“In serious need of a makeover!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Sol y Luna

Casa Sol y Luna
Ranked #146 of 161 Specialty Lodging in Seville
Sydney
“In serious need of a makeover!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2009

Price paid per night: 45 euros
Would I stay again for the price? No
Would I recommend it for the price? No way
The good:
- location is ok
- wireless internet
The bad:
- having to call the day before to confirm the booking?!?
- even if room is free no check in until 2pm
- poor soundproofing
- terrible shower
- cracked tiles on sloping floor
- room looks and feels old and dusty

We booked here using an LP guidebook. Clearly they have no idea about accommodation as this and a couple of other places we stayed confirmed - they are pretty good with food recommendations though. Anyway, the only good things about this place are the price (but you get as little as you pay for) and the young guy at the front desk who was helpful. Avoid unless you want hostel type accomodation or just to crash for 1 night - we unfortunately stayed 2.

I would recommend the Flamenco show at the place next to Hotel Alcantra (which looked like a good hotel actually) and eating at a slightly out the way place called 'La Madrazza'.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lipaustralia

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2009

My friend and I stayed here for one night during Holy Week. (Be prepared for huge crowds and elevated prices in Seville if you go then!) The place is nice, has a friendly staff, and is very centrally located. We were in a double room with a shared bathroom for 38 euros/night. There is nothing fancy about Casa Sol y Luna, but for the price you can't expect much more! Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Shawnee Mission, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2008

We made reservations here based on the recommendations of two guidebooks but without first checking Tripadvisor. Never again. Believe the reviews you read here. The pictures on the website look charming, the guidebooks are effusive, but this was by far the worst experience we've had in more than six weeks in Spain (and ten weeks in Europe). When a hostal requires you to pay for your entire stay in advance, there's a reason.

The hostal is located a 10 to 15 minute walk from the old city center in a mixed business, residential, and commercial neighborhood. The streets are very narrow and traffic noise was not noticeable. There's an internet shop at the end of the block, very handy.

As requested, we called in advance and arrived as anticipated. The receptionist showed us to our room, accessible only through a large central area. The room itself was adequate, with bed, bedside tables, wardrobe, and dresser, but no exterior window or sink. The only window opened onto the interior lounge area, and one of the transoms that was to provide ventilation was broken. To our surprise, neither the window nor the glass in the door had opaque curtains. That made changing clothes unnerving (to say the least) because we were never sure how much was visible or who might walk by.

We booked a room with a shared bath but unlike other shared bath arrangements on our trip, this room had no sink in the room. Having to wait to brush your teeth, put in contacts, or even wash your hands was a chronic inconvenience. Plus, guests who were staying in rooms WITH a bath would use the shared bath, making the waits even longer. And if you think a shared bath in inconvenient, how about having the light switch outside the door to your room? Yup, had to open the door to turn off the light, although to be fair, you could reach the switch without actually stepping outside the room.

And how did we know who was staying where? That central room outside our door was where reception went over accommodation options, etc. with guests. Could we close the transom to cut down on the noise? No, that would cut off all air circulation. Need something more than a transom to ventilate your room? Rent a fan for an additional three Euros.

Other reviewers have mentioned unfriendly staff. The young woman who checked us in was pleasant. But other than seeing the occasional housekeeper, she was the only recognizable "staff" we saw. There were lots of rules posted in the room and in the baths though, so we figured someone was keeping tabs on us.

So why did we stay here? We typically stay in budget accommodations and are pretty low maintenance so I figured we'd be fine. It looks great in the pictures, sounds great in print, and guidebooks I trust recommended it. But, the Tripadvisor reviews gave a much more accurate evaluation and our experience was very similar. Next time, I'll consult Tripadvisor first!

