“Beautiful Trip, Never to be forgotten!”
Review of Alminar Hotel

Alminar Hotel
Ranked #18 of 175 Hotels in Seville
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Trip, Never to be forgotten!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We had an amazing stay at Alminar Hotel, the staff were so welcoming and friendly (Francisco's knowledge and kindness will guide anyone around the city!). The location, nestled away, was perfect for all the attractions and beautiful sights. Only a stones throw away from the main square! Seville is a lovely city, with beautiful food and drink,and this hotel only further compliments the spanish lifestyle!

I would go back to Alminar in a heart beat, thank you so much for having us!

Room Tip: The hotel has a beautiful room with a roof terrance!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Great location with views of Giralda Tower and a short walk to the Cathedral and Alcazar Palace. We booked the cheapest double room and were upgraded to one of the best rooms in the hotel since it was available. We had access to a terrace and wonderful views. The bathroom was modern with glass mosaic tiles and immaculate. The reception staff was pleasant and helpful.
It's a little expensive for a small hotel but well worth the small splurge because you get a boutique hotel experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is the first time I have felt disappointed being guided by Tripadvisor. I always read a broad selection of TA reviews to gauge what appear to be the genuine pros and cons of a hotel and take with a pinch of salt the reviews that appear unnecessarily picky. On a second trip to Seville I felt confident to go ahead based on TA reviews to book one night at 155 euros in a superior room with terrace in the Alminar. What a disappointment! I've stayed all over Andalusia for almost half this price in far better rooms. It lacked any charm whatsoever. The room was in a scruffy out building at the top of the hotel; the bed had no headboard with dull worn out looking bedding; the furniture was a scruffy, chipped mish mash. There were mouldy looking tiles in an unappealing bathroom and we had to go out with dirty hair as the shower kept going too scalding hot to put your head under it. Seville is a fantastic lively city and we revelled in it but we didn't want to hear street noise in our room until the early hours which was the case here. The only reason I give this hotel two stars is one for location and one for staff efficiency at check in/out. I've never written a negative review as I have always been so well directed by Trip Advisor but at 155 euro I would not like somebody else to be as disappointed as we were. I can only assume some of the other rooms represent good value for money otherwise I am baffled at how this hotel is receiving positive reviews. On a trip to Seville last year we enjoyed the beautiful Alma Sevilla Palacios de Villapanes for the same price we paid at the Alminar. We ended up staying longer in Seville than planned on our trip this year and at short notice stayed at the Becquer and the Silken Andalusia, both of which I would recommend.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonMandD
FranciscoAlminar, Manager at Alminar Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear LondonMandD,

First of all, I am so sorry that your night with us was so disappointing...always very sad for me to hear such a thing. But, of course, I must clarify a couple of things which, in my opinion, apply to the case.

For what you say, I think your style of hotel might be more a Chain 4 or 5-star hotel type more than a 3-star family run inn like ours. Our location, you are right, and our attention to our clients ( which I am glad were satisfactory ) may suggest we are more than that but we are a 3-star only. The price you had for 1 of our Superior rooms with terrace overlooking the Cathedral for 1 night ( one night only ) was 155 Euros. May is High Season and you will not find a room at the Alma Hotel for less than 250 euros ( March, when you stayed there, is a different story ) so you are comparing different seasons which is not right. I am sorry that you disliked our decoration ( including having no bedhead ) but that is perfectly public in our web and in so many pictures taken and published by previous guests in Trip Advisor. I must add that our furniture and bathrooms are perfectly clean and in order if not totally new. Finally, I must add that we have never ever had a complaint about street noise in a room which is on a 4th floor. Our windows are triple-glazed and our street is pedestrian. I am genuinely surprised by this but noise is a question of perception, I suppose.

Again sorry that your stay with us was not satisfactory for you but thank you for writing your review, anyway, because you can be sure we will take your comments as a motivation to improve our hotel and services within our possibilities.

Yours sincerely, Francisco Naranjo, Manager.
Adelaide
Reviewed July 4, 2012

The location of the hotel is by far it's main asset. It is close to the Giralda, the alcazar, main shopping streets etc. For note, the hotel is down a small cobblestoned street so if you come by taxi, it cannot take you to the front door (but the walk is not far).
There are also many great restaurants within walking distance.
As mentioned by others the rooms are tired and dark but are clean. The advertsement of each room having a balcony is a little misleading for the lower level rooms as you cannot actually step out onto it.
They provide a lovely touch with a couple of free drinks in the fridge. The wifi is also free in the rooms, but did freeze up quite a bit.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and spoke English.
I would definitely consider coming back to this hotel.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Amsterdam
Reviewed June 23, 2012

The staff and management went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and welcomed. The location is fantastic, close to most everything. I walked in from the train station (have a good map) and was parched. It was a warm day. I was delighted that Alminar gives you a starter for free in your minibar (a Fanta and water). It was a nice touch and a welcome one!

