“Beware of credit card charges” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ribera de Triana Hotel
Ranked #51 of 179 Hotels in Seville
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Nottingham, UK
“Beware of credit card charges”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

Good quality hotel - well situated, nice room, quiet and a good breakfast. The reception desk could have been a bit more friendly but they were efficient.

HOWEVER, when it came to checking out, they told me that there was an extra 32 euros for parking, which I was expecting as it had been clearly stated. They charged my credit card as usual and then gave me the receipt in a nice envelope. When I eventually opened the envelope later, the receipt stated that I had been charged in pounds sterling at their rate of exchange with a 2% mark-up!

The receipt states: "I accept that I have been offered a choice of currencies for paying and that this choice is final. I accept the conversion rate, the final amount and that the selected currency is GBP". This was NOT TRUE - I was NOT asked if I wanted the bill in euros or sterling. I have a card that does not charge anything for conversion from euros and I want to be charged in euros.

In this case the bill was small (as I had paid for the room through Travel Republic in advance) and the extra not very much, but on a 400 euro bill it would be significant. I think that this is a sneaky and underhand way for a 4-star hotel to get more money!!

It's a shame - they would have a much higher rating otherwise.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian964
Amador R, General Manager at Ribera de Triana Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Brian964,

Thank you for your feedback and for stating the good quality of our hotel.

I’m very sorry to read that you felt overcharged although I’m pretty sure there has been a misunderstanding. Allowing payments in foreign currencies is a courtesy we provide to our guests and is completely voluntary. For this very specific reason we make sure 100% that clients are never overcharged. On the contrary, depending on client’s bank, billing is some or lower amount than in euros: you save the exchange tax. Again in any case the guest pays more and if ever a mistake (which is not the case now) happens in my hotel is in good faith.

If you want to contact me directly please do not hesitate to call at the hotel (+34 954 26 80 00) and ask for me. I’ll be very happy to personally explain you the misunderstanding we had.

Look forward to hear from you and to welcome back in Seville,

Amador Recio Crespo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Vienne, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

Negative: No possibility to choose between Double bed or twin on the web site. We discovered when we came, a double bed and view on the road(a bite noisy). We asked for a double bed but the reception said "we have just few double bed". We finally had a double bed in a smoker bedroom at 1 floor(the smell was ok) with a air conditioning without fresh air. They finally repaired it for the second night.
Swimming pool really small.
People not really friendly, no smile.

Positive: Really near the old center.
Bar on the roof open until 3h But not owned by the hotel (don't forget your money)

Room Tip: Ask double bed if your are in couple and view not on the road.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Djolf
Amador R, General Manager at Ribera de Triana Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Djolf,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I’m sorry if the room we provided you with wasn’t 100% of your taste. Should you decide to come to Seville and stay at our hotel please just drop us a line a call at the moment of the reservation. We will make sure the best room with double bed will be available for you.

Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

I am a regular visitor to Seville and tend to stay in the west of the city. This was my first stay at Ribera de Triana and I was impressed. It's easily accessed by public transport as it's very near to the final stop (Plaza de Armas Bus Station) on the bus route from the airport.

Check in was hassle free. Public areas in the hotel are impressive. A large atrium runs from the basement to roof level and this gives a real sense of space.

My room was quite large with a king size bed and modern furnishing. Wifi was free.

The Triana neighbourhood where the hotel is located is about 20 minutes walk from the centre of the city. There are lots of bars and restaurants in Triana and the area is less touristy than the centre of town.

I did not take breakfast or other meals at the hotel, so can't comment on food.

I can see myself staying here on my next visit to Seville. It's a better option than the nearby NH Plaza de Armas

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank TrevD
Dear TrevD,

Thank you for the positive feedback. I’m happy to read you are considering to come back at Ribera de Triana. Look forward to welcome you.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed here for one night on our recent visit to Seville. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful on checkin and throughout our stay I parked my car in the underground car park for a daily charge of 16 euro. Let me add that this is not an exercise for the fainthearted as it's quite narrow and the exit involves a hill start while you await the gate to be opened!

Our room was a good size, nicely decorated and clean and the twin beds were very comfortable with storage space underneath for our overnight cases. The bathroom was also very clean with ample towels and toiletries. We were easily able to control the room temperature with the air-con thermostat.

Our room rate included a buffet breakfast which included hot food (eggs, bacon, sausages) and a good variety of cereals, cheeses, cold meats, bread, cakes etc. I have to mention that one of the waitresses was a bit sullen while clearing our table but possibly it was the early hour that didn't suit her!

The hotel is about a 20/25 minute walk from the old town center and we also found that the green tour bus had a stop right outside which will eventually deliver you to it's terminus near the maritime museum along the river which is then close to the center.

We would definitely stay there again if the need arose.

Room Tip: We had a standard room on the first near the side alley and it was very quite.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sconlon11
Dear sconlon11,

Thank you very much for such a good and detailed feedback. Great to know that the room was of your taste and you liked the facilities.

Look forward to welcome you back at Ribera de Triana.

Valencia, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

Good value for a great location. It is on hop on hop off bus although I don’t recommend that. It does give you the facility to get into the city easily. However a 10 minute walk gets you over the river. Varied restaurants, bars and wonderful food market all in walking distance.

Room Tip: River view
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank AnnetteinSpain2013
Dear AnnetteinSpain2013,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.

Havertown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

This hotel was about a 10 minute walk to the heart of Sevilla. Overall we enjoyed our stay. It was an extremely good value and we had a lovely view of the river from our room. The room was cleaned, well maintained, and had a great bathroom. A few things I'd like to mention: the air conditioning unit literally sounded like there was someone vacuuming next door - so much so that when we first arrived I made the comment to my husband that they're really vacuuming a lot! Then we realized that it was the air conditioning unit making all of the noise. It was quite annoying, although it did not keep me up at night. Also, I was a little disappointed when we got to Spain and realized that our outlet adapters were not compatible in Spain. When we arrived in Sevilla, I asked the front desk staff if they had one that we could use. They did not. I felt like this was something that they should have readily available! So I was a little disappointed in that. But we were able to find one around the corner at a hardware store for a little over 1 euro. Problem solved.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel. I would definitely stay again, especially because it is such good quality for the money.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah D
Dear Sarah D,

I really liked your title “Great quiet hotel minutes from Sevilla” . It is great to know that you are willing to come back to our hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed in May, weather fab, the hotel was lovely in a very nice location by the river. Our room was very nice,comfortable and immaculate. There was no kettle in the room but I always have a travel one. Reception was helpful and professional. The pool is very small,but what a setting on the roof with a lovely view of the river. The bar on the roof was lovely for relaxing, very modern. Triana is a very nice location and has a very local feel even though you are only a ten minute walk into the centre. I was very pleased with our choice as I was worried that I should have stayed in the centre for convenience. The air conditioning was very good. There are three cafe bars opposite the hotel for a very reasonable breakfast and drinks in the evening.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank Dinny F
Dear Dinny F,

Great you a “great weekend break” in Seville and at our hotel. Indeed Triana is an incredible neighborhood, part of the essence of Seville.

Look forward to welcome you back in Seville.

Best regards