“A tour for those who don't like tours”

Azahar Sevilla Tapas Tour
Ranked #3 of 37 Food & Drink in Seville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This is the tapas tour you want to take if you don't want to feel like you are on a tour. I have been living in Sevilla for 23 years and have been running an internationally recognised food & wine website for 10 years. I am also a certified Sherry Educator. My tapas tours grew organically via the site, and I have been happily taking people out on “tapeos” for about 7 years. So join me to experience some of Sevilla’s best bars and enjoy an excellent selection of tapas & wines while learning about the art of bar-hopping, tapas etiquette, and the origins and history of tapas. Lunchtime or evening tapas tours last about 3.5 hours. Click on the website link to see other options available such as Market & Tapas, Flamenco & Tapas, Sherry & Tapas... it's all about the tapas!
Reviewed December 21, 2012

First, Shawn is lovely and has 20 years of experience to share. She gave us ideas of places to try as we continued on from Seville, checking in and making recommendations - so helpful and so caring. Second, the places were great - places we likely wouldn't have found on our own - and in all different styles and all different barrios. So, it was a great way to stroll the city, while asking questions, and taking in day to day life. No canned talks, no history lessons - Shawn would ask questions and then take it from there. Hostess is the perfect word. I eating experiences improved greatly after doing this. We plan to come back to Andalusia and will likely start in Seville, so we can do Shawn's tour first thing !

Shawn H, Owner at Azahar Sevilla Tapas Tour, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Great comments like this really make my day - thank you! I do try to create a "hostess and guest" feeling rather than a "tour guide and client" one, and that often ends up feeling like "old friends", which is lovely. Some days it really does feel like I have the best job in the world. Looking forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We visited Sevilla with my husband's family for his mum's 70th birthday. Our group ranged in age from 14 to 70, so finding things to do together and at the same pace was a bit tricky. We decided on the Gourmet Tapas Tour for our first full night in Sevilla and it was perfect! Shawn is a wonderful hostess and was able fit right in and cope with our family dynamics straight away! She really helped everyone be at ease and relax so we could enjoy. The palaces she took us to were wonderful and my sister-in-law went back to one of them four times while we were there!! I really recommend having a tour when you first arrive in Sevilla. Shawn will help you get your bearings and will have excellent recommendations for the rest of your stay. Thanks Shawn, you are a star!

Shawn H, Owner at Azahar Sevilla Tapas Tour, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Thank you, Ellen! That was definitely a fun night and it was great to see your mother in law enjoying her birthday tapas so much. Though I should probably point out the "auto correct" typo to my readers lest future guests are disappointed when I don't take them to palaces. ;-) I look forward to taking you and your husband on a Market & Tapas Tour next time you visit.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

My family and I went to Sevilla for a short weekend trip. I coordinated with Shawn for the Flamenco show and tapas tour, and we had an incredible evening. After linking up with Shawn in Plaza de los Reyes, she escorted us to the Flamenco museum where we had front row seats to a Flamenco show! The show lasted around an hour, and then she took us to our first tapas bar, which was a more traditional type. After eating a few tapas, she brought us to a more modern restaurant. Both restaurants had a superb selection, and we did not leave hungry! Her in-depth knowledge and love for Sevilla was evident as she explained everything from the different types of Flamenco dances to the choices of tapas at each restaurant. We all had a wonderful evening, and would definitely recommend this tour to anyone travelling to Sevilla.

Shawn H, Owner at Azahar Sevilla Tapas Tour, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thank you! The Flamenco & Tapas Tours are still quite new and so it's great to receive such a glowing review. I love doing them and enjoy being able to offer people a fun evening out that combines an excellent flamenco performance with a personalised tapeo. What could be better?

Reviewed November 14, 2012

While I didn't have the opportunity to actually take a tapas tour with Shawn, I wanted to write and say how impressed I was by how she dealt with a very difficult situation. Due to Hurricane Sandy, my flight from NYC was cancelled and I was not going to be able to make my tour with Shawn. I wrote to her, explained my situation and without hesitation she returned my full deposit immediately. Of all the vendors I contacted, tour guides, hotels etc, only shawn and one of my hotels offered me an unconditional refund. So even though I didn't get to enjoy one of her tours, I just wanted everyone to know that Shawn treated me so well. Thanks Shawn, when I can get to Seville, we will tour with you.

Shawn H, Manager at Azahar Sevilla Tapas Tour, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

First of all, thank you for taking the trouble to write this when you didn't even get to go on the tapas tour! Secondly, it's such a shame you didn't get more refunds - under the circumstances I can't imagine doing anything otherwise. A similar thing happened with someone whose holiday was ruined by the Icelandic volcano and my response was the same. My "non-refundable" deposit policy is just basic insurance that people will turn up. But of course there are circumstances beyond anybody's control. I always offer to reschedule a tapas tour if flights have been delayed or if there has been some problem. In your case I just felt so bad that your whole holiday had been ruined that returning your deposit honestly felt like the least I could do. I'm glad it helped. And we'll see you next time! Hopefully soon.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and I were in Seville for 3 nights as part of a longer trip around Spain. We had no pre-determined plans, but we had a great hotel concierge who made some suggestions when we were checking in. They had a tapas tour guide that they had a relationship with, and offered to book it if we were interested. After a day to settle in and see the city, we decided to take the hotel up on that offer, and have them book the tour. Unfortunately, that guide was booked for the next few days. But the hotel was very good and made a lot of effort to find an alternate tour we could take. They looked online and made a few calls. In the end, we ended up booking for that night with Shawn (initial kudos for Shawn being able to book at the 11th hour, as we talked with Shawn on the phone around 6pm, and met her at 8pm). So we were going in blind. We hadn't seen the website, any reviews, nothing. We were just ready to take whatever the night had in store.

Here is the summary of what our night was like: 1) Great tapas, VERY personalized towards our input of the foods we liked, the type of experience we were looking for, and our level of adventure. 2) Great conversation, including a lot of historical snippets about the City, cultural information, food information, and a lot of time just chatting as if we had all been friends for years (and this includes Peter, who was able to join us later in the night. The four of us were laughing and eating so much, we ended up getting home over 2 hours later than we thought we would). 3) By far the best price (which is the initial reason we chose this tour), but more importantly, the best value. The quality of the experience for what you pay is one of the best values we encountered during our entire 2.5 weeks in Spain.

We are from the San Francisco Bay Area, and consider ourselves not only "foodies", but also consider ourselves very familiary with the metropolitan restaraunt culture and social scene. Our night in Seville with Shawn and Peter met or exceeded every comparison we could possibly conjur up in our heads. It was a clear highlight of our trip.

1  Thank Mikalako
Shawn H, Owner at Azahar Sevilla Tapas Tour, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

I have to say that our evening out together was well worth missing Homeland! ;-) I think it's great that it all happened so spontaneously and then turned out to be such fun. I'm also very pleased to hear how highly you regarded the quality of the tour, and all the personal touches. The "chatting like old friends" thing is always great when it happens, though I can only take partial responsibility for that. And so I return the compliment and thank you guys for being such warm and engaging company, and also for leaving this great review.