Review Highlights
Our wonderful trip with an amazing guide!

We recently traveled to the Basque region and used Aitor as our private guide. He was... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
parkridge1
An Incredible Guide for the Basque Country!

We have traveled with private guides in Bhutan, Colombia, Cuba, Italy, Morocco, France, Peru... read more

Reviewed September 26, 2022
Ruth K

Recommended experiences in and around Bilbao
from $27.45
from $315.74
from $251.52
from $107.03
More Info
All reviews basque region day tour his knowledge prehistoric cave a private tour guide rioja wine region vitoria gasteiz friendly person an amazing guide points of interest guggenheim museum jean de luz fantastic tour amazing food pintxos tour old town culture
Selected filters
Reviewed May 10, 2015

I was cruising on the maiden voyage of Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas in April, 2015. We stopped in Bilbao for a day and I was so fortunate to have Aitor for my tour guide for a day. I was scheduled to visit the Basque region of Spain last August, but had to cancel my cruise due to my granddaughters moving back to Calif. I already had been in contact with Aitor, so it was so easy to schedule him for this cruise. Aitor and I communicated for quite a few months, so we were ready to go when I arrived. It was like we were old friends. I was traveling alone because my hubby is taking a break from
traveling for a few years.
We first went to the beautiful seaside city of San Sebastian. We visited a few lovely highlights and then had a delicious lunch at a charming local restaurant. Aitor told me all about the history of the area. We continued on to do a little shopping in Bilbao and also had a delightful pintxos dessert. It looked like a sunny side up egg with a piece of bread, but it tasted very different. It was yummy!
The Guggenheim was fantastic. Aitor was extremely informative about the different exhibits. I loved my visit with Aitor! I learned a lot about the Basque Region. We talked and laughed a lot and I will be for sure asking Aitor to be my tour guide when
hopefully I return to this area.
I forgot to say that in San Sebastian, I got to take a picture with the sign that designated where the Tour to France bicycle race started in 1992. I am a huge fan of the sport!

Date of experience: April 2015
1  Thank Jeanette M
Aitor D, Owner at Aitor Delgado Basque Tour Guide, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2015

Jeanette M, thank you so much!
After arranging the tour for last year it was great that you could arrange to come now. I really love to show my guests some places and delicate food that other visitors just miss. And I cycle a lot so that including the reference to Tour de France for you was a pleasure for me...
Thanks for your review and looking forward to meeting you back soon!

Reviewed February 2, 2015

We recently held a company team meeting in Bilbao and decided to engage Aitor to show us around the City. Unfortunately on the morning we were scheduled to arrive it was raining very hard. Aitor was very patient and flexible in changing arrangements. Instead of the walking tour he took us into the Guggenheim, which was terrific. He had a good grasp on the art being exhibited and was a fun additional member of our team!

Date of experience: January 2015
Aitor D, Manager at Aitor Delgado Basque Tour Guide, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2015

Thank you for your review!

I am so happy that you enjoyed your tour inside the Bilbao Guggenheim Museum,

I hope that next time it does not rain so hard and we can see other parts of this surprising city.
Regards,

Reviewed January 23, 2015

After my summer in Spain in 2013 (see previous review I posted for Aitor) my bf and myself decided to return the next summer to explore Madrid. The first thing I remember asking myself was "I really wish there was an Aitor in Madrid." I decided to message him about the possibility of a tour in Madrid and it turned out that Aitor was going to be in the area during our stay!
Once again, Aitor exceeded expectations. It was like seeing an old friend again. Since Madrid is obviously much bigger than Bilbao, we hired Aitor for 3 days. We first caught up with Aitor over drinks, shared lots of laughs, saw the most amazing places, navigated Madrid in his comfortable car, and ate at many of Aitor's favorite restaurants. The outlying cities, Segovia and Toledo, were jaw-dropping and perfect suggestions by Aitor.
The second I found out that Aitor was going to be available for a Madrid tour, I instantly felt relieved. No need to hunt for anymore tour guides. No more researching places to eat or sites to see. We had complete trust in him. We knew Aitor on autopilot would make our Madrid experience just as amazing as our Bilbao one.
Thank you again Aitor for another unforgettable experience!

Date of experience: September 2014
3  Thank jarquiette
Aitor D, Owner at Aitor Delgado Basque Tour Guide, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2015

Thanks for your kind review.

Meeting you have been like meeting two old friends and I really enjoyed the opportunity you gave me to be with you again.

Hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed January 17, 2015 via mobile

We visited Bilbao in July 2014 for my 45th birthday weekend trip. Aitor is an amazing guide who managed to show us the best of Bilbao in just a few hours: creative architecture, colourful markets, yummy pinchos bars and amazing bird eye viewing points. We had a great lunch in a very picturesque authentic restaurant at the end of the tour and lots of good memories - Aitor is also a good photographer. Highly recommend for a private tailor-made tour - just let him know where your interests are.

1  Thank janegreen09
Aitor D, Owner at Aitor Delgado Basque Tour Guide, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2015

thanks janegreen09!

One of my main objectives is that you take best use of your limited time in Bilbao so that you can have a better idea of our culture, traditions, food and way of life but always at your pace and taking in consideration your interests.

I was so proud to be part of your birthday day!

Reviewed January 3, 2015

Aitor Delgado is a fantastic guide. My family and I made the trip to Bilbao to visit with our middle son and needed someone with inside knowledge of the Basque area. I basically guessed at random, liking the picture I found of Aitor, and managed to hit a bull's eye with a blindfold covering my eyes.

Aitor and I planned our two different tours from the Bilbao area over the internet. I gave him a basic idea of what we wanted to do and then Aitor came back with the tours. He included everything we wanted to know; starting time, finishing time, information covered, distance covered, important areas to see and something of the cultural significance.

These tours sounded great, but I was wary that they could hold up to personal inspection. They didn't. The actual tours surpassed what we expected.

Because of the weather, Aitor had to make a number of audibles during the tours and he did it with grace and aplomb. Even though each tour had to be changed during the middle of it, Aitor had some fantastic backup plans that still gave us an enthusiastic and informative tour of the Basque country.

In addition to the tours, Aitor also managed to set up our family with a pair of professional photographers so we could take a family photograph. We'd not been all together for many years and we wanted to take this opportunity to document where we are now. This picture is extremely important to us. Aitor not only found a fantastic photographer for us, but also acted as interpreter and made several suggestions that made the photo session even better. All for no charge. Just because Aitor is Aitor and he's a good man.

Our visit to Bilbao wouldn't have been nearly as fun without meeting Aitor.

Date of experience: December 2014
2  Thank Richard J

thank you Richard J for your review! You have a wonderful family and it was such a pleasure to meet you. I am very glad that you enjoyed our time together. One of my objectives is that my guests use best their time to discover the Basque culture and way of life. I do a lot of research to have possibilities for any desire of my guests and also for any change that it can happen (our weather is sometimes not helping) and I am glad that you noticed it and that you liked my way of working. Something that only an acknowledged local can provide. Thank you for such nice and warm words.