“The best steak by far!”
Review of Casa Rufo

Casa Rufo
Reserve with
Casa Rufo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #82 of 1,172 Restaurants in Bilbao
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Abando
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I accidentally came across this place and I feel so lucky to eat there. Our meal started with their home-made foie gras and tomato tuna salad, then we had huge steak which was juicy, rare and delicious! The wine they picked and deserts were so tasty. I'd definitely recommend Casa Rufo...

1  Thank Comsecomsa

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

When I have a bad experience in a restaurant I often look at previous reviews and chalk it off to a bad night at the office. In this case I will make an exception, mainly because of the contrast in every way to our experience in the nearby Italian the previous night. The service was surly and unhelpful, the food was undercooked and unremarkable and the bill at €127 was twice what it should have been for what was served. Recommendation is Avoid.

1  Thank SParle
Reviewed June 14, 2013

A friend recommended me this place and I was sceptical at first about a dinner in a deli shop. I was so wrong! The place is very cosy, beautifully done two rooms at the back, and delicious food! The old couple who I guess own the place helped us to choose (we were easy and just followed their suggestions) and served us the superb house wine (which I still regret I didn't write down the name of!). Everything we tried - salmon, asparagus, jamon, steak - was very very good. It's a simple basic food, Basque style, at its best!

I am definitely coming back!

1  Thank osers
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had an excellent meal here really !
Assorted starters including grilled peppers, sardines and serrano ham
Followed by the house speciality : chuleton : basically an enormous beef chop for 2 grilled
The meat was delcious so I highly recommend and we washed it down with a great Rioja recommended by
The owner
Be sure to book as is popular with locals and not so many tables available
Restaurant is at the back of the shop btw. And typically doesn't really start serving food before 9PM
Shame the neighbourhood is not that great

1  Thank Mark L
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Casa Rufo was one of several restaurants recommended by our hotel staff. We chose it because we were told it was a "steak house." It turned out to be so much more. The exterior is unassuming to the point of being hard to find, but once we spotted it we were discouraged to find it closed at about 8:30pm. The owner arrived as we were debating what to do, opened the restaurant and urged us to come in. From then on our experience was delightful, delicious, and a fitting way to end a wonderful trip.
The family-run place is really a wine cellar with attractive tables sprinkled among several small rooms lined with shelves and glass cases holding wine of many estates and vintages. Some bottles were thick with dust, and several were nearly 100 years old with much of the contents evaporated! We had consumed a lot of fine wine in Spain, so chose to order the house wine by the glass. It was excellent.
We started with the pimientos of the region and the mushrooms which were prepared with scrambled eggs, a bit of a surprise, but both were very good. There was plenty for the four of us to share. Three of us ordered the steak filet, and one the cod. Both were excellent, and we were surprised by the good quality of the beef.
Service was by the owners and could not have been more pleasant and helpful. It was one of the most memorable meals we had in Spain because of the level of the entire experience. Don't miss this charming, intimate place if you find yourself in Bilbao!

2  Thank gailedie