“Good stay overall - avoid Bilbao on Sundays”

AliciaZzz Bed & breakfast bilbao
Ranked #12 of 26 Bilbao B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night in July 2011.

Room: spacious bedroom & bathroom. No covered wardrobe to hang clothes - just a rod but plenty of room/hangers. Other reviewers mentioned there were no doors to the bathroom - honestly I cannot remember but I do recall steam making its way to the bedroom and dampening all my clothes which was extremely annoying since I had to pack that morning and everything got wrinkled. Room was clean with the exception of a razor that was still in the shower from a previous guest.

Location: excellent. Surrounded my shops and restaurants. About a 20 minute walk to the Guggenheim. We also walked to the hotel from the bus station (finding the actual building was a little tricky). The taxi rank is a 5 minute walk and taxis are available 24/7. We caught one at 5:00am to get to the airport no problem.

Service: you're pretty much on your own at this B&B. Upon arrival we did receive a map and all points of interest were pointed out which was useful. But there wasn't anyone at front desk for most the day if you needed anything.

Overall: for one night we had no complaints and enjoyed our stay. I would recommend the hotel and we thought it was good value considering it was quite inexpensive.

Tip: Try to avoid Bilbao on a Sunday. Almost everything was closed (except the museum of course). And if you're stuck there on a Sunday like we were have your biggest meal at lunch - we found almost no eating spots were open and if they were they were only open at lunch and not dinner. I liked Bilbao and I wish I got to experience it in its full liveliness.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 29, 2011

This is the perfect little hostel, small and quiet with a perfect location in old town. Bilbao is very easy to get around and there's lots to see after the amazing Guggenheim.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I am disappointed in my stay at Alicia. Some of the downfalls already pointed out in previous reviews (such as the noise from the street or the bizarre bathroom arrangement) did not affect me personally, as I am not a light sleeper and I was travelling with my wife.

I do feel, however, that this establishment is let down by the severe lack of attention from its management. As a matter of fact, there hardly seems to be any staff at all. During our two-night stay we only ever saw one member of staff, a room attendant. I was warned in advance that there wouldn't be anyone to greet us upon arrival, and an access code was provided so we could enter the hotel, where our room key and bill would be ready. The key was there, but the bill was nowhere to be seen.

The following morning, we had to clean the coffee maker in order to prepare our breakfast; breakfast is self-service, of which we were aware of, and I have no quibbles with that, but I wasn't expecting to have to do the washing-up! In the evening, we returned to our room to find that the service consisted simply of making the bed up: the bin had not been emptied, the floor had not been swept or vacuumed and the morning's coffee stains on our table remained there.

Upon departure, we asked the room attendant, as she was the only member of staff we encountered, whether she had our bill. Since she did not, we then asked whether she knew if they had taken payment for the room, which she was not sure of. She resorted to calling somebody (management, I imagine) at a different property, who assured her that we hadn't been charged; she then took payment on our card, after which she gave us only the credit card slip, but no bill to speak of.

Alicia is a charming place (although I don't care much for the theme), well located, with nicely appointed rooms and decent value for money. But I can't help feeling that it is let down by its management, who seem to wish that the place runs itself.

As an anecdote, I find the name of our room, "El Juicio Final" (The Final Judgement) a bit inappropriate. I am aware that the room themes are inspired in Alice in Wonderland, but still it seems a poor choice.

Room Tip: Room 105 is largest, but it is also exposed to the noisiest side of the hotel (as is 106). Both 105...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HasEgyptianFace
Reviewed October 6, 2011

A wonderful and slightly off beat (in a nice way) place to stay in the busy centre of Bilbao. With all the amenities of the City literally at the doorstep you would not wish for a more convenient spot from which to explore this place. Very comfortable rooms and happy communicative management and staff. A bit hard to find - our taxi driver had not heard of it - the B&B is quite new still and not yet on everyone's radar - so keep looking. Actually that is (for afficianados of Alice in Wonderland) quite in keeping with the theme!! You will work out what I mean by that when you get here!

Room Tip: Only six rooms all very similar except the corner room which overlooks the street with floor to ceil...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2011

This was good value, budget accommodation in the lovely old town. Despite the central location, we didn't find it noisy at all. The bathroom situation wasn't ideal but it wasn't a major issue. If you're that bothered by it then it's best not to book or go and spend a few minutes helping yourself to a juice or drink from the kitchen area while the other person makes use of the toilet.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Why is the toilet not separated from the bed in a couple room????
I am sure with an extra few euros you can put a door there.
Also, croissants in the moorning are better when they were not preapared the day before, just basic stuff that one would expect and yet not provided.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Miguelche
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Absolutely the best choise. One of the bests place ever. Cozy rooms, frinedly staff and original design!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple