New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Silken Indautxu Hotel

Silken Indautxu Hotel
Ranked #22 of 43 Hotels in Bilbao
Ghaziabad, India
“A real good place to stay in Bilbao”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed there for 3 nights in January. It was a fantastic experience. The hotel staff were well trained,They were courteous and helpful. The room was neat and clean. It was a memorable stay.The wifi speed was also good to continue with your work. The breakfast table had real good option,however I was always in a hurry to enjoy that.Hope to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Colchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Pretty nice place, centrally located, not too far from Guggenheim. Bar is reasonably priced, breakfast pretty good. Not far from the airport bus on Plaza Moyua. Rooms nice size, beds comfy. Some rooms are in an annex, which involves stairs and a lift - could be tricky if you´ve got a lot of stuff. The wifi is free (get password at reception, you´ll need to get a new one every 24 hours), but it is fairly slow. Reception can get overloaded if you turn up at the wrong time. I got stuck behind a party of 6, and it was literally 20 minutes before my turn came. But overall, it´s a good value place close to the main attractions of Bilbao

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is what you expect to find behind 4 stars, a large lobby and lobby bar, good restaurant, a cafeteria, a garage, good service and a clean, roomy room. There is also a free (and slow) WiFi included in the room price.

The location is a couple blocks from the main shopping street and 20 minutes walk from old town and the Guggenheim. All can easily be reached by foot.

We had also dinners in the hotel's restaurant, because there is not too many choices there around. The 3 course menus are reasonbly priced and offer a good value for money.

All in all this was a nice two night's stay and can be recommended especially when compared to the price we paid in the low season in November.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

This hotel had just what we wanted after longish drive up from the Algarve. Nice room overlooking street, comfy bed, very reasonable restaurant and about 15 mins walk from the Guggenheim.
Thought disaster had struck when we saw on the hotel-provided street map that the Guggenheim was closed on Mondays, but we decided to go and have a look at the iconic outside anyhow. Imagine our delight in finding that it was indeed closed on Mondays, but not during July and August. July 30 was the date that day!
The hotel was very obliging in sending on a scarf that my wife left behind.
Car park lift goes direct up to rooms floors, which was great.
We were in the main hotel, not the annexe like WuHe. Worth checking that when booking.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Silken Indautxu is a four-star hotel located in the center of Bilbao. The hotel originally was a beautiful Basque-style mansion, however the majority of the rooms are located in an annex building of dubious style.

I stayed for 4 nights, Monday through Thursday

Check-in

I arrived rather late, so the check-in was flawless at first, fast and no problems. Service was good, but not exceptional. After having a small problem (and a big disappointment – of which I will explain later) I went down again and changed my room. This time, service was just OK, but nothing else, at least I managed to get a different room.

The room

As I said above, I had a small problem and a big disappointment, let me get to this: first of all, getting to your room is a pain. The room I was given was located in the annex, so instead of taking the elevator in the lobby I had to walk down two rows of staircases (full of luggage and with no help whatsoever) in order to arrive to another area of the hotel that was very worn out and uninspiring (the walls were painted in what looked like a fading 80’s grey color).
Once I got to room floors, to my disgust, I discovered the state was much worse. The carpets were stained, the hallway was poorly illuminated, the wall looked dirty and in desperate need for a repaint, and there was rotten-like smell floating in the air.

When I got to my room the door was ajar, it wasn’t closed! I opened slowly (honestly, I was a little scared) and I discovered that the room was more or less in the same condition as the hallway. Even though it was big, and it was well equipped I would say it had not been renovated, not even well maintained for decades. However the thing that puzzled me was the high-pitched awkward noise that was coming from the thermostat (!) and furthermore, it was a double-bed room instead of the king size I had asked for. Taken into account that the door was open when I got to the room, the state of the room itself, the annoying noise and the double bed I decided to go for a change.

Thankfully, I was given another room. But things did not improve much. The room was slightly larger (it was, in fact, quite big) it had a single king size bed and the noise the thermostat emitted was less annoying. The condition of the room was the same. Same old stained carpet with stains, same old-fashioned furniture, same worn-out walls and yellowish curtains. The TV was manufactured in the mid-90’s (just a guess)… Certainly not the kind of room you are expecting to find in a four-star hotel. The room was more what you would expect of a dodgy roadside motel (except for the size).

The bed and the linens were OK, however I found the mattress to be too soft.

The bathroom was big too; it was clean except for some stains in the marble floor that looked like they were permanent. The shower had good pressure and good temperature, the showerhead was broken and it sprayed water in every direction. This malfunction combined with the also yellowish shower curtain (I hate shower curtains, specially in hotels, I don’t find them very hygienic) made showering a big disappointment.

Moreover, amenities were very limited. I did not bring any aftershave or comb with me, as they are usually provided in the amenities kits. However there were none! I called reception to ask for them, and ten minutes later they called me back to say they didn’t provide any of that. Aftershave and comb! To make things worse, it looked like the packaging of some of the few amenities provided had been reused. Same with the laundry bag, it was wrinkled as if the guest before me had used it and the hotel was too cheap to replace it with a new one. I found this particular detail very disgusting.

Breakfast

Breakfast was by far the best of my stay. It is not that good, but compared to the rest of the hotel it was certainly a relief. There was an ample choice of fruit, some of them good quality like, and some others not so good. There was also a selection of cheese, cold cuts, Spanish tortilla, fried eggs, etc. One nice detail was the orange juice, which it turned out to be very good.

However, one annoying detail was that the staff was quite uncoordinated and I was often asked twice what room I was staying in.

Common areas

I didn’t have the time or the willingness to experience the common areas, but the little I saw was quite disappointing. They were renovated, but the design was cheap, and nothing special and it looked already outdated.

Conclusion

Overall, a very disappointing stay. Certainly not the room I was expecting of a four star hotel, it looked more like what I would expect of a two star hotel.
I wouldn’t recommend this hotel to anybody, it certainly didn’t leave a good taste. It’s a pity because other than the hotel I had a wonderful experience in this beautiful city in northern Spain.
I am sure that you can find better deals in Bilbao. However, if you can manage to get a renovated room your impression might improve.

Room Tip: Try to get a renovated room, maybe those are like the pictures in the webpage.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank WuHe

Travelers are raving about these Bilbao hotels

norwich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Silken is in a great convenient city location, a very pleasant 15min walk into the city centre. Very clean, tidy and well looked after. The buffet breakfast was excellent, and the restaurant’s set menu was superb value for money (around £20 each for 3 courses including a large bottle of wine per person!)

Overall, well recommended if staying in Bilbao.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Beach CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I am one of those travelers who angsts before their vacation, hoping that I made the right selection of hotels. Comfort, location and price are important and play a major part in whether your vacation will be a great one or a so-so one. I am so glad that I chose the Hotel Silken Indautxu. It was very clean, comfortable, roomy and in an excellent location. Ah, and there was quiet in the evening. It also included a flat screen TV with cable.

I had thought about staying in the Casco Viejo area, and so glad that I did not. Hotel Silken INdautxu is within walking minutes to the Guggenheim, Museo de las Bellas Artes and the Gran Villa for lots of shopping. The immediate area in any direction of the hotel is filled with restaurants and bars. I did venture over into the old part – about a 30 minute walk, and was not overly impressed with the evening environment – but that’s me. I also took some day trips and it was walkable to both the bus and train stations. However, I took taxis back to the hotel for less than 5-euros.

The hotel staff was extremely helpful and fun~ I especially give saludos and gracias to Gabi and Victor in the hotel lobby bar. They were very helpful in guiding me to some excellent restaurants, parts of Bilbao to see, convincing me to go to Salamanca, and just generally being good people!

This is a hotel that I strongly encourage you to select if you are on the fence and if your consideration includes: Comfort, Location and Price.

Room Tip: I had hotel room 502 and 508 -- both had a patio facing a quiet street -- it is also in the newer s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo