“Very nice staff”

The Garden Backpacker
Ranked #40 of 153 Specialty Lodging in Seville
“Very nice staff”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I arrived at this hostel without a booking at 5.30am, as my overnight bus was ahead of schedule. I was able to book a room for the next night, but check in at 5.30. This was an unexpected great surprise, so was very happy!

The facilities were clean and in good condition, and the location is reasonable. You are able to pay to join the staff and other guests for a home-cooked meal, or use the kitchen yourself.

Don forget the free, delicious sangria from 7.30 every night!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I was doubtful of even going to Seville and after reaching of what we'd do in this city but the experience was multiplied multifold by this amazing amazing hostel. At a cheap price point, the hostel had an amazing atmosphere, great clean rooms and bathrooms and one of the best staff I've ever encountered (For a hotel / hostel and I've stayed in even Sheraton / Hilton / Waldorf Astoria..)..

Right the moment we entered, a nice lady gave us a map and told us all we could do in two days in Seville, suggested good places to eat and even made an itinerary for us. She as well as the other new girl at the reception were kind of cute. :)

The hostel rooms were good and clean and had safe lockers inside. Another good thing was that the common room in the hostel had lot of books, movies, TV, Nintendo Wi. The kitchen was decent and there were vending machines which you could use for snacks. The decor is phenomenal and suits the name. And the best part was the garden (From which the name comes). There are trees in the backyard, hammocks, good table/chairs. You can sit there, relax, chat with other backpackers while having a drink (They have a bar in the backyard).

They also serve free Sangria every evening which is amazing and you can have as much as you want. There are also Paella dishes that they make which you can buy. The hostel can also arrange for walking / bike tours.

No wonder it had all those Top 10 hostel in the World / Spain awards hanging on the wall. I was even surprised to see my name on the blackboard behind the reception saying 'Welcome Ankit and friends' which was a pleasant welcome to this phenomenal hostel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SerendipityIndia
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This hostel has everything you need! Friendly staff, hot showers, comfy beds, free sangria, big kitchen and cheap laundry!
Close to everything we wanted to check out and some awesome tapas nearby. We stayed here twice and loved both times!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jacinta182
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

This is for Philippe, I hope you'll read this/ will highly appreceate if the hostel staff fwd this to him.

Philipe, your insults to my country (yeah, insults, not jokes!) were not appropriate in any way. You even bragged about getting another israeli girl into tears- no wonder.
Apart from the fact that your supposed-to-be-funny-comments were just awkward and made people feel realy uncomfortable (not just us, FYI) - for a non-official tour guide who's working for backpacker hostels I would expect the exact opposite behavior when meeting young travelers,
ESPECIALY from conflict contries- asking questions, getting curios, trying to hear different perspectives. You didn't even try that (saddly for you, you didn't have the chance to hear a local israeli opinion that I guess you would've found much more close to your thoughts, not like the prejudice thoughts you must have on all of us), you just used your childish humor with total disrespect, saying a lot of tasteless and ignorant stuff on the way. The last thing I imagined feeling from someone in your position.

Hope you'll read this and do some rethinking, or just keep your thoughts to yourself for the next time, because no one should ever feel attacked like this while traveling away from home.

Zohar from Israel

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Zohar W
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2013

One of the best hostels I've experienced. I extended my stay. Staff are helpful, warm and friendly. Their bar and restaurant recommendations were actually quality local spots! Wifi went down (seems to be a regular occurrence at hostels!) but they had a seamless backup service.
Free sangria most nights, lots of cool spaces to chill out - especially the garden. So much to do and see within walking distance and a walking tour with Juan helped get my bearings. Would definitely return and highly recommend to other budget conscious traveller.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Intransit84
Malta
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Close to the centre. Easy to get to from the airport. Comfortable and contained all necessities needed whilst traveling. Surprisingly clean and very helpful staff. Good wifi connection. Fun activities organized by the place. Overall a great place to rest between sightseeing and exploring Seville.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
cambridge, england
Reviewed October 25, 2013

just come back from my first (solo) trip to Seville- staying at the Garden backpacker really made it even more enjoyable- great atmosphere (laid back & welcoming) & great staff (big shout out to Claudia & Valentina) This is not a hostel for people wanting to large it 24/7- it starts winding down at midnight so people who want to, can get decent nights sleep. There is 24 hour reception cover, so people can head out and come back whenever they want, but are asked to keep th noise down when they do come back
The hostel is about a 15 minute walk from Santa Justa train station ( I got the airport bus for 4 euro to the station ) however, as I didn't get there until 21:30 I got a cab from outside the station for about 7.10E
At the hostel, I got a free glass of sangria whilst I was checking in. Claudio gave me a great map and marked places of interest (really helpful) I hired a towel for 1E (decent big towel) as I was taking carry on luggage only and didn't have room to bring my own. I was pleased to see there were hairdryers to use free of charge as well.
the hostel is old but charming, the communal areas are laid out well, there is a kitchen (really well stocked if you want to cook, and storage for your food-cupboards, fridge & free tea and coffee!),lounge and small diner area leading out onto the garden which has a bar (free sangria every night 19:30-20:30 , beer is 1E, wine 1:50E) there are also laundry facilities ( I didn't use but others said it was a small charge)
I was in the mixed four bed dorm- this was quite small, with a small window but there was only ever 3 max in there which helped! there are lockable lockers for luggage although backpackers would struggle to get all there stuff in, however, there is room under the bunks and in the corner of the room to store stuff. there are also small security boxes (free of charge) at reception for valuables (there are also huge storage lockers in reception where you can leave bags when you check out if you want to get more sightseeing in- charge of 1E)
the bathrooms/shower are a little old but clean - on our landing, there were four showers.
There are computers available free of charge upstairs and free Wi-Fi throughout the hostel
The hostel has stopped doing breakfast, however, there are plenty of places nearby to get a good and cheap breakfast- at the end of the street (going towards Ponce De Leon) on the left is a bar called freski- this is frequented by Spaniards and feels very authentic- there are also numerous other places if you turn left and keep walking.
The hostel is very near the major sights , all within easy walking distance (the Mushrooms, Cathedral, Alacazar, Plaza de Espana, Barrio Santa Cruz) I would recommend the Plaza Alfalfa for the tapas in the evening- again really near the hostel, this area has plenty of places to try & had a great atmosphere in the evening and the tapas were great (as was the vino tinto- about 2.50E a glass!)
highlights for me were the free walking tours offered by the hostel (they are tip-based) I went on the morning tour with Fillipo which took us from the Cathedral up to the Plaza de Espana (with plenty to see in between) and the afternoon tour with Juan took in the Jewish Quarter in Barrio Santa Cruz. I couldn't recommend these tours enough- I learned (and retained) so much more than from the guide book as these guys were knowledgeable and very charismatic
The hostel also offers a pub crawl and paella nights- I tried the paella for 7E which was lovely and was offered seconds which along with the free sangria and company in the garden was quite good value. I didn't try the pub crawl as met some great people at the hostel and we all went out together to eat & drink in the evening- but if travelling alone, great to have as a back up
If traveling onwards to other cities from Seville- the hostel offers 10% discount on hostels in Granada & Madrid (possibly others , but I cant remember)
So overall, I would definitely recommend this hostel- not as snazzy as other hostels I have stayed in , but the atmosphere, staff and people I met there really made my trip amazing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs- those staying in the 12 bed dorm downstairs at the front said it was quite...