“An Enjoyable Museum”

Ranked #45 of 294 things to do in Seville
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Andalucía’s most important archaeological collection, housed in a pavilion in Maria Luisa Park, charts everything from the Neolithic age, through the Roman occupation to the time of the Moors. The stand-outs are a statuette of Astarte-Tanit, a Phoenician fertility goddess who held the Mediterranean in thrall around the 8th-century BC, and the Carambolo Treasures, a stunning hoard of gold jewelry from the 6th century which shows clear Oriental influence--and may leave you musing about the people who lived in Andalucía 1500 years ago. Closed on Mondays.
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I like this museum because I enjoy seeing Roman remains and statues and this museum has plenty of these items. I always learn something new when I visit the museum. I especially like the mosaic floors that I find here, having the best examples from the province. The Roman sculptures are also very good to see.

There are newer reviews for Archaeological Museum of Sevilla

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We're not experts in the topic, so this might be totally off the mark: we thought this museum was just the right size, and well organised. It exhibits a compact selection of artefacts from the region, that present an easy-to-grasp history of Andalucia from prehistory up to the reconquest. We felt it was an hour well spent, and the walk getting there was pleasant, through Maria Luiza Park and past the Plaza de Espana.

Not all the exhibits were labelled in English, and we had no Spanish whatsoever. But there's enough labels and commentary in English to get pretty much all of the history that we felt we needed to know.

One point, though: our teenaged girls switched off about halfway through, and stayed on only to humour us.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

The museum actually occupies only a small section of the magnificent building in Plaza de America in which it is housed, (another 1929 Exhibition building) although some of the exhibits are excellent and we particularly enjoyed the mosaics and Roman artifacts, many of which were brought here from the nearby Roman city of Italica.

I think we were only here for around 45 minutes.

Entry is free to EU citizens, as it is in the nearby Museum of Popular Arts And Traditions

Even if you do not go inside, enjoy the location, flowers, plants, waterlilies etc which form part of the plaza.

3  Thank edinburgher2
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We were the first people in and so it was very quiet. Had a great time looking at all the local archaeological finds - a lot of it is.

1  Thank Ali T
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I'll be honest with you, I was walking around Maria Luisa Park and very hot when I stumbled with this museum and decided to enter. I was pleasantly surprised. The museum housed a very interesting collection of pre-historic, Phoenician and Roman artifacts found in the area of Seville. Very impressive sculptures and pottery. Do not miss it!

3  Thank Icventure