“Hopefully not representative of flamenco”
Review of La Carboneria

La Carboneria
Ranked #1 of 233 Nightlife in Seville
Phoenix, Arizona
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Hopefully not representative of flamenco”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Last resort after trying for three nights to find "authentic" flamenco. The room was dark and full of tourists, not locals. The singer was mediocre and the dancer looked angry the entire time. At least the guitar player had some talent. And this was a Saturday night. Can't imagine what it is like during the week. Of course the hot dog and lemonade on the chalkboard menu should have been a huge sign that we were not in an authentic venue.

Visited February 2014

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great night”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

To be honest the official flamenco wasn't great. But then it's off season on a Tuesday night. However, after most folks had gone home a guy on the piano and several other folks put in impromptu performances. Great fun

Visited March 2014
Washington DC & San Diego CA
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Worst Flamenco ever”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Maybe it is because I went on a Monday night and they had the poorer artist that
night. I am a big Flamenco fan and go to Flamenco a lot---she was the worst
dancer I've ever seen, bar none. And, she only danced ONE dance (which was a
blessing, given the poor performance). Plus there was no male dancer at all. I
felt really sorry for people who had never seen flamenco before and were
introduced to it this way. If I could give this place zero stars I would, but I
guess it earns one star for the ambiance. It might be better on other nights,
but I suspect the better dancers (in higher demand) go to places that pay them
well---which means the places that charge you more.

Still, you get what you pay for: Carboneria is free, but you will need to buy
drinks (and possibly want some tapas), and the quality of the available food and
drink is also TERRIBLE. You will wind up paying as much for bad flamenco as if
you had sprung for a bit more and gone to a better show. And at the better
shows, you see a lot more dancing, too.

I have studied flamenco but am a novice; however, I've attended literally dozens of performances in Spain (and in other countries, when the professionals from Seville go on tour). Still I don't recommend the expensive tablao dinner shows around Seville (although they may command the best dancers); you can see really excellent flamenco for much less. We saw the best Flamenco of our entire Spain trip at the very nearby La Casa del Flamenco in the Alcantara Hotel, for 18 Euros. That is a better show and one I really recommend, with relatively intimate seating in a lovely setting and VERY talented artists---but it sells out totally, so you will need reservations. If you can't get in there, then try "Casa de la Guitarra"; same price as Alcantara and also nearby, and a much better show than Carboneria (but not as good as Alcantara's). However, in both of these locations, there are no refreshments available.

I don't understand the reviews that laud this place, unless they went on a night when better talent was on display. This venue was a waste of time and I'm sorry we went, instead of looking for a better flamenco location.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank roeslers
Geelong, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A great night out”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We really enjoyed our night out here. We were keen to see some Flamenco, but didn't want to sit in neatly lined up chairs in a touristy establishment (there are plently of these). La Carboneria is frequented by locals and tourists alike, and there is no cover charge.

It is the kind of place where you sit at laminex tables on bench seats and eat (not so great) tapas off pieces of paper, but hey, the food is not what you're there for. The bar is decent and service is great.

The flamenco shows start at around 10, or 9.30 in winter. There are three sets with brief breaks in between. The dancers we saw were excellent, as was the guitarist. The dancing wraps up at around midnight, but the front bar stays open and we were lucky enough to have someone playing piano with everyone dancing around and singing.

It was great fun, very family friendly and free! A much more genuine experience than I think we would have had elsewhere. I definitely recommend this place.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Laurav1319
NW ENGLAND
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Back door maybe.... but absolutely top drawer”
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

La Carboneria I was told means 'back door' and it is a very small door to find but was worth our persistent search.

The Carbonari is an open house, a space, a meeting place where people gather in a relaxed atmosphere. The performers are often those who experienced some fame in times past, yet I can't imagine their passion or skill has diminished much over time.

As we entered we were greeted enthusiastically and handed a tick box order sheet for the tapas on offer. The room was clearly an old commercial property with the ceilings 2 stories high. Yet the size of the room meant only 40 or so people could mingle to enjoy the smoking log fire that was creating much appreciated warmth.

There was a small stage in the corner where a performer was packing up his guitar. We were ushered through into a large two tiered room with a long bar on one side, and tapas bar on the other.

The stage is small and the sloping corrugated ceiling gives an immediate feel of intimacy. However when full, this room with its long wooden benches and tables could easily accommodate more than 200people and was filling quickly around 2230 on a Saturday night.

There was a guitarist whose talent for creating the accompaniment was to make believe he was in fact a group of several musicians.

The singer had a style which embraced Moorish and Arabic themes and his I provisions were clearly straight from his soul.

The flamenco dancer was a little more rotund than the waifs seen hiking from tourist bar to bar where they perform 10 minute sets then send around the hat for a donation.

As a rhythm piano musician myself, I was mesmerised by the complex motifs she produced with the flick of heel and toe. The sheer intensity of the performance was captivating, and even the minimalist moments saw our belle quivering with emotion and adrenalin - all for the price of a non-expensive drink.

In the summer, performances are enacted in the garden area.

For me this back door tavern is in fact the top drawer place to visit when in Seville... when it comes to entertainment and value.

Visited January 2014