“Out of this world”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Restaurante Lar

Restaurante Lar
Reserve with
Restaurante Lar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #92 of 1,103 Restaurants in Bilbao
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Abando
Salisbury
“Out of this world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is a small family run restaurant which doesn't serve dinner until about 9ish but is absolutely worth the wait for us british that eat so early! There is no menu but the friendly owner explains a meat or fish set menu to you to choose from. Me and my mum went for the fish menu which was a starter of a tuna and white leek salad followed by clams followed by turbot. I have not eaten most of these before but they were all fantastic and cooked simply but with great flavours really showing off the seafood as the star of each plate. The turbot was the best piece of fish I have ever tasted. It is not a cheap restaurant at about 100 euros for the two of us for 4 courses and 2 drinks but it is fantastic value for the quality of food. I would recommend this authentic (non touristic) restaurant to anyone who loves their food. I still tell people about this restaurant months after I went and will definitely go back if I am ever in Bilbao again. Locals also eat at this restaurant. Thank you Restaurante Lar!

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Natalie H

Hobart, Australia
“Great place for breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We were staying at the Hostal Benona so Lar was just across the alley from us - and what a lucky coincidence this was. The waitress was very tolerant of my attempts to order in Spanish and we had excellent coffee, orange juice, cakes pastries, bocadillos and tortillas (no, we are not pigs - we went back several times!). The atmosphere is interesting with intriguing famiy photos from the 50s andd 60s (?) and the place seems to be popular at lunch and dinner. If you stay at HB (or close by) try this wonderful relaxed place.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Candide57
“Different and good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We asked for the menu cart. Just a minut ...I am the menucart. I will be there in 30 sek.
I small place with very nice spanish food and good wines. Beef, fish, ham, salat etc. and homemade cakes.
A menu was 25 euros and wine by the glass if you wish.

Stuttgart
“Excellent family-run seafood restaurant with excellent wine selection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

A group of us reserved dinner at Lar and the owner offered to cook a customized menu for us. So we had a 5-course meal of some of the best seafood and Basque dishes I've ever tasted, accompanied by different wines, chosen by him, that really suited the food. The restaurant is cozy, run by his family (pictures of whom decorate the walls), very comfortable and friendly - and the food was excellent. He has a few hundred bottles of wine in his cellar, so that part is good as well. Highly recommended.

• Visited November 2011