“sweet hotel but fair facility” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Zaida

Hotel Zaida
Ranked #20 of 179 Hotels in Seville
Kunming, China
“sweet hotel but fair facility”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

the hotel itself is quite sweet, but in my room the remote control doesn't work, and also the air conditioner doesn't work very well, so it's quite warm and not so fresh in the room.
There's only a little window in my room, and out side are three walls which build a 1m3 space. So i could not open the window to get fresh air either.
The location is quite ok and stuff are friendly and willing to help. There's free wifi in the room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Cesena, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

25 € for a single ensuite ( n. 125, small bathroom but with bidet) in January 2012 was the reason I chose this hotel. It's not far from the main sights; to get there from the Airport: Bus AE to the terminus at Plaza Nueva, then 300 m. on foot.

Very noisy at night, you hear everything from the street below. If you're not full of Fino (wine) you'll need earplugs to sleep.

Heater is old and also noisy, with multiple switches high on the wall. The shower is in the bathtub. There's a TV but can't comment on that because I didn't even turn it on.

All that said, I would come back anyway, for the price...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Worthing, West Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

Beautiful entrance hall with lots of character. Staff were very friendly and helpful. I booked a single room and asked for a quiet one. I was given a twin bedded room on the ground floor which was spacious and very quiet. All basic facilities were in the room as well as a bathroom with a bath! The room was clean. The location was brilliant, walking distance of all the main sights. I would highly recommend as very good value for money. This is a no frills 1 star hotel and if you want to experience Spanish life stay here, if not please go to Brighton or Blackpool!!!

Room Tip: As for a room at the back and then you will have no traffic noise, although it is a very quiet road.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeanne9932
Bengaluru, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

good: nothing really (except maybe the hostel owner who paid for our taxi)

the ugly: We had a 2 night booking ,, since we were arriving early morning around 0400 I had got the booking confirmed a couple of days before again by the hotel...we were assured no problems...

On reaching there around 0430 we were told hotel was overbooked,,and were told to find our way to another hotel near by,, the reception guy just phoned the other hotel asking him to expect us,, when we asked for transport he just shrugged sayin he couldnt get one,, and since hotel was a 5 min walk we should just walk over with out luggage,,,

when we got angry and argued he called a taxi (and he expected us to pay for the taxi) and said he was sending us to a 3 star hotel much better than zaida..we ended up getting a shack on the roof of a hostel with glass walls all around covered by curtains..a small bathroom and a room that wasnt cleaned ... we checked out next day ..

We also came to know of at least one other couple who faced similar problems with the hotel during our trip.. so beware,,

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Atulwalia
Hove
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

For your money, in the centre of an historic city. This place is pretty reasonable.

The staff (particularly the Romanian guy on the front desk) were all really, really helpful and welcoming. Their English was good, which on the whole made our Spanish-language practice a bit difficult! The room we had was on the ground floor. It faced onto the lobby, and it faced out on to the road. The room was spacious and clean, and the air con was a godsend when it hit 37C!

The only advise I give, but this is is also for all hotels in general, is bring ear plugs. The one night I didn't use them, it was blardy noisy. Apart from that, it's a lovely, close to the centre, welcoming hotel with a truly local cafe opposite for breakfast (which happened to serve some of the best kick--- coffee and tstiest snacks we encountered in Spain).

If you get there late and you're new to the city, and you're hungry....turn left out of the hotel until you hit the small walkway and hang a right and go and eat at Pandos. It's a Seville chain I think, but the food is brilliant (veggie and non-veggie), and it'll save you wondering round for ages b4 you'r eso hungry you settle on a Macky Dees - or some other random nasty eatery...all of which are close by.

Reminder - take ear plugs - you'll love it.

Room Tip: Just buy ear plugs - you'll be fine in any of the rooms then. Also - it's 10-15 mins walk...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
barcelona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

This hotel is just horrible, noisy, stinky, dirty and old fashioned, however extremely cheap for its downtown location.
Everything makes noise, the rusty heater; the staff of the hotel early in the morning slamming doors; the guests at night and the people outside in the street. Besides the rooms contain dangerous decorations too, for example the lamps over the headboard of the bed, which are glass made; tiny windows (no natural light whatsoever)... Just try to book somewhere else! Don't go!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank barcelonaizmir
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

I was living in Malaga, Spain at the time for a homestay program and wanted to do a weekend trip. Because it was such a last minute trip, all the hostels I found online were booked out of single rooms and only had dormitory style (6 beds) available. I've stayed in co-ed hostel dorms before (oh you crazy New York City) but I was over that. I wanted to experience some of Sevilla, not experience loud dutch techno music at 3am or Australians blowing into didgeridoos for tips. Okay, terrible stereotypes, I know.

Moving on -

My roommate told me you could just walk around Sevilla and find a hostel 'easy' for lower rates than what I was finding online. But, I did not feel like having that adventure once I got in.

First impression - Hotel Zaida is in an alley, I didn't like that. The entrance is easy to walk by. The lobby is rustic and could be described as 'having old world charm'. My room was practically right behind the reception desk. It could have been the utility closet. There were no windows and it was a very small utilitarian room. There was a plain single dormitory style bed and a small TV. The bathtub had a broken stopper and I could hear everything going on in the next room. I could also hear people when they were congregating near the reception desk. I never saw any of the 'exotic Moroccan inspired' decor or even a staircase since I was on the first floor both nights. This was the second time in my life I was slightly scared of the blankets in the room (first time was in a random motel somewhere in the boondocks of West Virginia)

There is one computer but someone is always using it. I told the receptionist I needed to check something online for my itinerary and when it was clear to both of us the man using it wasn't going anywhere soon, the receptionist suggested I try later. Fair enough - AND MORE ON THIS LATER.

However, the 'hotel' is located in the right area and I could walk (there is also a trolley) to the main historic area with the church, restaurants, museums, and nightlife. The first receptionist recommended flamenco shows I could watch (expensive but worth it). And there is literature at the front desk to help you navigate the city. The first receptionist was extremely helpful which the only reason I would consider adding another star.

Also, I think it's a cultural thing but the Spanish family in the next room had a habit of leaving their door open and letting their children run in and out of the room into the lobby. It was very loud as the children were never told to quiet down by either the family or the staff. This didn't bother me a whole bunch considering how dumpy and hostel-like the 'hotel' was in general but it is something for you to keep in mind as apparently this is not an uncommon practice.

Finally, I had a terrible experience my last day at the hotel so I believe the other negative reviews of staff outright lying and otherwise being extremely unprofessional.

The morning before my usual adventuring, I checked my email and some timetables and locations for different sights in the city on the 1 computer that is always being used as it was actually free. As I'm using the computer, an old white Spaniard couple come out of a nearby room and walk to the reception area. I start hearing 'China, China, China' - like A LOT. I'm still checking my computer and I'm thinking, "Huh, that couple must be going to China next and are discussing their plans with the receptionist" because there was a new guy laughing and talking with them.

I was on the computer for all of 8 minutes, if that. And then I walked up to the reception to ask a question. That's when I realized the RECEPTIONIST and these old bags had been complaining about me and making fun of me for daring to use the computer for so long. 'China' is not a place, they were referring to me. I was SHOCKED. The old man and woman made a big show of how they could 'finally' use the computer and the old man even had the nerve to dramatically look down at his watch as if I'd been on for an hour. I'm used to ignorant people when I travel, but the fact the receptionist (who was a young black Francophone himself, hahaha) would engage in this kind of casual buffoonery pushed me over the edge.

So all in all, this is a really crappy HOSTEL with a rip off price. You can find a private room with your own bathroom that is MUCH nicer than the closet I got here with much better amenities in a similar or better location for LESS MONEY *in a hostel*. Seriously, hostels are NICER than this place and CHEAPER. I knew that theoretically going into this hotel from looking online and also my roommate's stories, but because I was pressed for time and the private rooms in hostels I was finding online were sold out, I shelled out extra money thinking a private bathroom in a HOTEL was worth it. I was SO dead wrong. I would have been much better off even in a shared room in a hostel.

Stayed September 2010, traveled solo