The reception is on the second floor, so from the main entrance you have to take the elevator to check in. The hotel is very accessible and the location is great. From the airport, just take the 3247 bus which costs 1.40 euro.
We arrived at the same time as another couple, and so we had to wait around 10 minutes to check in. However it was a quick and easy process as our room was prepaid. We were given a room that had three steps leading up to the bathroom. Other reviewers have mentioned this, but we did not find it a problem. We actually liked having the bathroom divided from the sleeping area.
Room service was available but we did not get to try this. We were surprised that the cost of a bottle of wine was so reasonable, around 12 euros, and they also had sandwiches available.
On our first night, we had a little trouble with our TV, and the receptionist came right away to sort it out. She didn't know how to fix it but she offered to send a maintenance man early the next morning and also offered to change our room.
- I wished we were told more about the facilities, for example the gym and the free computers for guest use. The computers were tucked away in a corner of the business room so we did not find them until we went exploring ourselves.
- Some rooms facing the main street can be very noisy. For example we were on the second floor in room 229 and could hear music from the cocktail bar that was directly across the room, every night. It was not loud enough to disturb me as I bring earplugs everywhere when I travel.
The music was particularly loud on our last evening which happened to be Friday. In addition, there was a lot of lively chatter as the bar also had an outside seating area. This continued until around midnight, so I would recommend that you request a room facing the courtyard or in the higher floors.
- The room lacks a kettle and free tea and coffee. This was surprising for a 4* hotel.
- The receptionist was very friendly and her English was excellent. Service is professional throughout, and there was help whenever we needed it. They kindly provided an adapter and a map on request. Also gave us directions to the airport bus stop.
- The hotel is in a great location. It is a 10 minute walk to the old town and just down the street from a large supermarket, el corte ingles, which is on the 6th floor of a large department store.
The bathrooms are large, very clean and functional. Plenty of hot water and shower pressure was great. There is a shelf underneath the sink for toiletries storage.
- The in room safe was large enough for valuables, and there were a few hangers in the closet that was useful.
- Housekeepers very polite and we were never disturbed in the morning, despite leaving the hotel for sightseeing quite late (around 10-ish).
- Wi-fi was fast despite the signal being poor at times.
+ They provide a single, long pillow which I found very comfortable although a little strange at first.
+ TV had loads of channels but only a few in English (Bloomberg, cctv, bbc, national geographic, Russia today). It would have been useful for a TV channel guide to be placed in the room.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel despite the noise, and request for a quieter room next time. The location is great, as BIlbao is a small town and you can practically walk everywhere. The Guggenheim is very straight forward to get to, as you just follow one long road along the river to get here, around 15 minutes walk.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sercotel Coliseo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.