The staff is willing to help anyway they can. Being typical American, I am not well versed in any other language but English. But the staff spoke quickly changed from Spanish to English perfectly when they heard me butchering their native language. Gracias.

If you're in Seville, which I highly recommend, stay at the Alminar. You won't regret it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Really not sure about this hotel… after perusing Trip Advisor, we chose it mainly for the good reviews and the location, as we like being in the heart of things and prefer smaller, one-off establishments where possible, rather than big chain hotels. Plus the price was very reasonable for central Seville. Overall though, we were left slightly disappointed.

To be fair to the hotel, I should point out upfront that we were travelling through Spain with another couple who were on a more limited budget than us, so we booked hotels that were a bit cheaper than we’d normally choose for ourselves. Left to our own devices, we’d generally go for a 4-star minimum, so perhaps our disappointment was inevitable. Having said that, we had already stayed in four other lovely 3-star hotels/guesthouses in Andalucia before arriving in Seville, and we enjoyed them all more than we did this one.

Location is self-evidently the best thing about the Alminar, fantastically close to the centre and the main attractions, oodles of bars and restaurants on the doorstep, can’t fault that aspect. The difficulty of finding the hotel/parking didn’t bother us at all (as it did some other reviewers) in fact we were expecting a bit of an adventure from our research – you can’t really expect to stay in the historic quarter of any Andalucian town/city and be able to drive up to the door and park with no hassle, it’s just the way things are, and the compromise you have to make for being centrally located!

Apart from location, first impressions aren’t exactly wonderful. The hotel Reception unfortunately put me in mind of a ticket booth at a small provincial cinema or theatre – you walk through the front door off the quaint/buzzy pedestrian-only street, into a narrow corridor, then immediately on your right is the tiny reception desk. The lobby area just beyond is also very cramped and uninspiring – it’s a single small table with 4 chairs, right next to the elevator and the coffee machine (there are no drink-making facilities in the room, guests have to come down to the lobby for tea/coffee, which is free at least). There is a pleasant-enough little alcove off to the left where breakfast is served. But no bar, nor any designated space to sit around and relax after sight-seeing. Reminded me a little of a Youth Hostel. Staff were perfectly nice, friendly and helpful though, and everything front–of-house was clean and tidy.

The rooms themselves were, as a few reviews have pointed out, distinctly charmless - a bit dark and gloomy and completely lacking in any design touches that might have made them feel part of the historic exterior of the building. Once inside the room, you honestly could be anywhere in the world. Clean, but quite cheaply and generically decorated, a few obvious signs of wear and tear, not especially spacious, no ‘character’ at all. Bathrooms were likewise clean but small, basic and unremarkable.

We booked the two top floor “terrace” rooms, the best available in the hotel, and were not hugely impressed I’m afraid. There is indeed a view of the Cathedral and Giralda from the terrace, albeit craning your neck around the intervening TV aerials and air-conditioning units situated on neighbouring buildings. It’s a shared, not private, space – the terrace also serves as a walkway for the people in the room next door, since both the top floor rooms open directly off the terrace. Also the maids use one end of the terrace (albeit semi-partitioned-off from the part where the rooms are) for storing their cleaning equipment, which further lessened any feeling of privacy/exclusivity. The terrace area itself was not up to much - rusting metal table and chairs, no attempt to make it pretty with flowers/candles/plant pots, etc, think they’re really missing a trick here, it could be made SO much nicer with a bit of low-cost effort/imagination. Think less “beautiful roof terrace” and more “slightly down-at-heel outside area”. Better than nothing I guess.

I personally would not choose to stay here again. There’s absolutely no ‘wow’ factor apart from the location (which is what the hotel is all about, really). You’d have to pay at least 50 euros more per night for something in a similar location but with better décor/facilities/service/atmosphere…. and when we visit Seville again, that’s exactly what we’ll be doing. Would only recommend the Alminar if you’re on a tight budget but still want to be somewhere very central, and are prepared to put up with decidedly mediocre accommodations as the trade-off.

Room Tip: Top floor terrace rooms aren't what I'd call a treat, but better than rooms without one!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank magnoliiatree
Toronto
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Short visit, so we needed to be in the centre of all the attractions, and we were. From this hotel it was a very very short walk to all the sites. You can not cab right to the front door since it is on a pedestrian walkway, but both ends of the walkway are a short walk to the hotel door. The gentlemen that were at the front desk were both extremely helpful with their suggestions and explanations of what to see and how to get there. The room was very charming,and very clean.
The view is of other buildings but they all had lovely railings and flowers to look onto.
Note it is on a pedestrian walk thru, so you might hear some late night noise but we were not bothered with this. There are loads of restaurants in the area to choose from.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends