“lovely hotel”

Hospes Las Casas del Rey de Baeza Sevilla
Ranked #15 of 178 Hotels in Seville
Reviewed March 12, 2013

By husband and I recently stayed at this hotel March 2013, although the weather in seville was terrible the service at this central but quiet hotel was fantastic! The staff were so helpful and always friendly in a genuine manor. The rooms were as my mum would say ' so clean you could eat your food off them!' They held a small welcome party each evening with free drinks and each part of the hotel was relaxing and calm. Nothing seemed too much for any of the staff and i would certainly recommend this hotel and hope to visit again when the good weather returns! The only reason i dont give it a full 5 out of 5 is because i found our room fairly dark being on the internal courtyard side of the hotel and the terrible weather, but even so a great hotel and great city! Thankyou to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,045)

Reviewed March 11, 2013

The check in experience was terrific and we were made to feel welcome and to consult them at any time. The rooms were dark but I expected that given the location; they could be better lit in the evening. It is difficult to find through the maze of narrow streets but once there the car was looked after by the hotel. We had breakfast which was good but if staying longer would have gone out.

It is central and near all the tourist sights and Seville is a great place to explore. You will need a good map and just to be safe, a Google map on your cell. Plenty of places to eat from tapas bars to some better restaurants; we dined at El Gallinero de Sandra - reviewed separately.

On balance, a nice place and good value with helpful staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Received a very warm welcome from reception who were at great pains to provide us with an overview of sights worth seeing and access to them. Nothing appeared to be too much trouble. The situation of the hotel is, as remarked by other travellers, excellent. In a quiet square, it is nevertheless not far from Cathedral area, etc., The public areas are very pleasant. The staff are (to a man/woman) outstanding. Breakfast choices are varied and appetizing. Our room, overlooking the front square, was good, and there was not too much noise from passing traffic. The fact that the roof top terrace and pool were not open and we were not warned of this did not matter in late February. However, I would have been disappointed to find the same if we had visited in the summer months.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
HospesHotels, Director General at Hospes Las Casas del Rey de Baeza Sevilla, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for leaving your comments about Hospes at tripadvisoR.
It is important to have our guests opinions as we constantly strive to improve our service.

Regarding the terrace I just want to inform you that we are doing some renovations on it at this time of year because nobody uses it at the moment due to the temperature in Seville

All the best

Hotel Manager

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I would echo the sentiments of the other positive reviews that this hotel has received - excellent location, beautiful building, etc.

I would also add that I thought that the beds were extremely comfortable - contrary to what others have said.

I would, however, state two concerns:

1) there was no warning in advance of the fact that the pool and roof terrace area - a well advertised and extremely appealing part of the building- was not going to be available during my stay; and
2) a number of small items (e.g. headphones, other electronic equipment) mysteriously disappeared from the room. Whether the disappearances were due to lack of care is not clear, however it was disappointing to see that we had to chase up the search for these items a number of times.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

As far as I know, this hotel is the lowest-rated of the Hospes hotels in Spain. I'd say this is definitely a place to consider staying when you come to Seville. It also makes me consider staying at other Hospes locations next time in the country, if this is their lowest-rated facility. This was another in a series of older hotels we stayed in during our two-weeks in Spain and like all older hotels it has its quirks (you've read elsewhere about the lighting and the somewhat tired interiors) but it is beautiful with very nice public areas. It is also centrally located, no more than a 10-minute walk to the Cathedral, the Jewish Quarter, etc. The rooms may be a bit tired & the lighting poor, but our suites were ample with large living-, bath-, and bedrooms. With regard to price, I can only say that for a good hotel, in a good location in one of the most important tourist destinations in the country, this was priced appropriately, in my opinion.

Our two days & nights in Seville were augmented by our experience at the hotel. From check-in (quick & easy), to the valet (you don't need or want a car to move around Seville), and, most important, a well-informed staff with very good local recommendations. BTW, at check in, they gave us a glass of sangria & had us sit in the patio while they did the work. An extra star for that alone.

The suite we had was spacious, with three large rooms as already noted. We were on the first floor near the elevator, but there was no problem with noise as the bedroom was far away from the machinery. Admittedly, the suite seems to have helped here given other complaints about patio noise because our bedroom was not directly on the patio, either. The bathroom, with its open shower (at least in our room, our friends' room was different) was great. The rooftop pool may be small, but after a day of touring in the Andalusian sun, a welcome relief, & there was waiter service there as well. Take advantage of it. The public spaces were also very nice and a great place to relax and have a drink to get away from the heat.

The staff were very helpful with directions & restaurant suggestions. Try the pricey, but I think worth it, Abades Triana for the view & the food. (I have to admit that I do speak the language, which, according to my wife, seems to get you a little extra something with staff everywhere, so I may be more favorably disposed toward staffs in general than some other reviewers.) We did not eat breakfast at the hotel. Though the spreads are usually fantastic they are just too pricey in my opinion. Also, why not walk a few blocks to San Buenaventura & eat with sevillanos on their way to work?

I can only repeat what I said above, I think the hotel is well worth the cost for the building, the location, and the staff. Since I didn't experience any of this, you might want to take other people's suggestions with regard to room locations b/c of noise, etc., but again, I think this is a lovely place to stay. Try it, you may just want to extend your time in Seville.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Warwick Traveler
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The Hospes hotels are a chain of boutique hotels in Spain and France (something like the Kimpton chain in the US). We found the hotel staff to be very professional, friendly and helpful. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. The spa like bathroom was large and “out of this world”, with a nice size soaking tub with a rainfall shower head. The bed and mattresses we found to be very comfortable and we slept well for the two nights we stayed there.
I had read a review mentioning something about an individual’s room being noisy. I did not find this to be the case. Our room was quite. Because the hotel has open balconies facing a courtyard, of course you will hear some noise when people pass by. If you wanted a sound proof room, there are plenty of less charming, impersonal, sterile high rise hotel chains to choose from. But when you are staying in such a beautiful city such as Seville, it only made sense for us to stay in an equally beautiful and charming hotel as the Las Casas del Rey de Baeza. They even had baskets of fresh oranges, from some of the orange trees located in the courtyard.
The hotel was a short walk to all of the major attractions and there plenty of eating choices nearby. We did order room service one night and the food was excellent. All in all we had a great time there and would recommend this romantic hotel to anyone visiting Seville. This was one of the better hotels we had stayed at; a real “class act”.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott O
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This gorgeous hotel, with its pretty courtyard, is a real find. Unfortunately I was there for only one night, so unable to take advantage of the spa and pool. Beautiful setting, lovely friendly staff, and to top it all, a buffet breakfast heaving with goodies. I'll be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo