“Okay for very small budget”
Review of Hostal Lis

Hostal Lis
Ranked #163 of 175 Hotels in Seville
Somwhere
“Okay for very small budget”
Reviewed October 24, 2010

If you need to travel on small budget the hostal might be okay - but I'm sure there are better ones in Seville. The rooms are very small, not actually clean and quite noisy. The receptionist didn't leave a sympathetic impression on us either. We wanted to stay longer but decided to change the accommodation as soon as possible!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jam5Somewhere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, USA
Reviewed February 26, 2010

I found this hotel in a websearch of places to stay in Seville. The website was fantastic and the prices could not be beat. I e-mailed a request for a 4-day reservation. While not particularly genial, the respondent confirmed my reservation for the dates I had listed. I was told they only had doubles available at 25€/night, but I was fine with that - it was still far cheaper than anything else I had seen.

Well, let me tell you, the taxi driver had no idea where this place was - he gave me a pitiful look when we finally found the plaza that leads to the dingy pedestrian alley where this place is located. Let´s just say that grafitti was a little more prevalent here than in other parts of town. When I got to the hotel, the reception guy (who seemed to barely speak English, even though the website assures they do!) had no listing for me whatsoever. When I produced copies of my e-mails, he promptly found me a room.

The room was disgusting. For 25€/night, I could have bribed a clean room from a local off the street. The bedspread had stains, there was hair on the linens, there was no hot water, and the ¨window¨ opened out over the dingy pedestrian walkway with no screens. The stink of must and damp, combined with the jerry-rigged, flourescent light fixtures drove me out of there as fast as I could go. I have looked again at the pictures of the rooms on the website and I find it hard to believe that any of them look that nice - the light fixtures and bedspreads look far newer and nicer than anything I saw in the entire place. Even reception was dark, musty and unwelcoming.

Whomever owns this place is robbing people and partaking in false advertising. Absolutely STAY AWAY from this place!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Seville hotels

Gloucester, UK
Reviewed December 20, 2009

The first room we were allocated, wasn't a room at all - it was a cupboard, with a window onto the upstairs corridoor. We were moved to a downstairs room which was better, but both rooms were pretty damp and dark. Bathroom was tiny and very basic. The decor is interesting though, and the satff were helpful. If I was 20 years younger I might have enjoyed it! We moved to another hotel the next day which was still a good location, but much better value for money

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
nyc
Reviewed November 4, 2009

For a family of 4 on a budget this was perfect. We were lodged in a compact room with a tiny bathroom. It was decorated with authentic andalucian tile, with wooden beams across the high ceilings. The experience of showering was difficult without leaving most of the water on the bathroom floor, but luckily there were plenty of towels to soak up the mess. It was noisy since we were on the first floor with windows that could never really be opened wide. No natural light in that room but it was cozy. The hotel has free internet though only from 9- 11pm

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Toronto
Reviewed October 25, 2009

this is a restored 200 year old home. they have their own website just google it. lots of charm with tilework. all the rooms face the courtyard which can be quite noisy at night. there was a large group staying when i was there and they were very noise every night when they came back having a sing a long and banging doors. the rooms are very nice, no tv though but they have ceiling fans to keep the rooms cool. free internet in the reception area. walking distance to all the major sights and 15 min walk to the main train station. bit of a stench from the drains in the shower. also a rooftop patio

Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Boston, USA
Reviewed December 2, 2008

Our stay was soo bad that it was funny. Part of this was likely bad luck, but I wouldn't want to test this theory (we are never going back). We planned to stay a few nights, but moved out after only a few hours.

The Bad:
1. Entrance was inaccessible by cab (so we were dropped with luggage on a busy street and directed into a dark ally)
2. Once we found the entrance it was perfumed by day old urine (Hostal Pis?)
3. Our room was right next to the sweet smelling entrance, which was also right off the reception area (this added great sounds of people coming and going all night and the TV sounds from the reception to the experience)
4. There were smashed mosquitos on the walls with blood smears from their last meals
5. The Sheet check revealed hair in the first bed: there were three beds and the first one we checked was either slept in or their cleaning staff was having a bad hair day
6. Room smelled like an ashtray, when the bathroom door was closed
7. Room smelled like sewer, when the bathroom door was open
8. Floors were dirty (cirgarette but, wrapper, and lighter from previous tenants was on floor next to window).
9. Shower curtains were moldy
10. It was cold - window shutters had big gaps in them and there wasn't any glass
11. It felt like someone was trying to asphyxiate in the morning (at ~8AM the painters started outside our window and we woke up to paint thiner fumes and scrapping sounds)
12. We had itchy bites in strange places the day after (it was either psychosomatic or that place has bed bugs)
13. Aware of our discomfort they didn't offer a discount or a free stay (we didn't push it)

The good:
1. There was free wireless that made it easy to find another place to go: found a place on hotels.com for the same price a few blocks away -- b/c it was off season they gave us a the penthouse suite and let us check in before noon (Best Western Hotel Cervantes)
2. It was so bad that we had a really good laugh

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
on the move
Reviewed July 20, 2008

We had a great time at Hostal Lis. An atmospheric place full of tiling and plants. The room was clean and the service pleasant. Hostal Lis is located on a quiet alley off the tree lined Plaza Cristo de Burgos, and close to the Plaza Alfalfa tapas and nightlife

• Liked — location, design
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AdventureFood