“Great Hotel in a Great location!!!”

Hotel Conde Duque Bilbao
Ranked #13 of 43 Hotels in Bilbao
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great Hotel in a Great location!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

I was in Bilbao the weekend of February 19-21, 2010, and ended up chosing this hotel primarily because of the price. I was pleasantly suprised when I arrived to find the superb location of the hotel along with the how incredibly nice the hotel itself was. The lobby area was very modern, updated and clean. There was a free computer to use to check the iternet, along with a free coffee machine! The room itself was perfect for one traveler, but would have accomodated two guests no problem. The room was extremely clean as well as the bathroom. The hotel provided compliementary toilettries such as a travel toothbrush, comb, and razor, which of course all came packed and were disposable. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Bilbao. It is right by the Zubizari Bridge and literally and 3 minute walk to the Guggenheim Museum. You are also a two minute walk to the Aranxtada Funicular, which takes you up the mountain for great panoramic views of the city!! If you are going to Bilbao to enjoy a quick weekend trip and don't want to spend tons of money on accomodations, then definitely stay at the Best Western Conde Duque....beautiful clean hotel for a small price!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank ALeJune

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2009

We just stayed here for one night. We arrived late and got a taxi from the airport, just 25 euros. Easy check in, the room was fairly standard. It was very convenient for the Guggenheim, just a 5 minute walk across the river. Also handy for the tram stop which goes directly to the bus station. We also ate in the hotel restaurant and the food was good, we recommend the tortilla!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mjbwan
Pune
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

My husband and I stayed here in May 2008. It is a very nice hotel, walking distance from the Guggenheim Museum and almost exactly opposite the Calatrava Bridge. The airport bus doesnot go to the hotel directly but close to it about 15 mins away. We took a taxi from and to the airport. It was no problem.

We paid around 79 Euros with breakfast which was reasonable. We didnot get the rooms which overlook the Calatrava Bridge and the Guggenheim Musuem, I would recommend those rooms. The bathrooms were excellent, clean. The rooms were very nice and functional. The staff were excellent and very co-operative.

In bilbao, most restaurants open after 8pm, so donot expect to have dinner before that. I would recommend the restaurants along the canal, the view is nice and food excellent.

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank TravelPune
WGC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2009

Hotel rooms were big, clean and bright. Reception were friendly. Outside rooms were great, but don't get a court yard one, by brother kept the window shut!! Do not make the same mistake as us by eating in the evening in the hotel restaurant. The lack of customers should have been a sign. We were charged high restaurant prices for what can be described as a 'tv dinner'. Obviously reheated and slid on to plate. My family had 'steak' or 'ham' which looked the same - tv dinner slices, I had cod stuffed peppers which were arranged in a circle - each one a different temperature - cold to warm. The same resturant served the buffet breakfast - which was adequate and limited in selection. I would recommend hotel to a friend but only the hotel!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank EEDWgc
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2008

We just stayed at the Conde Duc and were able to walk to the hotel with 2 suitcases from the downtown bus stop where the airport public bus drops off. The bus trip was 1.25 Euros each(cab ride 20 Euros+).

The hotel is in a great location across from one of the modern pedestrian walkways and a lovely promenade that runs along the main downtown river. You can walk to the Guggenheim in 15 minutes. There is also a light rail stop just across the walkway.

The hotel restaurant is a great deal with a decent variety of entrees and the drink prices in the bar are very reasonable. Unfortunately the restaurant and bar were closed for Saturday and Sunday lunch and dinner - a major disappointment that ought to be addressed.

We asked for an quiet interior room and it was indeed quiet but it had a window opening into an interior patio shaft that runs up to the top of the building somewhat like some older Paris hotels where you learn about life from the sounds. The cooking smells from the first floor restaurant made opening the window chancy but necessary as the air conditioning only emitted tepid air, and lucky or unlucky for us our stay had unseasonably warm weather. It's possible, since it was early spring, that they hadn't got their air system up and running yet. I speak reasonable Spanish but the answer to the aircon problems was vague. I would write the hotel and ask about the aircon and get it on the record. We finally left the room door ajar when in the room until retiring for the night. I would recommend asking for one the larger rooms that face the street with the great view with windows that open into the fresh air.

A few minor other problems with the room that require my rating it down were where the bathroom door was a heavy tomb sealer that had to be lifted up and dragged closed with noisy effort. Also, inexplicably, the room lights would turn off and the circuit breaker switch above the bathroom door had to be reset.

Regardless of the usual 3 star inconsistencies, the price of our room and the unexpected good restaurant make the Conde Duque my choice for a return trip.

• Liked — Price and Location and attractive lobby
  • Disliked — Average Breakfast with room inconsistencies
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Wanderlust099
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2005

I booked this hotel through the internet where I specified an exterior room and having done so would recommend this. I was given a large room with a balcony on the Guggenheim side of the building which was great. Nice view but not too noisy. The bathroom was of a palatial proportion but the plumbing was possessed. It seems to instantly jump from luke-warm to scalding without warning. This aside - I enjoyed my stay. The wood floors are nice, the walls slightly thin but I didn't find noise an issue and I am a light sleeper. The staff were friendly and the breakfast pretty good with unlimited freshly squeezed orange juice. The location I think is perfect being midway between the Guggenheim and the old town. In terms of eating I highly recommend the gourmet restaurant at the Guggenheim and Cafe Irunya

• Stayed September 2005
9 Thank WStradlater
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2005

Beware of getting a room next to the maid's closet. My room was at the end of a winding hallway, and an unidentified door was next to it. The floors were wooden. The first morning I was woken up around 7 am by what sounded like someone rolling a rollerbag next to my room. The noise returned periodically. But it happened at the same time every day. I finally figured out that the maid starts cleaning that early, rolls out a vacuum cleaner, and rolls it loudly over those wooden floors! (I don't know if all rooms are equally affected.)

On the plus side, the breakfast buffet was very nice. The dining room has English language menus for lunch and dinner (typical-of-Spain VERY LATE dining times for each meal), so while some of the waiters don't speak much English, you can point to what you want on the English menu and that's all it takes.

Internet access worked fine. I had to buy 24-hour access cards at the front desk.

I had a rental car (from the BIO airport) and so I used the parking lot. It's about two blocks from the hotel. You park on the street (10 min max) and quickly do just enough of the check-in for them to give you directions and instructions for the parking lot, then go park, then come back and finish your check-in. The parking is deep underground, and you have to get out of your car partway up a very steep ramp to push a button to alert the hotel to open the garage door to let you exit. Quite challenging with a stick shift until I figured out I could stop before the ramp, run up, push the button, run back down to my car, and they opened the door without me being right at the button.

For the Guggenheim, it's an ideal location (a walkbridge across the river is right outside the hotel), and there's a real nice walking area along the river.

Figuring out how to drive to and from the hotel was rather difficult, especially because the exit the hotel's website told me to take was closed during the whole time I was there, and because a lot of major Bilboa streets are one-way but most maps don't show that.

Hotel staff was very helpful. I realized on my last day that I had booked for 3 nights when I needed 4, and they were able to extend me no problem.

• Stayed April 2005