“Delicious food in the cenre of Gijon”

Restaurante Sidreria La Galana
Ranked #16 of 911 Restaurants in Gijon
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Cimadevilla
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I've eaten here a few times since coming to Gijon and can't say enough good things about it. The staff are friendly and welcoming and the food is outstanding. I've had both seafood and meat dishes and both were fantastic. Lots of choice and considering the size of the portions of food it's good value for money.

There are newer reviews for Restaurante Sidreria La Galana

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We discovered this restaurant just walking by one evening after having settled into a nearby hotel. Had not even planned in stopping in Gijon on our road trip so it was a complete surprise discovery. The atmosphere of the restaurant immediately caught our eye. It is big, airy and lively yet cozy feeling at the same time due to the nice decor and warm colors. The service was friendly, helpful and efficient. The food was really excellent and the portions generous. I ordered a beef dish which was cooked to perfection. We unanimously agreed that we would not hesitate to return here again if ever we returned to Gijon!

Reviewed October 16, 2011

We happened to walk by La Galana and noticed the dishes on the outside dining tables looked absolutely delicious. We looked at the menu and it seemed a bit on the expensive side, but gave it a try anyway. The interior is very nice. There is a large antique looking press (printing I think) in the main dining area and a large fireplace that gives the dining room a very warm feel. We sat near the fireplace (no fire). Our waiter seemed a little preoccupied and ordering was a bit difficult because they didn't have some of the dishes listed in the menu or the waiter couldn't describe what some of the dishes were. My family had 2 fluent spanish speakers so language was not an issue, but the waiter seemed irritated with our order. The bread, beer and wine were all very good and the food was very tasty as well. While the meal was overall good, I didn't think it was worth the price we paid. I'd try this restaurant again for a special occasion with my wife, but not for a family meal.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

We ate here on 2 lunchtimes with our twin toddlers. The set menu was brilliant value at 12 euros (plus a 1.20 supplement for eating on the terrace). The menu included starter, main, desert and a bottle of wine and bottle of water. The choice of starter was a salad (jamon & cheese on the 1st visit, sardine on the 2nd) or soupy stew (cannot remember the 1st visit but the 2nd was beans and octopus). The stew was great as they bough a big portion and plates for the twins free of charge! The set main (veal on the 1st visit & slow cooked beef cheek the 2nd) and a trifle like desert although on the 2nd visit they also provided a pre-starter taste of a mini fish salad!

Reviewed September 18, 2011

I had the Menu of the Day - which at 18euros - was more than I usually pay, but it was pricer than the rest of the week as it was Sunday. For this I got an Asturian cheese sample platter, haricot beans cooked with spider crab, and a delicious roast lamb steak (price also included bread and water/wine). By the end of the meal I was too full for dessert. The other in my party ordered a racion of chorizo, eggs, potatoes and peppers - the size of which was enormous - and the combination reminded me somewhat of an english breakfast - which I was informed was very tasty (and again very filling).

From watching some other orders come out, it looked like there was some good quality fish dishes on the menu.

It was a very atmospheric cider house, although the restaurant was more formal. Service very efficient in the restaurant, but if you wanted smaller portions or a less formal setting there was a very busy bar at the front, with some standing-only tables outside on the Plaza Mayor. This wasn't the best Asturian food I had, but it was a good and very filling menu.