a more festive atmosphere.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Located on one of the busiest streets in Pinxto crazy Old Town, it is easy to pass by the door that opens to the stairs leading down to Bodegon Alejandro. With no Pinxto bar drawing in tourists from the crowd this very special restaurant calls only to those who have done their research on TripAdvisor and seek out some of the best food in San Sebastian. The service and the food are equal to much more expensive places in this town that has no shortage of stars. Don't miss it!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We arrived (with reservation) early (8:30) and were promptly seated; the service was friendly, helpful, good enough with English, and attentive. The food was to die for. We split an appetizer of the Basque fried peppers tossed with sea salt and then had another starter (large size) as an entree (spider crab salad) and traditional tuna stew (bonito). All were very tasty.

A man at a neighboring table insisted we try the French toast dessert and it was absolutely great (and like nothing we can get in the states.) It seems to be soaked all day in creme (sort of like tiramisu) but then finished off with a crusty top (ala creme brulee).

We'd go back there tomorrow night except for the fact that we keep eating at out-of-this-world Basque restaurants in San Sebastian with very reasonable prices. (The above with a bottle of water, a beer, and .50 bottle of a good local red wine came to 85 Euros.)

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We began our evening with a pintxos appetizer across the alleyway in Bar Txalupa since we were jet lagged and very hungry on our first evening in S Sebastian. When we descended down the stairway into this charming restaurant, we were the first to arrive. Once seated, we were given menus and then ignored for about 10 minutes while the waittress greeted the numerous other tables that arrived at the same time. Once she came back to take our orders, the service improved greatly and she was forgiven! We were given a complimentary gazpacho that was light and refreshing, along with an interesting presentation of bread crisps to begin our meal. For our main course, I orderd the tuna belly, it was excellent. My husband had the veal cheek served atop a bacon and onion terrine. WOW. As good as my tuna was, I had serious plate envy. It was melt in your mouth tender, but very rich. We shared a dessert of peach gnocchi with ice cream. The meal, along with a mid priced Riojan wine came to about 90 euro.