“not disappoint me a very nice room” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gran Hotel Domine Bilbao

Gran Hotel Domine Bilbao
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Bilbao
Leusden, The Netherlands
“not disappoint me a very nice room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

Bilbao, a beautiful city, and what does is that proper maintenance is being committed and everything is so clean it can learn something from Amsterdam! Charge by TripAdvisor found, did not disappoint me a very nice room (513) Superb bathroom good bed. A super modern hotel opened in 2003 and I believe has good reviews. Only you must beware of a modern hotel that is not easily worn, and danger looms. But nothing but good, nice staff and a top restaurant. The cafe where you can eat, I would skip that was nothing special! Even disappointing. But the breakfast on the roof of the hotel deserves a compliment, good breakfast, a cook who makes your egg, bake, cook or whatever in an excellent manner. With a stunning view. Guggenheim on the 10 steps away.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank FredvdFlier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Stockholm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

Great location just next doors to the Guggenheim museum. Great staff, very helpful, we even could leave some luggage with them when coming back 6 days later before we had to leave for the airport. Nice terrace where breakfast is served, we had rain that morning though... But not impressed by the room, we had a big dark spot on the carpet in our room, just inside the door, which immediately reduce the rating and feeling of cleanliness. Rooms rather small as well but overall probably one of the best hotels to stay at in Bilbao given the price and location.

1 Thank FlyingFinn1973
Lancs
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

We arrived at the hotel very tired, having just driven over 1000kms from Southern Spain, and were met by a sullen receptionist who didn't even have the basic manners to greet my wife and I. My opening statement to her was "Hello, I have a reservation tonight.....", and her reply was "Passport!". There was absolutely no interest in us as guests, and no conversation, despite her excellent grasp of English. As the check-in proceeded she interrupted our transaction on several occasions, by answering the phone without a word of apology. She was surly and rude and never made eye contact through out. She even told me that the hotel car park was full, when in fact it wasn't, and also failed to explain any of the hotels features or services.

The room I booked was a Guggenheim view room, which included champagne in the room, and the said miserable receptionist initially offered me the worst room in the hotel (not the one I had paid for!). In addition to this, we never saw the champagne, despite several requests, and also the in-room wi-fi did not work.

The hotel itself is ok: 3 - 4 star at best, and definitely over rated. I stay in 5 star hotels on a very regular basis, and this hotel fell way short of the mark. Indeed, I had been staying in a 5 star hotel in southern Spain the previous 2 weeks: a beautiful hotel, and the staff there could not have been better - nothing was too much trouble.

When we checked out, the last straw was to met by the same appalling receptionist with the same atrocious attitude! I therefore, decided to speak to the manager to express my dissatisfaction, and would you believe there was no manager in the hotel - a 5 star 'Leading Hotel of the World', with no manager on duty at check out time! Unbelievable! I did speak to the reception manager briefly, after waiting 30 minutes for him to arrive, who promised me an enquiry in to what went wrong, and a full written explanation: 2 weeks have passed by and still nothing.

I booked the hotel through The Leading Hotels of the World (as I am a member), and I can assure you that in our experience, this is not one of The Leading Hotels of Bilbao!

I will never stay at this hotel again and I would certainly would not recommend it to any traveller. The only good aspect to this hotel is it's proximity to The Guggenheim. It is not even close to any other attractions, bars or restaurants.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank TimoLancs
denver, co
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2010

It's literally across from the Guggenheim. The location could not be more perfect. The entire staff was competent, helpful, and seemed to make decisions based on what's best for the customer- nice job. The bar and rooftop breakfast area are great. The restaurant's good, and an easy option if you want to stay in the hotel. Too bad there's smoking. It really hurts the ability to enjoy any meal. The rooms vary in size and plenty of them face the interior atrium. It pays to get an exterior room- no question about it.

The entire city of Bilbao needs a great power washing to the buildings and people. A freshening up would actually show off the classic architecture and would make the city as a destination, a better compliment to the amazing Guggenheim. We found a cool bar/restaurant around the corner called Public House. The old city area and riverfront are nice.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank denverroadtrip
Pinner
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 3 days recently. We took along our young dog and were a little unsure of the welcome it would receive. The staff at the hotel were fantastic! They made us all very welcome, arranged a dog-sitter while we were at the wedding and we cannot thank them enough for everything.
The service we received was excellent and they pride themselves on being the best hotel in Bilbao.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

really amazing breakfast and room service. sauna, turkish bath, spa and gym are all placed on the top floor. great staff.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

We had booked a Guggenheim Club room based on the hotel website and the reviews on this site. It started well with a superbly serviceminded bell boy who was extremely helpful in getting our car parked in the hotel garage.

The room at first seemed ok and we just unpacked the essentials. I was however a bit surprised that the view was not that great. In fact we could only see the museum if standing up in the room as the lower part of the window was dewed due to an apparent puncture in the thermo window.

It was only when we walked back from the museum, that we noticed we apparently had the only room facing the museum with a small window while all other rooms had floor to ceeling windows. I went to the reception to ask what kind of view a Guggenheim club room should have and the female receptionist told me "you have a good room". Her English was not good enough to understand the issue and the manager was fetched from the back office. In his defence he started to say that the other rooms also had issues, such as columns in the middle of the room, but of course we could be offered another room but 3 floors down from our original room. I asked if it is normal that a room sold with a view you can only see the view while standing up and he actually agreed that is not normal.

As we had unpacked and was only booked for one night we did not want to move to another room at this time and not other compensation was offered from the hotel side.

Therefore this recommendation to other travellers: If you have booked a view and you get a room ending with x13, check it or ask for another room. Now that we have been there i would not spend the extra money on a view room as you are basically watching the back of the museam with the blue administration building in front of you. The view of the museum is much better from the other side of the river.

My reason for the low rating is the unprofessional manner my approach to the reception was handled. The staff and manager is not 5-star class, especially management has something to learn here but I also read somewhere in the internal magazine that it is the first 5-star hotel in the chain.

Furthermore, 5-star hotels do not sell rooms with broken windows blocking part of the view at full price, nor do they have 3 lamps in the room not working. Housekeeping should spot this when preparing the room.As it was the last room in the floor it was also smaller than the others and the coffee table and one of the chairs were pushed under the desk to allow you passage around the bed.

Finally the wifi has so bad connectivity in the room that we where constantly de-connected and gave up in the end. In the reception they should also learn, not to just stop serving you to answer the phone without at least saying "excuse me".

It is too bad that we will remember these problems more than the nice bathroom, great terrace for breakfast.

The bell boy at checkout was the complete opposite of the first bell boy and was indifferent and non-communicative. It's a pity that such a detail is the last impression from a socalled 5-star hotel. How they got into the circle of Leading Hotels of the World I do not understand....especially as I have been to other hotels with that label....

You may have a good stay here....but do not expect true 5-star if that is what you want.

2 Thank CPHworldtravellers