“A-buzz at most hours - gateway to the Ledesma”
Review of Cafe Iruna

Cafe Iruna
Ranked #50 of 1,201 Restaurants in Bilbao
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Abando
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We went to Cafe Iruna (Irunja?) for lunch and later the next day as part of pintxos "crawl". We had the daily special (as did most of the locals who were dining around us). This was excellent value and a very nice meal. I had a salad (not such a good idea as I think that this was a disparaging offering to vegetarieans), then red mullet and a tarte au pomme (nice and tart). Cunegonde had lamb ribs and a citron sorbet. All of this came with a DOC Crianza 2008 Rioja for a paltry sum. Walking back, we realised that Cafe Irunja was opposite the Palace of Justice (explains all the well-fed suits) and on the corner of a closed street - Ledesma - that was heaving at lunch-time. We decided that we would return later to sample a few.
We started later that evening at the Cafe Irunja where we had a couple of fantastic morunos (a nod towards the Moorish past), lamb kebabs charcoal grilled and basted with aromatic herbs. All accompanied with txakoli for Cunegonde and Rioja for myself. This was a pattern where we tottered from one establishment to another up Ledesma - a generally very happy experience.

1  Thank Candide57
Write a ReviewReviews (1,992)

Reviewed September 14, 2012

The cafe is a historY by itself. According to the records it is a century old cafe. The tiles and the paintings on the walls are worth seeing them.
Food is also served in the cafe. Not much variety but it was tasty.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

A great place to have a few tapas or pintxos when most everything else is closed. I imagine by day time is exciting as well. The tapas are very good, service friendly and efficient.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Basil Fawlty had a certain charisma to his obnoxiousness, however the waiter who greeted my friend and me on arrival after the Athletic Bilbao v Valladolid game was a disgrace to his profession; stuffy, rude, charmless, and checking his watch as he took our order, unbelievable. My black pudding, onions and tomato dish was nice, but not sensational, and certainly not worth its price, my friend's dish of Pulpo was like a ball of elastic bands, tasteless and had to be sent back twice, on both occasions the same garbage returned direct from the microwave in the same hideous condition. Really poor for a place that is supposed to be a cultural landmark.

1  Thank GreedyMessiah
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Went to try there lam kebabs on my first night, and it was so good that I went 2 more time in the 3 day I was in Bilbao. Did not try anything else.. but go for the kebabs that is grilled in front of you.
Friendly service.