“great hotel”
Review of Melia Bilbao

Melia Bilbao
Ranked #10 of 42 Hotels in Bilbao
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Nice, relaxing, and modern hotel very well located if you want to visit the main museums of the city. You can enjoy of the comfortable rooms and big bathroms, and the restaurant area is fantastic not only for lunch/dinner, but for the breakfast as well. I totally recomend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
Write a ReviewReviews (2,683)

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We went there for a weekend in january, a low season definitely. Were a bit surprised when had to ask for slippers and a second bath-robe (only one was in a room). The staff didn't seem to care much, but that was fine, as our stay was only 2 nights.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The hotel could not be better designed, and maintains a unified them from gate till smallest details in the room and furniture design. Location is ideal. Staff could not be any friendlier. Swiming pool in 6th floor with awesome view on canal and city.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
Reviewed January 6, 2014

There is very little I can say about the Melia and Bilbao that wouldn't be in the 'excellent' class. Hubby and I had a really FAB few days in the Basque country as part of a driving holiday, during which we stayed at this hotel.

It started well when we scored an upgrade to one of their top floor suites (with huge wrap-around terrace) over-looking the park, which was amazing. Spacious and modern with a sunny outlook and great facilities. The staff (particularly front desk) were exceptionally helpful, recommending restaurants and bars, and also giving us great advice on museums and places of interest. They were spot on too.

The food in the hotel was also superb. The innovative Aizian was something very different and very good quality food and even the mini tapa in the bar was tasty and reasonably priced. (Quite a few locals seemed to eat here too.) We also had superb room service burgers during our stay; highly recommended.

I wish I could say the same for all of our hotel food not this trip, but the Basques certainly know how to feed you!

An excellent hotel with FABULOUS staff. Eskerrik Asko to you all!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a suite. You won't regret it!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights over New Year 2013-14 and we could not fault the hotel one bit. The room was clean with fantastic bathrooms (stand alone bath tub and walk in shower) and the breakfast offering was plentiful and delicious. The only slight downside was that Bilbao was almost entirely closed for New Year so we ended up having too much room service. Once would have been fine, but more than once and it became a bit monotonous. There is a swimming pool which is outdoor but covered - it's fine for young children to enjoy and to just relax in, but do not expect to do lengths. The location of the hotel is good, right next to the Guggenheim and with a tram stop opposite that takes you into the old town. There is a shopping mall directly opposite, which I'm sure would be good but was virtually always closed at the time of year that we stayed. Definitely a good place to stay when visiting Bilbao, but would recommend just two nights in Bilbao and more time in other locations such as San Sebastian.

Room Tip: All rooms face outwards, so every room has a view. Even the smallest rooms are large enough to have...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank FastCarFerrari
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The hotel is part of the regenerated area along the river with the new museums/office towers/residences, it is nicely equipped with a decent gym and bar/restaurant. There is also a big shopping mall across the streets so that makes it convenient to grab a bite to eat. I have walked from the hotel to the centre of town/subway line, which took about 15 min. A tram line also passes by the hotel. Guggenheim is about 15 minutes away. Athletic Bilbao football stadium/bus terminus is about 20 min away. I enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank CHM1
Reviewed December 25, 2013

When I had booked my trip to Bilbao the first hotel that I thought was Melia Bilbao! After some price simulations this one of the cheapest but one of the best hotels in town.
I went to the hotel by airport bus that stops in the street in front of the hotel so it's a short distance. With a good location, in the center of the new part of city, in front of Zubiarte (the biggest city center mall) and very near to the river. The hotel entrace is simple but beauty, but theres anyone outside to welcome you or pick your bags. The receptionist at check-in were very efficient and I followed to the room wich I had great expectations. Again, the room 512, in 5th floor, was the remotest room in that floor! The room is big, with a bathroom with shower and bath. But some details harms this 5 stars hotel! The wall over the window is damaged and badly patched! This is not a solution for a 3 stars hotel, even more for a 5 stars! To my astonishment and in the first time in my life I found waste from other person in the trash... A empty Princles package... This is unthinkable! The bed is confortable. When I was sleeping the light of closet turned on and I waked up very scared! I also repair that the lower wall decorative was taken off. The breakfast won't impressed me! There weren't to many variety as usually the hotels in this category have. Then I tried the pool! I really made a recomendation: If you are chilly as me don't enter in the pool! The pool is located in the exterior (the air temperature was 5ºC) and the annouced "heated pool" was probally at 20ºC... not to much for the shock of temperatures! For me this is a very bad experience and I really hate that and run to the sauna. This hotel dind't had any guest review card! At check-out the receptionist were very frendly and apologized from the Pringles and the wall. This hotel have very friendly receptionist but fails in cleaning and room maintenance.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple