“Decent location, but better places available”

Samay Hostel Sevilla
Ranked #37 of 160 Specialty Lodging in Seville
Reviewed May 4, 2013

The doors maybe open, but basically all you're allowed to do after midnight is sleep. This is an issue since it is Spain and I never ate before 9pm and never got back to the hostel before 1pm. The only wifi is in the lobby or kitchen & the only place with outlets to charge your devices is the kitchen which closed at midnight. Due to time zones, I needed to call at 2am when everyone was asleep & could hear me because the common area is open to the upper floors. Staff was great, but the place was not very clean & in disrepair. If the terrace & kitchen were kept open and had wifi throughout, I could overlook the unkempt building.

I felt like I had a curfew again at 38. I was assigned the top bunk for 5 days and the two days I had a roommate they placed them in the bunk below me rather than the other bed in the room. The beds were basic twins that served their purpose, but the bunks were very creaky. The shower was okay, but leaked water all over and the "towels" they provided were disgusting. My first towel was crusty and full of holes. The next was crusty and they left it there for 3 days. They only provide a light blanket which is not cleaned. You turn in your sheets, but they do not wash the blankets or provide covers for them. This is a gross practice.

When the kitchen is open, it is great. Fully equipped and even has tea, coffee & sugar provided. Outlets for your technology abound. It's the best room in the house. The terrace is pretty, but not comfortable. A good place to gather, but if we could hangout & check internet, more people would probably spend time there. Cushions would be a plus.

Again, great staff. Very helpful and always smiling- I can't say enough good things about them, but next time I'm in Sevilla, I will try another hostel.

Room Tip: The street side was a good view of city life, but very loud except between 4am-6am. I was able to re...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank gettingworldly
There are newer reviews for Samay Hostel Sevilla

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Choosing the Samay hostel was a great choice for our trip to Sevilla. Everything was extremely clean, the staff were very nice and helpful, and we loved the Flamenco performance they arranged (€14). We booked a 3-person apartment, which was in a separate building across the courtyard, meaning we didn't have wifi access in our room. Also, all the apartments share a hall bath, which was very clean. Our room didn't really have heating (I'm told that's typical for Sevilla though) but the staff told us we could have as many blankets as we wanted as it got pretty chilly. Overall, a good stay and I'd recommend it to anyone traveling through Sevilla.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Out of all the hostels/hotels I stayed in while traveling in Spain this had the best beds, service, and a warn atmosphere. Had a great walking tour (thanks to Millie), and they gave us great tips on hiring bikes etc.

Room Tip: Double room was great had lots of room and a window.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Abrampc
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was on my way to Portugal from Morocco. Doing a dry run for my backpacking in Europe come December. So i took the ferry, took the buses, did that whole thing. And so I was pooped when I got to Seville. I first stopped at La Raza??? Restaurant, then hopped on the C2 bus with the intentions of getting a bus to Lisbon. But I seriously too tired to rough it. So I went to O'Neils Irish Pub. And then went to NH next door to crash with someone who offered, that DID NOT go well. So I found Samay (Feet Up) online and it was perfect. All I needed was shower and wifi. They had both but seemed funky and cool and laid back. And sure enough when I pulled up they were all these things and even better! My Spanish had been buried under some intensive months of Arabic studies, so i must be honest and say i handed the phone to a stranger to make my reservation. :) But when I arrived Julia relieved me a bit and spoke English. Julia was very very thorough, fun, easy to get along with. I watched her with like 6 other customers and she was just super friendly. This was perfect for me because I was just so pooped (tired)! And what a wonderful way to be received so late at night!

Oh and another thing; I'm an avid cyclist and just wanted to ride a bike through Seville. And she had significant amount of info on how to do that! I ended up booking a double. Very very very pleased with the cleanliness, and decor. :) Reminded me of a comfy college room! The location is right nxt to the trolley and bars and quite central!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Aneesah A
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Welcoming staff, many activities, good rooms and beds, always clean, well-provided self catering kitchen, and places to make new friends (the lounge room, the terrace).

Last but not least, very good location, just 1 minute from the Bairro Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: Ask kindly by email to be put in a quiet room. There is a lot of noise coming from the avenue, but i...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gabititou
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My first time visitng the city, the hostel was very good. The staff we welcome and spoke a variety of languages. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. The location was good, on the outskirts of the old town meant that within 5 min walk you were in the middle of town.
Only downside was the breakfast, very uninsiping however when there was so much to do and eat in Sevilla it was not an issue.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Matthew D
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The hostel is very close to the bus station, however if you don't have a map of Seville and get your bearings, get a taxi! We were greeted by a lovely guy on reception, I think was Harvey or Pavel, can't remember which, but he could not have been nicer or more helpful. We paid for beds in a four bed dorm and were lucky enough to be on our own. Rooms were absolutely spotless as were the bathrooms and all areas of the building. A lovely rooftop terrace for smoking and chilling. Very central to all locations and right beside the circular bus route which is a great way to get around. There was always somebody on the reception and whoever it was, was always very friendly. We only got to stay for one night, which was unfortunate, however, we are planning to go back to Seville for a longer stay, and I will not even think about staying anywhere else. Fantastic place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple