“Very Good”
Review of Melia Bilbao

Melia Bilbao
Ranked #11 of 42 Hotels in Bilbao
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a very good hotel. Nice service, good rooms, with all appropriate facilities, including free and unlimited WiFi, a clean and big enough room, comfortable bed etc. There is also a laptop sized safe although there is no iron in the room. Breakfast is also very good and the checkout is efficient.

It does feel slightly dated, although that should not stop anyone staying there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Melia Bilbao

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This hotel has an excellent location, a short walking distance to Bilbao's top attraction, the Guggenheim. It also overlooks the River Nervion, and close to the Museo de Bellas Artes. The room we got was large and comfortable enough, quite modern furniture, spacious bathroom, but the overall quality and ambiance of the hotel itself is really not quite top-rate. The hotel is accessed through a short flight of steps from the street, not ideal if you are lugging heavy luggage, and if you have 3 or 4 pieces of bags, you need to go inside to ask for help. There is a service elevator somewhere where the bags could be taken in, but we had to wait as the guy who could help us with the bags was doing double duty in the front desk. Once we got to the room, though, he was kind enough to explain how everything works, especially the buttons to control the window shades. The lobby is small and ordinary - certainly no trace of elegance. There is a restaurant on the ground floor, AIZIAN, where breakfast buffet is served. While there was a great quantity and variety of items available, the quality of the food was just so-so. There was not one thing that could be described as "delicious"; filling yes, but not quite satisfactory. After a week of preparing breakfast in our rented apartment in another part of Bilbao, and contenting ourselves with the same pintxos (tapas) for dinner; we were quite ready and eager for real food. But that is not to be had at Hotel Melia either. Sure there was a good selection of cured ham, boquerones (white anchovies), cheese, pimentos, etc., but the cooked food (omelets, etc.) was just on the bland side. The staff was helpful and efficient enough, though the taxi the front desk called to take us to the airport was not large enough. There were four of us traveling and we specifically requested for an extra-large car or van, but the taxi not only arrived late, it was too small to take all four of us. One couple took this taxi, and then my husband and I had to wait for another one. But the guy who helped us with the cabs and the bags whose name was ELIAS, was very patient and helpful. He waited with us until we were all securely loaded and on our safe way to the airport. He deserves a commendation for his very friendly and efficient assistance.

1  Thank cot2ntail
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed here for three nights on our first visit to Bilbao. We requested a premium room with a view of the river. Our large corner room had a wrap around balcony with great views. The bed was fantastic, and the bathroom very spacious. There is a shopping centre opposite the hotel, and several cafes for breakfast nearby (we did not have the hotel breakfast). The tram stop is quite close, and there is a large park behind the hotel. Walking distance to the Guggenheim, and also to the Old Town (if you like walking). The tram is handy coming back, it runs along the river from the Old Town, past the Guggenheim. Had dinner at the hotel restaurant one night, no complaints.

Room Tip: We requested a premium room and got Room 1020. Great location on the north west corner, top floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This hotel is really very, very good. The rooms are comfortable with black out blinds and excellent beds and there's a gym, sauna (separate sexes) and outdoor swimming pool. The lobby area is very impressive. It did however feel a bit on the corporate side and lacked real character. It was also a fair walk from the old town, although easily reached by tram. I would recommend it highly, although if I were to return to Bilbao I would probably stay closer to the old town which has a great atmosphere and is extremely pretty.

1  Thank Gizelle_Johnson
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I sent this by e mail on 29 August and have not had any reply:

To the General Manager

Dear Sir

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at your hotel on Sunday and Monday this week and were generally impressed with the standard, the staff and the facilities.

There were however a couple of points which I would like to raise with you:

1. When settling my account on Monday evening (as we wanted to depart early on Tuesday) I queried whether an allowance could be applied for food and beverages, in accordance with the promotion offered on your web site, via which I had booked. Your staff member said that this was not feasible as I did not have a loyalty card and did not have a print out of my booking terms; I had signed up for the Melia loyalty programme specifically so that I could have the benefit of this promotion; I have no idea whether a card will be issued but I have received none yet; having re-read the details on your web site today, I see that the offer is for ten euros per day; the booking via your web site should surely have been apparant to your reception staff, so can I ask that I am credited with the appropriate balance of twenty euros please?

2. On a more serious note, we had a very pleasant meal in your restaurant on Sunday night, which was both good quality and excellent value; however on Monday we were not so fortunate, specifically when I had almost finished my main course and my wife was mid way through her chicken burger she was appalled to see that the middle of the chicken was completely raw; this was acknowledged by the waitress who took it away and offered a replacement dish which my wife refused because by this time I had finished my own main course. In the UK serving raw chicken would be regarded as a serious breach of health and food hygiene procedures and I am sure that the same must apply in Spain. Clearly something was amiss in your kitchen on the evening in question because we then waited an inordinate amount of time (about thirty minutes) for our final courses of cheese and mixed fruit which the waitress said would not be charged to our account as compensation for the uncooked chicken and the delay. I feel however that this was insufficent recompense, particularly having regard to my wife having suffered an upset stomach for the following two days, one of which was on board the ship travelling home which rather spoiled our enjoyment of the journey. In the circumstances I feel that this meal should have been entirely complimentary.

I have never before written a letter of this sort to a hotel in which I have stayed; we stay in many and I regularly add favourable Trip Advisor reviews. When I add a review for your hotel it will in any case stress the good location, attractive decor, friendly staff and excellent facilities. I would like to be able to add that you have responded constructively to points of criticism, which are offered in good faith and the belief that you will want to address some shortcomings which slightly marred an otherwise good stay in a hotel to which we would like to return.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

Room Tip: high floor overlooking the river is best
2  Thank Travelfromhampshire
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our first choice for our stay in Bilbao was Tryp Arenal, which belongs to the same company as the Meliá Bilbao, but were wisely advised not do so during their "Semana Grande", because it was going to be very noisy for the whole week, so we decided to choose the Meliá during the first part of our stay. The hotel is very close to the Guggenheim and Bellas Artes museums, there is a tram stop across the road but you can really walk everywhere in Bilbao. We were given a Premium room and it was fantastic, big and spacy, the bed is hugee and so confortable... The staff very kind and helpful, they recommended many places to visit and restaurants in the city and cities near Bilbao, like Lekeitio and Mundaka, two fishing villages worth renting a car for a visit. We highly recommend the Melia Bilbao for its quality, situation and staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I've been in this hotel a few times. It is perfectly located and attractive arquitecture and deco.
It also has a very good gourmet restaurant and superb breakfast buffet. The location is great if you want to visit the city. Close to the park and main avenue, quiet are though.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple