“except the location for nothing a five grand luxury hotel”

Hotel Alfonso XIII, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Seville
Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Seville
Barcelona, Spain
“except the location for nothing a five grand luxury hotel”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

the hotel is great but i have a lot of but:
not a smile from anybody
at the check in they don't recognize my status
I had to ask , to pray better, for having late check out at 4.00 when the hotel was not full at all. I had to ask to three different people to get that!
the room is very very small and the bathroom more, from the buthtub only hot hot water.
the cost of minibar is a real robbery: 4,50 euros for a little bottle of water, I think that even if you are very reach one person had to be a little bit ... (I can't say the world)... to pay that ( the real cost in a supermarket is 15 cents) and in a minibar there is no service, no luxury, nothing: or better they think (the hotel management) thet we are simply tourists to be spoiled as chicken
when i reached my room i take my luggage and in the corridor there are three housekeeprs lovely speaking eachother, they don't tell to me no an hello and i had to ask PLESE to let me pass.... incredible.
in the hotel there were almost all american people, I don't know if the standard is for them. for sure as an european I saw really best standards in low category hotels (and cheapers) of Starwood.
never again, beautiful place, beautiful Seville, but terrible staff, unfriendly staff everything too expensive with a very very low quality. ( I saw a pizza that i think was worst of the one you can buy in a lowcost supermarket).
about breakfast: medium quality with nothing especial, terrible bread that you have to take with your hand to cut it (i don't think too igienic no?). a lot of beverages without explication, and so on for a lot of food (howful sausages....)
I'm used to the asiatic standards and this is nothing compared. I asked for a cup of coffe with milk (cafe con leche, i speak spanish) but with espresso coffe... well they give to me a little espresso with a few milk on side... nobody understood me.
where is the grand luxury five star hotel? it is not enough the location is essential the service and here there is a low categoty service.
what a pity !!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank trap34

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Bravo to the hotel management! This property is by far the best run hotel my husband and I have had the pleasure of experiencing (8 nights). The properties opulence, and perfect location is second to the staff. Many hotels are beautiful and have the perfect location, but this hotel has a well trained, friendly and efficient staff that makes your stay a pleasure! This hotel can and should be treated as a resort property, especially during hot summer afternoons. I'd recommend enjoying poolside sangria in the well decorated surroundings- very chic with flowing black sheer drapery (only some very low volume music would enhance the environment). The poolside services were fantastic-as we spent every afternoon there. I could provide countless daily examples of the staffs willingness and ability to extend warmth and hospitality. Most notable are the concierge services. The concierge was EXCEPTIONAL! He and the front desk team provided fantastic restaurant and sightseeing recommendations, and arranged tickets to all venues we requested. Not always easy, as in some cases they arranged for staff members to physically stand in line for some smaller performances we requested. They were also helpful in facilitating a date change on our train tickets, by sending someone to the station, so we could continue enjoying our vacation. That was helpfulness that certainly was above expectation and appreciated. Anna at the front desk was also a pleasure and extremely helpful; as was the gentleman at the front desk that recommend we watch the Spain vs Brazil soccer match one evening--we did and it was fun! I'd be remiss without mentioning the manager of restaurant (Sjour ) during breakfast. He's absolutely fantastic--courteous & efficient! I saw many complaints about breakfast services on trip advisor and was pleasantly surprised to see how wrong they were. Each morning I watched Sjour greet/seat and manage the staff to make sure guest were pleased. He frequently checked in with guest during or after breakfast to insure their satisfaction. Typically this is one of the most difficult positions in a hotel. (No one in my family, or circle of friends is in the hospitality industry. We travel 4-5 weeks a year and it's just an observation. I find that people complain more about complimentary breakfasts than anything. Frankly I find it annoying, as in most cases they wouldn't pay for it, but yet complain without reason). Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me to see Sjour become a luxury property manager in the future. The housekeeping staff is usually not mentioned in reviews. but in this case I have to note their extreme care to every detail. There was not a centimeter of floor that didn't shine or space that wasn't attended to daily--such a pleasure! I'd highly recommend staying at this property -- you'll love it!

• Stayed June 2013
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We visited 5 cities in Spain and stayed in 5 amazing top rated hotels. I loved them all, but my favorite stay was at Alfonzo XIII Hotel. If glamour, luxury, service, history, convenience is what you want in a hotel, this is it. I requested for a free upgrade upon check in, but the hotel was full at the time and therefore could not accommodate my request. Instead, we were given a credit for free drinks at their bar which we enjoyed. Our room was not big but it was bright and tastefully decorated with quality furniture and the most comfortable bed. The hotel just oozes luxury. My husband and I enjoyed the piano bar area where we sat with our drinks and just listened to relaxing piano music being played. All the positive reviews I've read in trip advisor about this hotel is true and I'm so glad I decided to stay here for our three nights stay in beautiful Seville. We walked everywhere as Plaza Espana, The Cathedral, The Alcazar were all within walking distance. The hotel concierge arranged a dinner reservation for me and my husband and we were so very happy with his recommendation we ate there 2 nights in a row.. Every hotel staff we had the pleasure to interact with were warm, helpful and courteous. We did not eat at the hotel since there are so many choices outside. I hope to be able to return to Seville someday with my whole family and stay here. Anyway, the cab driver who drove us to our hotel from the train station told us that there is another Alfonzo hotel in Seville which is in a different caliber. I wonder if some negative reviews are meant for another hotel only because I just did not see any fault during our stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is a hotel with a panache, style and poise with a posture of grandeur. It is a superb palace styled
as a hotel. If I could afford I would have stayed much longer . It is expensive yet one does not mind the
expense because you feel its worth it. The service was fragmented but the presentation was still
par excellence. They need to appoint smart managers and assistant managers who over see the
high net worth guests. The front desk staff were excellent as were the concierge.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I chose this hotel because i like nice hotel in middle of seville with car parking but reaching this hotel is really difficult Because the road in front of it blocked for pedestrians only, so if you come by car study the route carefully and don't depend on GPS a lot.
The hotel is very old hotel that was renovated except the elevators where they are very small & slow. But the rooms are really nice and large and very elegant.

• Stayed April 2013
New York
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My family and I stayed at this beautiful hotel for 2 nights. It's was our 2nd leg of our trip which started in Madrid. We went on to Granada and Barcelona. This hotel looks like a landmark. We checked in and were led to two impressive connecting rooms. They were picturesque but there was a sewage smell coming from one of the bathrooms. Having reserved the rooms through AMEX Fine Hotel and Resorts, we were offered a free lunch or dinner. We had checked in around 2pm and decided to have lunch. We requested the bathroom be looked at while we dined. The restaurant served very delicious food but the service was only fair. The odor from the bathroom persisted even after the maintenance personnel had looked into it. We complained again and were told that the pipes needed to be cleaned, and were asked when we would be gone for several hours while they did the work. We went for a nice, long walk and returned several hours later. The smell was better, but not completely gone. The hotel had undergone a thorough renovation recently so this was surprising. The pool area and garden looked like paradise but unfortunately we did not get to use it as our trip was short. Staff was friendly. The hotel is considered the finest in. Sevilla. We enjoyed our stay, except for the first couple of hours.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Strattonskier
Saint Augustine
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We were traveling from Madrid to Seville and decided to go to the Alfonso. The hotel is in one of the best locations in town. You are at the edge of the old city and a short walk from Plaza Espania. It's architecture in magnificent in the old Moorish Style. The rooms are great and the staff friendly and fluent in English. If we go back to Seville we would stay there again. I would advise avoiding the Easter Season as prices are much higher.

• Stayed March 2013