“Trip to Bilbao - average”
Review of Bilbao

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Grenoble, France
5 helpful votes
“Trip to Bilbao - average”
Reviewed August 31, 2008

We have returned (when I say we I mean, me, my husband and my Guinee Pig) a weak ago from vacation. We have traveled from Grenoble, France to Spain, by car.
In first place we wanted to go to Malaga, but because it was too hot, we decided to go to Bilbao, near the Atlantic ocean.
We have found a special offer, for the hotel, at the Abba Parque Hotel, right in the center of Bilbao. The hotel was clean, nice, with all the average facilities. Most of all I liked that it was clean. The hotel personnel was not very friendly, but they were ok. The hotel was not very expensive, 71 euros per night, which I think it was acceptable.
The parking in Bilbao is very expensive, 10, 90 euros for 5 hours, to park outside. The underground parking starts from 16 euros to 20 euros per day. What is good to know is that the outside parking, in the afternoon (from 13h) is free, for the month of august.
What I disliked, is that in Bilbao people, from the Information tourist point, are not very good with the explanations. Sometimes it is better to ask those which are on the street. In short, if you want to find something or go somewhere you have to find it yourself, or ask the people who are walking on the street. This is why we found, the beach, which is in Plentzia (45 min away with the subway from the center of Bilbao) 4 days after we arrived in Bilbao. And this because it was logical to be there. Not because the people who are payed to explain you that are doing their jobs.
So, what is nice to visit there is the small village, Bermeo, which is at 20 km from Bilbao (if you go with the bus you will make 1h and a half), and is right next to the ocean, and of course, the small church, on an island, San Juan de Guatelugatxe (you can go there, by taking the bus from Bermeo to Bakio). This place is absolutely magnificent.
In short, the trip to Bilbao was ok, but there are things which could have been a lot easier if the personnel who is trained and payed to help the tourists were be doing their jobs.

3 Thank Arielle07
London, United Kingdom
16 helpful votes
“The Magic of Bilbao!”
Reviewed December 8, 2007

I 1st went to Bilbao about 20 years ago when I was just 21ish, I rode a bicycle down to the South of France and ended in Bilbao.
So 20 years later, it has moved on.
It has one of the best Underground systems I have had the benefit to travel on. It has some stunning new architecture, some great places to eat, an amazing Museum (The Guggenheim) and other places of historic interest.
The retail therapy is great, plenty of shops to keep every taste happy, from shoes, bags, clothing, and furniture to antiques.
There is lots of youth culture in the city, and it is clearly moving to modernise and bring itself into the 21st century.
The older parts of the City, which have been quite industrial for many years are undergoing a major re-developement.
For me living in London for so long, I compare things with my own city, the food is very good, with the Basque regional food represented very well. The wines and local spirits being excellent value and quality.

I look forward to going back and this time take some friends to share the experience.

4 Thank Proff_Steve
Boston
70 helpful votes
“Must see near Bilbao”
Reviewed October 9, 2007

Lots of stuff to see in the City like the Guggenheim and bull-fights. Don't forget the border-towns, though. Just up the road are some incredible beaches, a great fishing villiage (castro urdiales) and the best Rolls-Royce museum in the world in Galdames.

1 Thank tonynelson
GR
15 helpful votes
“Our favorite stay in Spain”
Reviewed August 23, 2007

If you want a less touristy visit to Spain, try Bilbao. The Guggenheim museum is outstanding and the hotel directly across from it is absolutely the best hotel I have ever visited. It was more affordable and the weather was nice and cool. I could easily live in this city.

3 Thank AliceGr
west midlands
3 helpful votes
“not so much pride of bilbao”
Reviewed July 31, 2007

hi. i have recently returned home from a 4 day cruise 29th july - 31st july 07 from portsmouth to bilbao aboard 'pride of bilbao' i was travelling with a group of 25+ friends we arrived at portsmouth dock at approx 4pm we then had to wait till 11pm to start boarding we set sail approx 1am the entertainment onboard was reasonable but nothing special enough to write home about! we arrived at bilbao on monday morning approx 7am english time but no shops were open til 10 pm english time 11 am spanish time the walk from dock to santurizi centre was not a pleasant experience due to witnessing at least 10 spanish people men AND women blattently disrobing and doing toilet in street right in front of our eyes there was evidence of this not just being a one off occurance all over the pavements and the staff in most shops were very rude if you ask them to repeat anything to you me and my group of friends could not wait to get back to the safety n hygienic conditions onboard the ship i dont recommend bilbao at all

3 Thank wolvesluvver

Been to Bilbao? Share your experiences!