“Nice and well located”
Review of Espacio Azahar

Espacio Azahar
Ranked #77 of 177 Hotels in Seville
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Was on a short term stay here in early May. It was quick and easy to be reached from the bus station by tram, a lot of sightseeings are located in a walking distance. Small but pretty room. For a couple of nights stay the hotel is a reasonable choice. Liked the interior and the location most.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Espacio Azahar

Reviewed January 4, 2014

The location is in the center of Sevilla. We came by car and were informed by email about the parking facilities. There arenone and the streets are very small. We parked our car outside the center (for free). We had a small room in the rear area next to the elevator. We could barely sleep. The walls are very thin. If your neighbours are having a shower, it seems like they are using your bathroom. Some people were having fun in the room at 1.30 am and it seems like we were in the middle of an earthquake. So if you want to enjoy your rest you had better pick another place.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jeroen W
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the excellent reviews. The fact that I was disappointed by the hotel was entirely my fault and I should have paid more attention to the two star rating. I have learned a lesson - I will avoid two star hotels. Let me start by saying that my husband and I have travelled extensively since we retired five years ago. We look for hotels with character usually with a three or four star rating. I mention this because I realize that one persons "great hotel" can be another person's "basic accommodation".

We arrived at the hotel on a rainy night. The taxi was not able to drop us outside because the road was up due to sewer repairs. My first impression of the hotel was "uh, uh, this wasn't quiet what I was expecting" but we had one of the warmest greetings of any hotel I have stayed at. The young man suggested restaurants and nearby sights. The room however, was so tiny there was barely room for the double bed and the bathroom was like a tiny closet. The room also looked out onto a small courtyard which meant you had to keep the drapes closed or people would see into the room. This left us with a very tiny dark room. If we had been staying just one night I might have settled for it, but we were there for three nights. I went downstairs to ask if there was another room and was told that this was the only room available. The young man immediately said that if we didn't like the room he wouldn't hold us to our 3 night booking and he even suggested another three star hotel around the corner. He also then remembered that he had a very large room on the top floor available for one night only and we stayed there at no additional charge for the one night.

Please do not be put off this hotel by my review.The location is great and the hotel is exceptionally clean but the furniture is shabby (old not antique) and there are no fluffy white duvets or towels in sight. It is after all a two star hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid courtyard facing rooms
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank FloridaGirl2012
Reviewed October 28, 2013

If you want to stay in a hotel that is right next to all the touristy restaurants/sights, this place is not for you. However, if you want a hotel that is in a neighborhood with restaurants/cafes that are frequented by locals and only a 20 minute walk to the "must see" sightseeing places, then you've found a good place to call home. It is a family run place, and Juan and David (the sons of the owners) are usually working the reception desk though you may see their parents from time to time as well. It's just a 5 minute walk to the Alameda de Hercules, a wide, leafy street with lots of cafes and restaurants lining both sides.

My friend and I were here to take a week of Flamenco lessons and as soon as Juan found out about this he immediately started looking up all kinds of flamenco related activities. In fact, one of the performances that he recommended we see, a combination of ballet and flamenco at the Teatro Central, turned out to be the highlight of our trip.

We also discovered that two of the best tapas bars in Seville, Azotea and Escalva, were right by our hotel and we ate at both of them several times in order to try as much as we could on the menus. Not cheap, and not traditional tapas (no albondigas, no gambas al ajillo, etc.), but absolutely delicious, inventive Spanish tapas and frequented by mostly locals. And the wine was out of this world as well.

The only challenge we had is that the street the hotel is located on is currently having work done on the sewer line, so the pavement was torn up and we had to be careful as we navigated the sidewalks which were strewn with dirt and brokn chunks of pavement.

Muchisimas gracias a Juan, David, y sus padres para una visita inolvidable!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed October 27, 2013

First impressions were that the hotel was a little difficult to find, and it's down a narrowish street on the north side of the main sights in Seville. However, when we found the hotel, we were greeted very warmly by the host, who made us feel very welcome with a coffee and some excellent tips on sights to see and tapas bars to eat. These all turned out to be great recommendations (for reference, recommended tapas bars were Dos de Mayo, Casa Paco and Los Coloniales, all of which were frequented mainly by locals, and provided excellent dishes at excellent value).

The hotel itself reminded me of a Moroccan riad, with a central courtyard, and rooms on all floors surrounding the courtyard; and also an excellent roof terrace with enough shade to keep cool in the Seville sun.

The hotel offered breakfast for a reasonable price, but we decided to eat breakfast at one of many nearby bars/cafés, which was probably a bit cheaper overall.

It's probably a 20 minute walk to the cathedral and Alcazar, but after churros and chocolate for breakfast, a 20 minute walk is a great idea!

Excellent place to stay, highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Martyn F
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We were charmed from the moment we walked in through the front door. Firstly by the receptionist (Juan, I think), who practised his excellent English on us while pointing out Seville's best sights on the map, and printing us out a list of 'must-try' tapas. Then by the North African-inspired design and decor, and finally by our room.

We had a Junior Suite. It was huge, spotless, looked out over the hotel's central atrium and Seville's rooftops, and its furnishings included a hot tub and a palm tree. What more could you want?

I have only one regret about our stay here: we didn't make full use of the hotel's stunning rooftop terrace - scattered with sofas, lanterns and hanging chairs, on two levels, big enough for a party - Juan did say that if we wanted a Mojito up there we only had to ask, and I wish we had.

Seville is a giddy, seductive, bucket-list sort of place. I look forward to returning, and I know exactly where to stay when I do.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ajrduff
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I truly enjoyed my 3 night stay here in early October. The staff, particularly, David and Juan, were brilliant. Making my stay in Sevilla the highllight of Spain. David for letting me know of the best places to go. Especially the Bodega Dos de Mayo, only 2 minutes walk away. A must, if your in Sevilla. And Juan for helping me with tickets to see Sevilla FC play and finding a laundry service for me in an instant and at a great price. Pick up and delivered.
The hotel itself is spotless and inviting. The room, whilst small, was clean and tasteful. Breakfast was good, with most needs catered for. Although, it was not always stocked. Perhaps they could look at that. Rather than heading out the market and stocking on the run. The roof top terrace was delightful, especially on a warm evening.
My only two real criticism was the WiFi, which was totally unusable in my room. Needed to go down to the lobby area for it to be usable. And the other, was that I found the central atrium area was like a large echo chamber. Even the smallest whsiper downstairs, echoed up to my room like a roar. My room was off the main atrium, but people quietly chatting on the stairwell was crystal clear. And below my room, the evening staff, were partaking in thier supper, quietly. But, it was as clear as a bell into my room. .
I was bothered by this, perhaps particular to my rooms unusual placement? But other than these, I would certainly recommend Azahar. Its location was great, despite roadworks on the street, which meant a short walk from my taxi drop off. But that is not Azahar's problem, totally outside thier control. And the staff, certainly made up for any problems I encountered.

Room Tip: I would avoid room #01 in the rear atrium area. Like an echo chamber for myself. not 101 0r 201, it...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo