Pension San Pancracio
Hotel Amadeus(Seville)
All reviewstapasmin walkwificathedralflamenco
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Excellent location in the Barrio Santa Cruz, less than 5 min walk to the Alcazar and Cathedral. Family owned.

Room was comfortably furnished with a large armoire, desk, sink, and hooks for your coats. Bed was comfortable. Sheets were clean but there was a spot on my thick blanket that smelled like the back of a sweaty man's neck. I just turned it over...I had a comfortable night's sleep but my roommate complained of a sewage smell. It may have come out of the sink since her bed was closer to the sink.

Shared bathrooms were...average. When you shower, do not put your clothes on the hooks as the condensation that forms in the room then drips onto your clothes and makes them wet! Very inconvenient. Shower was good with hot water and good drainage but some always leaked onto the floor. It seemed like many rooms were sharing the one shower. I did not have to wait for a shower but there was always water on the floor. The bathrooms also smelled like...plumbing with a faint hint of sewer.

The pension usually closes around 3 a.m. but there is a back-up plan if you want to stay out late, you just call the cell phone of the grave shift worker and he will open the door for you.

Wifi was reliable. Overall a good budget accommodation but probably not the best budget stay in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank leilapalooza
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed at Pension San Pancracio during the Easter weekend so understandably accommodation was at a premium. Unfortunately we were placed in a newly painted room which still smelt very strongly of paint. We were moved half way through our stay into a twin room as the double had already been booked but thankfully this was much better and did not smell!

Its a shame that neither of the rooms had windows as each morning we had to dash outside to decide on what to wear for the day and I could see that the lack of showers could be an issue although thankfully I never clashed with anyone else!

The lady who staffed the desk was friendly and approachable however the grandpa who was often watching tv/snoozing/manning the desk seemed to rather enjoy grumbling away to us in Spanish when we sadly could not understand!

Good location but unless I was on a serious budget or every where else was full, I don't think I would return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Room + Sleep Quality:
I had Room No. 02. It's located in the main receiving area. Room is small but practical for a solo traveler like myself. It even comes with a sink, closet, and a working desk. Quite comfortable for 20 Euros a night. I had expected less. Clean towels and a tidy bed welcomed me. Mattress is soft, but that's more of a preference and most beds I've slept in were of the same manner throughout my trek. Not a complaint.

Room comes with a window that faces into the main lobby, rendering the sensation of sleeping inside a miniature house within a miniature house with plants and natural light from skylight. I imagined the space has been converted into this fashion from a former a classic open-air Sevillian courtyard. Charming. Lots of natural sunlight from skylight.

While I didn't get too settled in with this place, it was safe, quiet, and comfortable for my short two night stay. Solid sleep!

Shared Baths + Toilets:
Shared bathrooms and toilets are clean during my visit. Also, to note, the time I had visited Seville was end of November. The temperature is fair to chilly in the evening. There is no proper heating in this pension, but the comforters provided made the sleep comfortable. (I was also in layers prepared for situations like this.) The bathrooms, however, do not have heating. There is hot running water.

Key!
Don't leave the pension with your obnoxious gigantic heavy room key, as I did, and later get scolded about it. (They hadn't mentioned the protocol to me upon arrival.) Visitors must leave it at reception, so the staff knows you're out and about. Makes sense to me.

Other Bits:
Owners are pleasant and friendly. There is the slumbering old man that many here have mentioned with his big o' fluffy husky/malamute dog named "Gordo" – Fatty – who'll beg for your kind affection or trip you over. (Doubt he's there to guard the place.) The man and his dog together makes for characters out of a book or movie. There is also a middle aged woman there ready to be at your service and any questions you may have.

Reception:
Reception is open all day until 2AM-ish. A young man is usually around during the graveyard shift with Fatty to allow you in.

Location:
Santa Ana is like a maze and a classic old part of Seville. Many ways to get lost, many things to discover before reaching out to the new parts of the city. Again, a smart phone or map is considerably helpful especially if you're lost in the middle of the night and alone (hardly anyone is around to ask for directions). The area is fairly safe (and fun to get lost in) especially at night. The narrow streets are desolate at the late hours with exception of areas with tapas bars. Everything you want to see is within walking distance. No need for a metro or car. Discovering a city is best by foot here.

Map It!
As previous reviews had mentioned, do print out a map or pin the location on your smart mobile phone before setting out looking for this pension. There are many pensions in this particular area of Santa Ana, but San Pancracio is easily missed if not careful. You'll know you've made it if you have located the three holy crosses (hence the name of the street – "calle cruces") erected centered at a small plaza. Look around you, there should be a fold-out sign on the ground with the name Pension San Pancracio pointing to the direction of the narrow walkway to their entrance. For a second, it felt like being a part of the video game Link of Zelda looking for a special key.

Room Tip: I had Room No. 02 for two nights and it's located in the main receiving area. May be an issue if it was high time and a lot of people walking in and out, but not the issue during my stay. Room is small but practical for a solo traveler. Comes with a sink, a working desk, and a closet. Gets natural sunlight from skylight.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank travelingbeats
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Very good little pension in an excellent location.
I stayed here in Oct 12 and it was perfect. I'll start with the one negative point...... it looks like there's several double rooms all being service by the same one shower room. There are 2 toilets but that's it.
So... what a location, so close to the action - brilliant.
And..what friendly helpful guys on reception, very accommodating and eager to please.
I give this place 5 stars, it's not the plushest palace butit hits all the right notes!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jimoceans
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The absolute best thing about this pension is the location. You could not get better for the price in the heart of the Barrio Santa Cruz. Our double room was a decent size and the bed was comfortable. I thought the lack of air con would be a problem but because of the layout of the building the sun never really enters the room and therefore the huge fan provided is enough (and it almost hit 55 degrees one day we were there). I never found the shared bathroom to be a problem, it was always clean and available. The staff were also extremely helpful.
The Pension itself is set out like a typical Sevillian house, it's so charming you couldn't fail to love it and one of the most lovely things about it is the dog you'll have to climb over when entering the pension.
I would recommend getting the bus from the airport and then checking google maps from the drop off point to the hotel to make sure you don't get lost as i can imagine it would be hard to find with no preparation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple