“BAD”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Serantes

Serantes
Ranked #245 of 1,102 Restaurants in Bilbao
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Indautxu
Oslo, Norway
“BAD”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Degusting restaurant with very small portions and very unfriendly staff. I would never recommend it. Terrible!!! Very overpriced!!!

Visited August 2013

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Awful!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

This restaurant was recommended in two reputable and usually reliable guide books and therefore we did not bother to check on previous restaurant reviews - how I wish we had!
The upstairs restaurant room is appealing enough, but one waiter was particularly rude and abrupt. The other who took our order got it wrong. Neither spoke any English and both were more interested in watching the football match on TV (Bilbao v Grenada) - the chef also joined them to watch. It would have been forgiveable had the food been any good, but it was dreadful and overpriced. When we arrived there were eight other customers but by the time we left there were none, so they were not exactly rushed off their feet.
We both ordered sea bass - one was hake (we think) and the other undercooked sea bass. The fried potatoes accompanying the hake were greasy and had clearly been reheated at least once. The sauce smothering the sea bass was pretty disgusting - I think it was the same vegetable slosh as described in a previous review. The sea bass was returrned to be cooked (in a microwave I expect, given the time it took) and the slosh piled back on top. We had one starter - beans and ham, but again very greasy.
Enough was enough and we didn't stay for pudding. They even tried to overcharge us or food we hadn't ordered and the bill still came to 96 euros!! At no time were they apologetic - it was "a take it or leave it" attitude, conveniently pretending not to understand any English.
We have travelled widely in Spain and all over Europe and never received such appalling service and such awful food, hence my first ever review on Trip Adviser. I would ask the Michelin and Rough Guides when they last visited this restaurant? We spent four days in Bilbao and there are much nicer restaurants, with better food and more reasonably priced - try the Guggenheim Bistro, Casa Rufo or Rio Oja.
Avoid Serantes I - you have been warned!

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank DH61651
Brussels, Belgium
“We liked it a lot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

We liked the tapas on the bar, we tried percebes and other seafood, stayed till midnight, will come back! price-value is fine, local people eat there too - thats for me a sigh that we have hoosen the right tapas bar. We were before in an other one, it was cheaper but terrible. Serantes was yummi.

• Visited March 2013
Plock
“Serantes I”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I was recommended to go here. Recently moved to Bilbao and decided to check it out (my birthday treat to myself). The services was attrocious. A women greeted me with disdain and was clearly completely uninterested in her job. Another waiter took the wrong order. There was a vegetable slosh to go with the (when it eventually arrived) local sea bass (which was undercooked). I didn't stay for pudding. The local white winw was ok but (like the rest of it) just overpriced. Michelin, who the hell does your reviews???? I do not recommend it.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank sarum-lover
London, United Kingdom
“Great tapas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

went to this restaurant for their tapas every night during my 3 nights stay! never tried their restaurant, but the tapas bar was fantastic, great vine, and overall great value for money! will definitely come back!

Visited April 2012