“Excellent value”
Review of Hotel Abando

Hotel Abando
Ranked #18 of 42 Hotels in Bilbao
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed there in October 2012, and enjoyed it. combination business and leisure. Pleasant walk to the Guggenheim, close to a main tourist information office. Excellent, maybe even outstanding buffet breakfast. Lox, bagels, eggs, sweets, toast, fruit, yogurt, cold cuts, cheeses, cereals, just super. Parking safe, expensive, but narrow, uphill exit. Room well furnished, comfortable. Staff very helpful and upbeat. Tolerated my bumbling Spanish with good humor, and when really important, would give me information or directions in excellent English. Would stay again.

Room Tip: all seemed to be fine.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DrZ63

Reviewed October 27, 2012

"Efficient and charmless" check-in staff (see a previous recent review of this hotel) seem to be the norm in Spain. I'm not sure whether its because I speak mainly English, or that my Spanish is poor, or that I can't understand, let alone attempt to speak the Basque language, Euskara. I rarely found engaging front desk staff anywhere in Spain. Maybe its all part of their "customer service" training. The staff at breakfast were completely different - engaging, obliging and made of different stuff. The breakfast is on par with what other hotels charge (Euro 12-15), but this one was the most extensive we encountered in Spain. Extensive hot and cold buffet, cereals, breads and pastries, juices, wow. Cannot recommend the breakfast highly enough. The rooms were fine - mine was very quiet, bed OK and I slept like a log. The bathroom was clean and a good size. At this hotel, like many others, wifi in the room was slow and dropped out. Wifi in the public areas offered the best reception - in this case, it was a sofa by the lift lobby on each floor. Good wifi in the public areas of a hotel is fine, but I'm not sure that the whole world wants to hear my loved- one affections via Skype! There is a gym, but it required a special (physical) key, and I didn't get around to asking for access. I'd stay again, although its not cheap and only average value for money. It's definately at least 3.5 stars (not 2.5 stars as a previous reviewer suggested). I'd stay again - location is excellent - walking distance to the old town, and nearby to shopping, tapas bars and public transport.

Room Tip: Don't rush breakfast - grab a table by the window and start the day in a leisurely way.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MatthewJB
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was in Bilbao for 3 days on business (2 nights) and if I could give this place 2.5 stars I would. First let me start out by saying that this is NOT a 4 star property (by any standards US or European). Second, the main positive of this hotel is the location. The rooms would be the primary reason I would stay elsewhere...dark, dingy (worn carpets, furniture, walls), my smelled of stale cigarette smoke-and kinda musty. The bathrooms look to have been updated in the past 10 years..which was a small plus. The bed was terribly uncomfortable and I don t want to think about how old the mattress could be...bottom line I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Tgirlnc
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed in this hotel previously, and on that basis went back for a night last week. I was disappointed. Among other things, the breakfast was substandard. There is no reason for there to be virtually no bread available for breakfast at 8.0 -- particularly when there is an extra charge of 13 euro. The night before, around 10.45, it took me about 15 minutes to be served a glass of wine in the bar. The explanation, offered with no apology, was that the barman was delivering room service. I agree with GreedyMessiah about the somewhat indifferent attitude of the reception staff. This hotel does not merit the 4 star rating it displays.

Room Tip: Unlike for my previous stay, I was given a room with a tiny room that looked onto another building...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank LeslieMTL
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Upon arrival at the Hotel Abando my friend and I were greeted (using the term "greeted" very loosely) by an efficient but charmless receptionist who gave us the bare minimum in terms of information or friendly service. The rooms are very nice though, making up for the dour receptionist and extremely expensive car park, another saving grace was the fantastic breakfast and a very nice waiting lady who couldn't have been more helpful. For short term business visits, the Abando is ideal, for a long term pleasure holiday, forget it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2012

the abando hotel is central to bars restaurants churches old town guggenheim museum the metro buses and the river.the hotel was clean the room was ok for me the breakfast was very good the staff helfull will go back next year for the towns party

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This hotel was ok. The location was good, very close to Gran Via (shopping) and a few nice bars around it. Walking distance to the old town. There was a bit of a smell of cigarette smoke in the room and as we were on the 6th floor we were under the gym so it was a little noisy. Our room looked out onto an indoor lane way which wasn't very nice. The wifi was excellent and the air conditioning worked very well. The staff had English but weren't that friendly. The breakfast was ok. The bar was never open and the restaurant always looked pretty empty.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple