“Not one to miss”

Las Casas de la Juderia
Ranked #35 of 177 Hotels in Seville
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The most extraordinary place I have ever stayed in full of surprises, full of history. If you are inclined towards a modern hotel forget this one But in my book this one is it for Sevilla it's in the centre of the old town with a first class restaurant opposite called. I'm afraid. ' Ponci' But we can forgive them that for their excellent food

• Stayed: October 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (2,831)

Reviewed October 8, 2013

A truly wonderful Hotel, unique in so many ways. the rooms are a joy , although there is a wide variety some are darker than others. The house keeping was perfect. The location is special ideal for walking and exploring in a central position of the old town. The reception however was a joke!
Twice I asked for early morning calls and they failed to ring me! The information service they provided was not reliable and they seemed over worked and poorly lead. Needs a manager to apply a professional approach. Food and breakfast very disappointing despite wonderful local staff doing their best.

Room Tip: A wide variety here, individual character rooms available.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank steve3448
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I don't quite understand several previous reviews on this hotel which describe some of the staff as 'unfriendly'. They are very helpful and friendly, as most Spanish usually are.

The hotel itself (set in the rambling old Jewish quarter of Seville) is a nice balance between old and pastiche old, and I can forgive them the odd fake beam bolted to a bedroom ceiling and for tripping over bits of genuine architectural items brought in to decorate the place.

When I say 'rambling', I mean that, after the initial introduction to your room (by following a porter down and up steps and through courtyards and corridors), you are left on your own with a detailed but slightly incomprehensible map, but you soon learn your way around - unless you are Japanese.

We spent an entire day and evening being entertained by watching a small party of Japanese tourists trying to find their rooms - something they found very difficult, even with the personal help of a passing maintenance man. One was still wandering around at about midnight, as we went to bed.

The breakfast here is great. The room (found by going down a set of dangerously steep steps) is an old wine-cellar with classical pillars, and is lined with aged mirrors which reflect the artificial lighting quite well. There are all manner of things to eat and drink, including many types of fresh fruit and squeezed juices. I managed to resist the open bottle of Champagne (or Cava) nestling in an ice-bucket with a bottle of white and a bottle of red close by on the table. It was, after all, only 8.30 am.

We thought that this place was great value and in a great location for all the sights to be seen in old Seville, and would happily stay there again. A real oasis with cool, dripping fountains.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tom S
Reviewed October 1, 2013

if you're looking for modern or you don't like quirky, this hotel isn't for you. However we loved that it was so unusual and full of character. When we 1st followed the porter to our room we thought we'd never find the way by ourselves as it was a real maze of corridors, patios and even a tunnel - it was one of the furthest rooms from the reception. However later we realised he was just taking the long way in order to use the lifts and it was only a charming 2 minutes walk away if we took the stairs. I read advice in one review to get a room close to reception ... well I totally disagree, it was so calm where we were and overlooking a beautiful patio. As there was only wifi near the reception we didn't have the constant noise of other guests hanging around as did the nearer rooms.

The room was large and clean, though a little old-fashioned, with fridge, safe, and a good bathroom and shower with toiletries renewed regularly. Air conditioning was just right and quiet enough to be able to keep on overnight. The only complaint was the lack of a decent reading light at night.

Breakfast was good (except for the scrambled eggs) and varied, including a delicious orange juice. The breakfast room was underground so no windows, but was pleasant enough. The staff at breakfast and reception were pleasant and helpful.

We used the rooftop pool once - small but nice to have after walking for hours in heat of 37°C (in September!). Plenty of sunbeds around.

The hotel is situated in one of the nicest areas of the town - a short walk from the cathedral, restaurants and many pretty streets. We walked everywhere, but you'll need a map as even with one (detailed and provided by the hotel) we ended up wrong a few times!

To summarise - I thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone as long as you can cope with a few steps!

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet, go for the part of the hotel the other side of the tunnel - which despi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Goodness, where to start. This is a 4 star hotel with some 5 star elements but basically a 2.5 - 3 star hotel. Very quirky and unusual the general cleanliness and maintenance is severely lacking. Initially we were give room 6, very musty with threadbare carpet that had not been vacuumed very well. I was traveling with my sister and the room was a twin and very small. We asked for a larger room and the front desk were amazingly helpful and friendly. We were given room 63 which was 3 times the size and had what looked like a fairly new floating floor. Again horribly musty but some incense helped. Huge shower head and spa bath but we couldn't unpack due to the hideous smell in the wardrobes which was a shame considering we were there for 3 nights.

Excellent pool, no elevators, wifi in public areas only but great location and friendly and helpful staff.

Not what I would expect from a 4 start hotel when there seemed to be some amazing alternatives close by.

If you are staying here I can highly recommend the Taberna Poncio literally across the square. The best and freshest food I've eaten during my whole 13 days in Spain.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sue H
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for our anniversary and we could not have chosen better. The hotel is absolutely charming - a maze of different Casas that have been united into one beautiful hotel. Our room was very comfortable and furnished well. The staff were all very professional and the service was excellent. It was also just a few minutes walk from the Cathedral and other main sites of Seville with plenty of nearby bars and restaurants. We would very happily stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PomPomRochdale
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Last year we stayed here, I gave this hotel a very decent review. I think the overall quirkiness of the layout distracted me from the other issues. Sadly this time they were very obvious.

First issue - This hotel could be a real gem, It's really well situated for the tourist sights. In order to fulfil it's full potential it requires a whole lot of investment (thought and money). I've got a good sense of direction and after one mistake managed to nail the route to our room. Others, I noticed, are not so lucky. The place is a real rabbit warren and the hotel have not made life easy for guests. I failed to notice any signs directing people to their rooms (most other hotels do). The only signs are for reception and breakfast and they're right at the entrance anyway (the very part the lost souls are trying to find). It shouldn't be a) a stretch of the imagination or b) expensive to make some signs to help your guests!
The decor is tired and shabby. Our room was just scruffy (39), just a little bit of money and care could turn it around. How about a lick of paint, new curtains, furniture that's not battered, a nice traditional rug on the floor and some nice plants on the balcony? - these are the sorts of touches you expect from a 'luxury hotel' (some visitors may have noticed that they feature in a 2013 issue of a luxury hotel guide - I guess this brochure is based upon willingness to pay the advertising fee rather than any inspection!).
I also think the cleaners could benefit from some training. There's no need to have black mould in the shower, there are plenty of cleaning products on the market to solve that. Failing that, good old fashioned elbow grease (get scrubbing !).

Second issue - The waiter/waitresses and porters were all pleasant. However the same could no be said of a certain member of reception staff (sadly did not record her name). When asked could she assist with the booking of a bus she told us that "we're not allowed to do that". We were told to do it ourselves on the internet. When we stated that we didn't have a device to connect to the internet the attitude was very much ' hard luck' and we were told to get a taxi or walk to the train station. This caused me a lot of concern as I have limited Spanish (though I do try my best to improve and use that which I do have) and the bus trip in question was required to get us back to the airport.
We had similar treatment at checkout when I asked for a taxi to the bus station - " we don't book taxis, they're around the corner". A surprise because last year they did exactly that!
All transactions with this character were unpleasant and just plain rude.

In short, think twice!

Room Tip: Try elsewhere!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple