“Nice Quiet Spot”
Review of Hostal Lis

Hostal Lis
Ranked #166 of 177 Hotels in Seville
Reviewed July 20, 2008

We had a great time at Hostal Lis. An atmospheric place full of tiling and plants. The room was clean and the service pleasant. Hostal Lis is located on a quiet alley off the tree lined Plaza Cristo de Burgos, and close to the Plaza Alfalfa tapas and nightlife

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AdventureFood

Reviewed May 9, 2008

Cheap..clean and very traditional..my girlfirend and me were in a room in march.. the people and services (wifi) were very useful..i like their "azulejos".. very interesting..this is and ancient house although have many modern services (wifi..vending machines air conditioning solarium) i like it.

We will return to seville and Hostal Lis in september.

Giorgio Consigliere

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2008

Hostal Lis is a pathetic excuse for a hotel. It was filthy, with stains on the bedsheets, floors, ceilings and shower curtain. The room I was given had a room with rumpled sheets as though someone had just slept in it. The doors do not lock. The lighting is dim - something out of a horror film. There are no glass panes in the windows - just a hole in the wall - so that you hear everything from the street below and the cold night air can't be shut out. To add insult to injury, the staff was phenomenally surly, rude, gave their country a bad name. Do NOT stay here!!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank voyageuse23
Reviewed October 5, 2007

Having read the positive reviews of this hostal, we booked two nights. What a mistake. Noisy location on a very busy street but good central location is probably the only positive thing I can say about this tourist trap. The staff were rude, not able to offer the slightest assistance, and made a snide remark when we complained that there was no hotwater in our room. Very expensive, considering the cramped and musty rooms, which need a very thorough clean and airing out. Would not reccomend to anyone, unless they halved their rates and then I would reccomend it too backpackers.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank marrenLondon
A TripAdvisor Member
London, England
Reviewed May 31, 2006

Pored over the reviews here, but found many of my choices were fully booked 3 weeks in advance. Eventually emailed Hostal Lis, who emailed back confirmation next day.

THE HOSTAL
We stayed in Room F - which is on the top (2nd floor) up some steep stairs. It was a simple but attractive and very clean room, with a double bed, wardrobe, desk, 2 chairs, electric fan, 1 outside and one interior window and an ensuite shower/toilet/sink. Towels, soap and shampoo were provided. I thought this was great value for 48 Euros per night - simple but clean and attractive. They used local coloured tiles on the walls, which was nicer than plain. I preferred this over being downstairs as it was quieter and more private. The staff were friendly and helpful, and spoke a bit of English. They do not accept credit cards, so my card details were taken to reserve the booking, and then we paid cash on departure.

THE AREA
The surroundings were not especially nice, as you enter the hotel from a dingy alleyway that always smelt a bit... but that really didn't matter. The area felt residential and safe, there were other tourists and locals around. The square behind the hotel is a bus terminus, and taxi rank - and it was about a 30 minute walk into the centre of the city. There are local amenities such as cafes, bars, cashpoint, supermarket, pharmacy within a few minutes walk - although they are more 'local and servicable' than destinations. When we visited there were building works, they are constructing a metro in the city, so it was quite dusty and there seemed to be explosions going on at times...! But I live in inner London, so it was normal for me, and they were during the daytime anyway. Overall I thought this was a reasonable location, and it cost about 1 Euro on the bus or 5 Euros in a cab into the centre of the city.

THE CITY
My impressions were that the city is a mixture of the beautiful, historical centre and the rather ugly and run down suburbs. The Alcazar was great and we spent a good two hours there exploring the gardens. Would have stayed longer if it had been sunny. We went to the touristy but fun Flamenco show at the Andaluz Palace - I'd like to know where other people rate for Flamenco? I missed out on the Arab Baths - they looked fantastic, but we hadn't pre-booked. You go for one and a half hours in sessions that are at two hour intervals, and can have treatments like Choco-therapy! The food and bars were great, although I didn't manage to find any live music places - maybe they were hidden away in the side streets - then again I was there monday, tuesday, wednesday nights when the nightlife was quieter.

I really reccomend Seville as a place to visit, overall.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 14, 2005

I stayed here for half a day last month in Seville since it was in Lonely Plant and their website looked decent and it was cheap. And it may be decent as well. The problem was the owners put me in a single room on the ground floor right next to the reception area. Due to the flimsy door you can hear the TV and conversations from the reception area as if they were right next to your bed. The room was also dank and smelled like urine. I tried to bear it, but I couldn't so I got the heck out and went back to Hostal Alameda, which is further but far better in my opinion.

• Stayed: November 2005
4  Thank fiveupstove
A TripAdvisor Member
Bilbao
Reviewed May 17, 2005

We have visited Seville in February 2005. We have reserved a room in the Hostal Lis recommended by some friends that were there the last summer. There is free internet access, there is small but useful solarium. Every day they fixed us the bed and they changed us the towels. All that with a cheap price. People of the reception are kind, responding with a lot of interest to our questions. We recommend this central hostal to all people searching a nice stay en Sevile.

• Stayed: February 2005