• Liked — It was better than a park bench.
  • Disliked — It was only slightly better than a park bench.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank quindaro

Travelers are raving about these Seville hotels

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2008

The first problem occurred as soon as my husband and I arrived. Instead of calling 24 hours prior to our arrival to re-re-re-confirm our reservation, we sent an email informing Casa Sol Y Luna that we were unable to call, but this very same email reassured the hotel that we were on schedule and even gave our EXACT time of arrival. This information was not sufficient for the young lady at the desk to hold our reservation. After an unnecessary and irritating lecture about our not calling, she told us that our room was no longer available but could give us a room with separate beds. We were too tired to look for another place so we accepted the offered room. This room was terribly DARK and COLD, and there was HAIR on the bed sheets. The bathroom was even worse: loose, cracked tiles, foul smell. And there was no housekeeping staff, which means that during our stay NO ONE CAME TO DRY THE COMPLETELY FLOODED BATHROOM or clean anything. We had to cover the loose, cracked tiles on the flooded floor with several newspapers, otherwise it would be impossible to use the toilet. We did not have the option to leave because full payment was required and paid upon arrival. Casa Sol Y Luna should not be in business. I always stay in budget hotels but never found a place like this. Absolutely unacceptable. It's a shame that this"facility" is offered as accommodation.

• Liked — Location, nothing else.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FawltyTowers51
Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2008

Warning!! Do not stay at this hotel. My wife, 15 year old granddaughter and myself just stayed at this hotel, and I must say, it's not good. This little cute gal met us at the front gate and proceeded to chew us out for not confirming our reservations ahead of time. (She reminded us of Charo.) OK, my fault. But come on...I'm 52 years old. I don't need to be scolded for five minutes. We then went up the stairs to see if she still had a room. Of course, she did. About half way up the stairs, the place smelled like either urine or bad body odor. I can assure you that it was not us. About an hour after we entered our room, my granddaughter screamed, "Is that a cockroach?" Without exaggeration, it was three inches long and a half inch wide. Charo apologized, and we never saw her again. Don't believe what you see on their web site. And it's cash only!!

• Liked — The location was just OK.
  • Disliked — The smell and the cockroaches.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank GrampaDoodie
Durham, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2008

I am a budget traveler and simply require safe, clean, comfortable lodging, close to the city center/public trans., and a reasonable price. Therefore, my review is based on those requirements. This is a private home that rents out spare rooms with shared bath facilities. I booked a two-night stay in a single room with this guesthouse on the internet (e-mail). The response to my e-mails (and my pathetic attempts at Spanish) was prompt, cordial, and in English. They do not accept credit cards (cash only), so you must call the day before to confirm your reservation. This did prove to be a problem for me as the nice gentleman with whom I spoke did not understand my very limited Spanish and he spoke no English. However, I did e-mail that I would still be arriving as scheduled and my room was held for me. (The two ladies with whom I dealt that run the business do speak English extremely well.) The building design and decor are exactly what you would expect to find in an old Andalusian townhouse -- marbled foyer, wrought iron inner door, and grand staircase. However, this also means that you have to drag all your stuff up those stairs. The room itself was simply accommodation -- bed, armoire, chair, desk. But, it was safe, clean, and comfortable. It faced the street, and Seville is very noisy in the wee hours of the morning when the inconsiderate, singing barhoppers finally go home. No TV, phone, maid, or breakfast. The shared bathroom was next door. Adequate hot water, but the bracket for the shower head was broken so this made for an awkward one-handed shampoo. The location is perfect. It's on the edge of the historic area near the Plaza de Encarnacion (where you can get a bus to Santa Justa Station or anywhere else in the city) and a 10-minute walk through the lovely narrow streets to the Cathedral, Giralda, and Alcazar. I would note that "reception" is only available between 10 and 10, so you will want to arrive between those hours or the front door will be locked. It was an extremely good value at E22 per night (approximately $33/night).

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
PerthWestOz
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2007

Short and not so sweet review - booked this place by phone/internet but because I had no access to a phone 24 hrs prior to my arrival - courtesy of a broken down hire car - they rented my room out - I suppose my fault but this must be a real popular hotel if my three day booking could so easily be let out to a fellow traveller - but hey a short hoof away [800metres] is a true gem - hostal nuevo suizo. The former is on a noisy street and the latter an oh so quiet laneway.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything that I saw.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo